Claude Giroux: "Reasons to be Cheerful Part III"

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm just happy he's with Couts for the long run, I think it'll extend his peak years by 2-3 years.

They could have gone with Giroux and Voracek and Filppula and Couts, but we've seen G & V struggle together the last few years.
They're both pass first forwards, and neither is really focused on defense. Raffl worked well with them at times, but I'm not sure Weal would be a good fit, and Lindblom as a rookie was probably not optimal either (in 2-3 years that might be a different matter).

I think Couts was the key because of his ability to handle physical centers and his on ice instincts which allows Giroux to gamble a bit more and make plays. And Couts has developed as a shooter, which gives Giroux a better option. Notice Konecny doing just as well as Voracek on their right, and even Simmonds played well with them.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I wonder if he likes Point so much or if he was just fresh on the mind. :laugh:

Still high praise. Also was on the WC team with him now that I think about it.

He’s a Barzal fan too. Interesting. Should of drafted!

Got to love G, interesting he went with Sid over McJesus

He has never played with McDavid. He played at the WC with Crosby and they made amends. Plus just respect factor all these years.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Giroux to the wing was the natural progression eventually anyways, so not sure Hak deserves major credit for that. I just didn't think it would happen for another year or two until Patrick was ready to assume a top six role, and/or a guy like Rubstov/Frost was somewhere in the lineup.

Giroux still takes a ton of faceoffs, and if moving to the wing keeps Giroux as an elite producer through the end of his contract, count me as someone that's happy with the move to the wing. Elite Giroux is my favorite player to watch since 88.

the move was fine. this might be the best chemistry Giroux has had with a player since Hartnell left. I dont care who takes the credit for the switch, the move has paid off. to say leaving Giroux at C and slot on player x and x and everything would be fine is just opinion. With the down season Simmonds had had this move looks even better.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Yzerman is high as well. Makes some sense because he models his game after Yzerman's

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Imagine if Hextall had taken the advice of certain fans and traded Giroux with 50% retention this past summer and made Simmonds captain.

Ooof.. I remember those times. I think people put too much emphasis on heart as some quantity that is going to lead this team to a cup.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Ooof.. I remember those times. I think people put too much emphasis on heart as some quantity that is going to lead this team to a cup.
For shits and giggles, what were some of the potential trades people were tossing out? How would that have worked out point wise? With or without Coots as 1C.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
For ****s and giggles, what were some of the potential trades people were tossing out? How would that have worked out point wise? With or without Coots as 1C.

Oh I can't recall, the trades weren't very pretty though. I think his production was a bit of a concern but people acted like he was some super over paid player.

Reactions: Defect

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
For ****s and giggles, what were some of the potential trades people were tossing out? How would that have worked out point wise? With or without Coots as 1C.
I may be remembering wrong, but I think one was something around Giroux for Galchenyuk...

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
He has said a few times that Yzerman was his favourite player growing up as well.

That was my favorite part of that. It's always good to remind people how great - and I mean truly great - Stevie Y was. Horribly overshadowed by the drunk and the uberturd, but an awesome all-time great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad