Injury Report: Claude Giroux: right hand surgery, could return as early as Sept. 24 (post #173)

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
I'm so disappointed. :( The last time (only time) I met Giroux was at a party just after Gatineau swept the Mooseheads in rd 3 of the playoffs. I have been a life long Flyers fan, and during that series, Giroux became my favourite player... despite the fact that he was almost single handedly destroying one of the best or best Mooseheads' clubs in history. Then when he got drafted to Philly it was the best thing ever, and the rest is history obviously, what has happened with him in his time with Philly thus far. So definitely still my favourite player by far, etc.

Anyway... So, I live in Calgary these days and I've made good friends with an older fella who owns a successful sports memorbilia company. He has exclusive contracts with some NHLers/HoFers and other things. He will be spending time at the Sheraton they're staying at with the players and doing some business. He invited me and I got the green light to spend one of the days out there with him, which I was majorly excited about, for meeting Giroux. As soon as I heard of the injury I was really disappointed... Now that it's confirmed he won't be attending, it really sucks. :(

I'll still go, and I guess it'll be pretty cool, but still... Definitely not the same.

EDIT: At least I should get an opportunity to say hello at the Flyers' Wives Charity Festival though this year.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20130904_Giroux_stands_by_golf_story__will_be_ready_for_opener.html

Giroux isn't worried. He expects to be ready when the season starts Oct. 2 against the Maple Leafs, and the Flyers try to erase the memories of their Lockout Year Blues. In case you've forgotten, they missed the playoffs for just the second time in the last 18 seasons.

"I think everything will be back to 100 percent. I have no worries at all," said the Flyers captain. "The doctor says everything will be good."

While golfing in Ottawa about three weeks ago, Giroux's club inexplicably shattered and splintered into his right index finger, requiring tendon surgery.

Some folks think there's more to the story, that Giroux was upset with a shot and wrapped his club around a tree.

Forget those theories, Giroux said.

A gifted golfer who has an 8 handicap, Giroux said he used a pitching wedge for a 145-yard shot from the fairway and simply hit the grass far behind the ball, causing the club to shatter.

"I had to go over a tree and I tried to shoot it high," Giroux said the other day.

Instead, the ball barely moved and Giroux dropped to his knees in pain.

lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I'm no Jim Furyk, but isn't 145 yards for a pitching wedge a bit ambitious?
He was behind a tree so he was trying to hit it straight up in the air and go over it, so he was trying to hit down on the ball hard with a sandwedge and the club snapped at the handle when he buried it in the ground. He didn't say he was going for the green, just over the tree.

No more graphite clubs is the new team policy.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
He was behind a tree so he was trying to hit it straight up in the air and go over it, so he was trying to hit down on the ball hard with a sandwedge and the club snapped at the handle when he buried it in the ground. He didn't say he was going for the green, just over the tree.

No more graphite clubs is the new team policy.

Like I said, I don't golf, so I have no idea what he was trying to do. Thanks for the explanation, that actually makes sense.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

Not really for an athlete. I am a 8 handicap and would hit an 8 from there, but I m short and chubby :laugh: I know plenty of guys that would hit a 9 or wedge from there. If he was trying to clear a tree he obviously had her open and swung way too hard which caused him to lift his head and bury the club !

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Not really for an athlete. I am a 8 handicap and would hit an 8 from there, but I m short and chubby :laugh: I know plenty of guys that would hit a 9 or wedge from there. If he was trying to clear a tree he obviously had her open and swung way too hard which caused him to lift his head and bury the club !

Yeah, a lot of guys can hit their PW upwards of 140-145, which is excellent because of the added feel. I would hit a 9 from that distance and it's possible that Giroux may normally do that, but needed the loft to get over the tree. He must of been swinging hard as hell, because it's nearly impossible to snap a wedge, even if you drive it way into the ground behind the ball. In fact, I've never even see anybody do it, and I've been playing 25-30 rounds of golf a year for 10+ years.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
This is the latest update (Sept. 5)...

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=681554&navid=DL|PHI|home

Most importantly is captain Claude Giroux, who needed surgery on his index finger last month after his pitching wedge shattered in his hand during a shot at a golf course outside of Ottawa.

Originally listed as a 5-to-6 week injury, Giroux appears on track for a quicker return after a visit with the doctor Wednesday.

“Everything is good,” Holmgren said. “He’s going to keep the little splint on for a few more days just to be on the safe side. You can see he’s still skating and doing all his off-ice workouts. He can’t use his hand right now to use his stick or anything, but he should be able to start his rehab Monday for a week or 10 days.”

However, Holmgren said that Giroux wouldn’t necessarily miss any time in training camp.

“I think he’ll be able to take part in a lot of stuff,” he said. “But we’ll know better on Monday.”

who needed surgery on his index finger last month after his pitching wedge shattered in his hand during a shot at a golf course outside of Ottawa

Chris Farley's character Matt Foley, Motivational Speaker, would have done wonders with this sentence.

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Yeah, a lot of guys can hit their PW upwards of 140-145, which is excellent because of the added feel. I would hit a 9 from that distance and it's possible that Giroux may normally do that, but needed the loft to get over the tree. He must of been swinging hard as hell, because it's nearly impossible to snap a wedge, even if you drive it way into the ground behind the ball. In fact, I've never even see anybody do it, and I've been playing 25-30 rounds of golf a year for 10+ years.

Pretty much exactly why I don't buy the story. Whether it be a scratch golfer or a 30 handicap, snapping a wedge because you hit behind the ball is essentially impossible. He got pissed, it's as simple as that

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Pretty much exactly why I don't buy the story. Whether it be a scratch golfer or a 30 handicap, snapping a wedge because you hit behind the ball is essentially impossible. He got pissed, it's as simple as that

Does it really matter though? If that's what really happened, I'd think he'd just admit it. It's not like he would be in any kind of trouble. It's nothing worth lying over. All we should be worried over is if he will be ready for the season and from all reports I've read he will be.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Does it really matter though? If that's what really happened, I'd think he'd just admit it. It's not like he would be in any kind of trouble. It's nothing worth lying over. All we should be worried over is if he will be ready for the season and from all reports I've read he will be.

Well I'm sure Snider, Homer, & Lavi wouldn't be too pleased if their captain & best player missed time during training camp & preseason because he's a hot head on the golf course.

I don't care personally because like you said he'll be back by the home opener & I've been guilty of losing my temper on the golf course before as well but he does have an incentive to lie about the situation.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Well I'm sure Snider, Homer, & Lavi wouldn't be too pleased if their captain & best player missed time during training camp & preseason because he's a hot head on the golf course.

I don't care personally because like you said he'll be back by the home opener & I've been guilty of losing my temper on the golf course before as well but he does have an incentive to lie about the situation.

Well yeah they'd probably have a quick sit down with him and tell him to chill the hell out. I guess I was just thinking about it as if I were in his shoes. I'd just admit to it even if it meant Im going to get my ass chewed out. Then I'd learn from it and move forward.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Disagree. Why can't anyone ever be accused of telling the truth?

It's not like he was at a media-sponsored event or anything, where there might be dozens of journalists around to catch him in a bad lie (pun intentional). D'oh!

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013

Not really, depending on the player. I'm a 10 handicap and I would certainly be using a pitching wedge from that distance, especially if I needed to get over a tree. I'll use my PW for anything from 115-150 yards. For anything shorter, I have a 53 degree wedge(Most experienced golfers will have a club with a higher loft than a PW) while a pitching wedge which is usually around a 48-49 degree loft.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
An update regarding Giroux from today (Sept. 12):

Giroux caught and dished passes on Thursday at a normal rate of speed. He has not been cleared to shoot yet. Instead, Giroux simply passed the puck to goaltenders when entering the zone.

“I wasn’t too sure what I would be able to do, but I was feeling good,” Giroux said. “I wasn’t even sure I was going to be able to touch the puck. I didn’t really have a gameplan.”

Previously, Giroux skated with teammates in informal “captains practices” last week in Voorhees, N.J., but didn’t participate in puck-moving drills. Thursday was a step in the right direction.

His goal is to test his surgically repaired hand in a preseason game or two before the regular season opens on Oct. 2. Giroux last played a competitive game in May at the World Championships in Sweden and Finland.

“I don’t want to force it too much,” Giroux said. “I think having a preseason game would be good. I haven’t played in a while. Even those flow drills that we were doing was good to try and get some of the game shape back. I hope I’ll be able to keep going with the process as the pace keeps going. It was fun to be back on the ice.”
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/frequentflyers/Girouxs-hand-progressing.html#UPHoXLcfIHs3DoGT.99

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Yeah. Beer Ball is best. It's not a drinking game, it's a drinking sport.

Beer ball is great. Last time I played we only had one casualty. Screen door now has a giant man shaped hole

If we're talking about drinking "sports," hockey is the end all be all.

Equipment:
One empty glass bottle per player
One quarter
One preferably rectangular table
Mass quantities of beer

Instructions:
One person is given a quarter to start. All other participants begin with one elbow on the table and hand in the air. The person with the quarter spins the quarter on the table and calls out a name of a participant. At that point everyone may use two fingers (and only two fingers) of the hand that is in the air to guard their bottle a/k/a goal (pinky and pointer work best). The person whose name was called then "shoots" the quarter at anyone's bottle.

If it hits a bottle play stops. The goal scorer then spins the coin and the goalie has to drink until the quarter stops spinning. If the goal scorer can successfully stop the quarter standing up, the goalie must finish their beer. Once the goalie is done drinking, they spin the quarter. The quarter remains in play until it hits scores a goal or lays flat.

There are no prohibitions against spinning the coin close to someone's bottle in an effort to make them drink.

Best game ever. Haven't played in years, unfortunately. :(

EDIT: Also Mexican can be pretty fun if you have the right crowd.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
LAKE PLACID, N.Y. -- Flyers captain Claude Giroux continues to progress from his offseason right hand injury, and could be ready to see game action as soon as next Tuesday’s preseason game against the New Jersey Devils.

“I’d love to, that’s for sure,” Giroux said. “As long as my hand lets me be 100 percent Tuesday, I’d love to play. We’ll see how I feel then.”

Giroux again participated in the Flyers’ full practice, which on Thursday consisted of three 30-40 minute on-ice sessions alternating between two rinks at the Lake Placid Olympic Center.

He’s pleased with how his rehab is going.

“If there was pain I don’t think I’d be shooting,” he said. “I’d be more cautious, but it feels good.”

Coach Peter Laviolette refrained from saying Giroux is “on schedule” to return, stating instead that the decision is GM Paul Holmgren’s territory. He did, however, say Giroux looked solid yet again during practice.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/flyers-injury-update-could-giroux-play-tuesday

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad