Claude Giroux: "Reasons to be Cheerful Part III"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Our return on a Giroux Cup search before his illustrious career ends would be massive!
G’s proficiency and consistency will always be treasured and remembered but...the Flyers would have a package to compete for years to come!
Trading quality for quantity is the exact opposite of what we should be doing. Especially when we have no replacement for Giroux and he’s not even declining.

The only real option is to keep him and continue improving around him while hes still a god.

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
Trading quality for quantity is the exact opposite of what we should be doing. Especially when we have no replacement for Giroux and he’s not even declining.

The only real option is to keep him and continue improving around him while hes still a god.
GOD can come back after the rapture...
AND when the Flyers recover from the bad place they are in now!
We are in bad shape!!!

Reactions: fat

Phillyfan28

Jun 3, 2013
GOD can come back after the rapture...
AND when the Flyers recover from the bad place they are in now!
We are in bad shape!!!

You can end sentences with periods instead of exclamation points.

FWIW, and I think many on here and have suggested this in prior years, it’s entirely possible G isn’t your top producer by the time this Defense group and now Goalie are prepared to win you a cup. He might be your crafty 2LW who provides veteran leadership and clutch scoring during the cup run. It seems like his style lends itself to longevity so I think we could enjoy a number of more productive seasons for the O&B

Reactions: Fasu and Tripod

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
After 73 games, Giroux's tied for 44th in PP scoring.
Last year he was tied for 6th... with 3 of the people ahead of him being on the same unit.

Just shows how much this broken bullshit PP has sabotaged his scoring. He didn't change, the setup did.
With normal PP scoring he likely has ~10 more points this year, putting him top 10 in scoring instead of 20th.

And that doesn't even consider the idiotic usage he's dealt with at 5v5... shuffled around on various broken lines for no reason, playing all three forward positions, and CONSTANTLY with Hagg (who has played more with Giroux at 5v5 than ANY player on the team, including D partners and goalies).

Giroux's quality of play has been at a high level again this year, but not properly reflected in his scoring.

Last edited:

pacehimself

Oct 5, 2008
You can end sentences with periods instead of exclamation points.

FWIW, and I think many on here and have suggested this in prior years, it’s entirely possible G isn’t your top producer by the time this Defense group and now Goalie are prepared to win you a cup. He might be your crafty 2LW who provides veteran leadership and clutch scoring during the cup run. It seems like his style lends itself to longevity so I think we could enjoy a number of more productive seasons for the O&B

Exclamation points are the difference between a philly “fan” and a philly “fanatic”

Reactions: dingbathero

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
32795AEC-0088-4463-B7CC-034B8C027DF5.jpeg
Exclamation points are the difference between a philly “fan” and a philly “fanatic”

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
And that's with...
-a PP that's scored 16 less goals than last year (not at all his fault)
-being jerked around and playing all three forward positions
-constantly rotating linemates, except for when they had that broken line for a month, which the coach refused to change
-constantly being stuck with Hagg

The guy has been fantastic this year, even better than his scoring suggests.
Based on his play, he deserves like 10 more points, at least. If those above problems were fixed, I'd bet my life he'd have done exactly that.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
And that's with...
-a PP that's scored 16 less goals than last year (not at all his fault)
-being jerked around and playing all three forward positions
-constantly rotating linemates, except for when they had that broken line for a month, which the coach refused to change
-constantly being stuck with Hagg

The guy has been fantastic this year, even better than his scoring suggests.
Based on his play, he deserves like 10 more points, at least. If those above problems were fixed, I'd bet my life he'd have done exactly that.
Giroux has 15 less PP points than last year.
Voracek 19 less
Ghost 20 less

Amazing what happens when you take all 3 and arrange them so all are not in 1 timer positions.

I guess PP points DO matter.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Giroux has 15 less PP points than last year.
Voracek 19 less
Ghost 20 less

Amazing what happens when you take all 3 and arrange them so all are not in 1 timer positions.

I guess PP points DO matter.
Kinda seems like it, huh... who could have guessed that PP scoring counts just as much as 5v5 scoring?

Just think of how many games we lost because of this single coaching mistake. Even past those lost goals, think of how much a PP goal does to give a team momentum or give a player some confidence.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
The biggest issues with the PP were Simmonds' ineffectiveness and inability to finish on chances he'd normally bury/not playing JVR on the top unit and Ghost's inability to hit the net for about two months.

I don't really like this narrative that the power play was some autonomous machine the players entered and had no control over the outcome. Giroux, Ghost and Voracek haven't been as good this year as last year. They share responsibility for the lack of goals.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Share? Yes. But when you have coaching helping to sabotage you, it matters.

Giroux himself has 2 PP goals after having 9 last year. And his 21 PPP ties his 2nd worst season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
PP scoring tends to be more variable than ES scoring, much smaller sample for one thing.
Ghost wasn't as good this year running the PP, which is one reason Knob started tinkering to try and jump start it.
But bad luck played a part, Sh% is way below previous seasons, some might be skill but . . .
Overall, ranked 11 in SCF (9th last season) but 28th in SC Sh%, 2nd in HDCF (6th last season) but 23rd in HD Sh%.
So they're generating scoring opportunities at their normal rate, but not finishing them.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The biggest issues with the PP were Simmonds' ineffectiveness and inability to finish on chances he'd normally bury/not playing JVR on the top unit and Ghost's inability to hit the net for about two months.

I don't really like this narrative that the power play was some autonomous machine the players entered and had no control over the outcome. Giroux, Ghost and Voracek haven't been as good this year as last year. They share responsibility for the lack of goals.
What hurt the players most were things out of their control.

It’s not their fault that coaches refused to remove Simmonds or that they were forced onto their wrong sides.

It seems like every time there’s a scramble, and they momentarily end up on their proper sides, we end up scoring... but they never get the hint and adjust the setup.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
What hurt the team most was not scoring goals. Ghost didn't have a good year because he didn't score enough goals. That's his fault.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
What hurt the team most was not scoring goals. Ghost didn't have a good year because he didn't score enough goals. That's his fault.
Giroux and Voracek didn’t either. All of them were unable to score on the PP the way they normally did, and that’s obviously not because all three top tier PP players magically lost their ability.

The PP started off with an unsustainable slump, then has terrible personnel changes, and then transitioned into a completely broken setup. That alone has done an insane amount of harm to this teams play this year, including individual scoring. Giroux and Voracek being on the wrong side screws them... and them being screwed screws Ghost. Not to mention having the spirit of Wayne Simmonds haunting them for months.

Ghosts struggles this year have been a massively exaggerated meme. If the PP isn’t broke the meme wouldn’t exist because suddenly he has like 10+ more points and people aren’t hyper-analyzing him and digging for things to hypocritically complain about.

Reactions: GagneHanson12

GagneHanson12

Aug 15, 2011
Giroux and Voracek didn’t either. All of them were unable to score on the PP the way they normally did, and that’s obviously not because all three top tier PP players magically lost their ability.

The PP started off with an unsustainable slump, then has terrible personnel changes, and then transitioned into a completely broken setup. That alone has done an insane amount of harm to this teams play this year, including individual scoring. Giroux and Voracek being on the wrong side screws them... and them being screwed screws Ghost. Not to mention having the spirit of Wayne Simmonds haunting them for months.

Ghosts struggles this year have been a massively exaggerated meme. If the PP isn’t broke the meme wouldn’t exist because suddenly he has like 10+ more points and people aren’t hyper-analyzing him and digging for things to hypocritically complain about.
I agree that a lot of the vocal "moronity" would be much quieter if Ghost had 10 more points on the PP (for reference, he has 13 PPP, last year he had 33).

Since the PP was crap to start and then thrown in a blender, and because people always need a scapegoat, they picked the player hit hardest by the PP.

Reactions: Rebels57 and Magua
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad