Claude Giroux: "Reasons to be Cheerful Part III"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think he could see the HOF but it's probably gonna take 30 years. However was recognized in the end, but then again he has that last name.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Giroux's physical limitations were illustrated by the play in front of the net where he got a slashing call because he couldn't physically manhandle a bigger player and had to try to knock his stick off the puck. One reason why LW is better for him at this point in his career, Couts now gets the matchups against the big physical centers. Less responsibilities, less skating is how you extend a player's career.

I don't like him on the PK b/c from a cost benefit standpoint it's extra minutes where his margin over someone like Raffl is marginal, while his margin at ES and the PP over most players is huge - so ration his minutes where they have the most value.

Reactions: JXC

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Giroux's physical limitations were illustrated by the play in front of the net where he got a slashing call because he couldn't physically manhandle a bigger player and had to try to knock his stick off the puck.

You mean the play where Giroux, playing LW, was scrambling to get position and had to slash because he was the last player in front of the net and covering for the completely absent defense?

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
And guess who was providing asbsent defense ?????

I'll get my best thinkers on this difficult question.

cut.jpeg

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I'll say it. I think Giroux would be as good or better (for the team at the very least) at C than at wing this year.

Giroux was very clearly injured last season and is very clearly not this season. He has looked like the Giroux of years past. He has finally had two fully capable line mates for most of the season instead of attempting to drag around dead weight or other struggling players. Yes, Couturier is a reason that Giroux is looking good. They elevate each other's play. I think a fully healthy Giroux with Konecny on his wing and a player (Lindblom?) on his left would have been stellar all season as well. Unfortunately, we never got to see that line up because the big wigs thought it would be better to have Lindblom play in the AHL all season.

Not to mention Giroux at C makes it possible for Filp to play LW which is likely a better fit for his current play.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Giroux was healthy the two seasons before last year and didn't play like he has this season.
Couts takes a lot off his shoulders as a premier defensive center who can handle big opposing centers, and at LW Giroux doesn't have to skate as much nor deal with the same level of defensive responsibility.
Couts also provides CYA so Giroux can gamble a little more.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Giroux to the wing was the natural progression eventually anyways, so not sure Hak deserves major credit for that. I just didn't think it would happen for another year or two until Patrick was ready to assume a top six role, and/or a guy like Rubstov/Frost was somewhere in the lineup.

Giroux still takes a ton of faceoffs, and if moving to the wing keeps Giroux as an elite producer through the end of his contract, count me as someone that's happy with the move to the wing. Elite Giroux is my favorite player to watch since 88.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Giroux was healthy the two seasons before last year and didn't play like he has this season.
Couts takes a lot off his shoulders as a premier defensive center who can handle big opposing centers, and at LW Giroux doesn't have to skate as much nor deal with the same level of defensive responsibility.
Couts also provides CYA so Giroux can gamble a little more.
He had big hip surgery May 2016... It just may have effected his play in 15-16 season. Just maybe.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He had big hip surgery May 2016... It just may have effected his play in 15-16 season. Just maybe.

Except there is little falloff between 2014-15 and 2015-16, it was 2016-17 where his play fell apart.
2014-15: 11-25 36 ES CorsiRel 6.5
2015-16: 15-23 38 ES CorsiRel 4.9

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
If he was in worse shape last year due to surgery doesn't mean the injury itself didn't have any effect on him before the surgery.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sure, that's why he's playing Giroux at LW and Filppula at center.
Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

Reactions: YesCubed

Magua

Clutchest Genes to Ever Gene
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Giroux being at wing has just as much to do with his chemistry with Couturier. They can’t play together otherwise. Serious question. If LW Giroux had moved down to play with Flip, and Jake had stayed with Coots, how would things have shaken out of late?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Giroux being at wing has just as much to do with his chemistry with Couturier. They can’t play together otherwise. Serious question. If LW Giroux had moved down to play with Flip, and Jake had stayed with Coots, how would things have shaken out of late?
Ask Jake how it is....lol....not good.

Reactions: CodyTheHuman

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Giroux and Raffl should do 5 minute shorts for the team. Kesler does a lot for the Ducks even though he's a bland unfunny loser

Reactions: Appleyard
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->