Claude Giroux: Part "Fire, Air, Water, Earth"

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I heard AV say that he gave Giroux a training regimen to follow during the current offseason. He also mentioned that he gave Giroux a regimen before last season which Giroux did not follow.
I know everyone loves Giroux, but after seeing his performance in the round robin and playoffs, where he was nearly pointless and completely useless, I don't understand how he constantly gets unending support.
I cannot stand that the team can't do a thing about him due to the no movement clause in his horrible contract.
I've had enough of Giroux, it's time for the team/organisation to move on without him.
Before you G supporters go on and accuse me of not watching the games, and that I don't know what I'm talking about, just rewind some of the footage of those playoff and round robin games and follow 28 on the ice. His performance was brutal.

Reactions: Dornhoeffer

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I heard AV say that he gave Giroux a training regimen to follow during the current offseason. He also mentioned that he gave Giroux a regimen before last season which Giroux did not follow.
I know everyone loves Giroux, but after seeing his performance in the round robin and playoffs, where he was nearly pointless and completely useless, I don't understand how he constantly gets unending support.
I cannot stand that the team can't do a thing about him due to the no movement clause in his horrible contract.
I've had enough of Giroux, it's time for the team/organisation to move on without him.
Before you G supporters go on and accuse me of not watching the games, and that I don't know what I'm talking about, just rewind some of the footage of those playoff and round robin games and follow 28 on the ice. His performance was brutal.

What the f*** are you going on about?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
giphy.gif

MasksAreForSlaves

May 12, 2017
Connecticut, USA

I agree completely. Thank you for posting what should be obvious to any objective Flyer fan. Unfortunately many here are not.

Reactions: renberg

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
What the f*** are you going on about?
I heard an interview with the Flyers head coach regarding the current off season, and in the interview there were specific questions about a number of players who didn't do very well in the post-season. That's when Giroux was mentioned, and the fact that he was given a regimen to follow last off season by his brand new coach, which Giroux didn't follow.
Sorry if I'm picking on everyone's favourite player, but he deserves to be on the hot seat. Flyers fans are too lenient on their favourite players.

Reactions: Dornhoeffer

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I heard an interview with the Flyers head coach regarding the current off season, and in the interview there were specific questions about a number of players who didn't do very well in the post-season. That's when Giroux was mentioned, and the fact that he was given a regimen to follow last off season by his brand new coach, which Giroux didn't follow.
Sorry if I'm picking on everyone's favourite player, but he deserves to be on the hot seat. Flyers fans are too lenient on their favourite players.
Show me where this was said before you disappear again.

Last edited by a moderator:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Don't forget these things as Giroux, Flyers hear the clock tick some more

AV wasn't dissing Claude, he was just being realistic.

Giroux will be 33 next year, he's past his peak, his role now is as a complimentary veteran, not the straw that stirs the drink.
His minutes should be reduced next year to 16-17 a night to keep him fresh for the playoffs, he's not a "horse," and the wear and tear of an 82 game season can slow him down. You want him at 100% when he's on the ice, so he can compensate for any loss of burst and quickness with fresh legs.

Unfortunately, Holmgren didn't start the rebuild when he traded Carter and Richards and got Couts, Voracek, Schenn and Simmonds to go with Giroux and JVR - a young core that by 2015-16 could have been able to jump back in the top 8 if they had spent four years stockpiling prospects and picks - but that isn't something Holmgren had a clue how to execute. Imagine if he bite the bullet and moved Hartnell and Kimmo that summer, and kept Bob and used the money he saved to pick up some young starters.

Instead the rebuild didn't start until 2014, and Hart didn't arrive until the second half of 2018-19.
So Giroux and Voracek are three years older, Simmonds and Schenn are gone and that's why this team won't be a serious Cup contender until the kids grow up - because the "veteran core" is only G, Voracek, JVR and Niskanen, and they're not good enough to carry a team anymore.

Giroux still has a key role to play as a "senior statesman," who can mentor young players like Frost and Farabee, and be a role model in the locker room. It's not fair to expect him to put up 100 points anymore, and at some point he may end up on the 2nd or 3rd line.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Don't forget these things as Giroux, Flyers hear the clock tick some more

AV wasn't dissing Claude, he was just being realistic.

Giroux will be 33 next year, he's past his peak, his role now is as a complimentary veteran, not the straw that stirs the drink.
His minutes should be reduced next year to 16-17 a night to keep him fresh for the playoffs, he's not a "horse," and the wear and tear of an 82 game season can slow him down. You want him at 100% when he's on the ice, so he can compensate for any loss of burst and quickness with fresh legs.

Unfortunately, Holmgren didn't start the rebuild when he traded Carter and Richards and got Couts, Voracek, Schenn and Simmonds to go with Giroux and JVR - a young core that by 2015-16 could have been able to jump back in the top 8 if they had spent four years stockpiling prospects and picks - but that isn't something Holmgren had a clue how to execute. Imagine if he bite the bullet and moved Hartnell and Kimmo that summer, and kept Bob and used the money he saved to pick up some young starters.

Instead the rebuild didn't start until 2014, and Hart didn't arrive until the second half of 2018-19.
So Giroux and Voracek are three years older, Simmonds and Schenn are gone and that's why this team won't be a serious Cup contender until the kids grow up - because the "veteran core" is only G, Voracek, JVR and Niskanen, and they're not good enough to carry a team anymore.

Giroux still has a key role to play as a "senior statesman," who can mentor young players like Frost and Farabee, and be a role model in the locker room. It's not fair to expect him to put up 100 points anymore, and at some point he may end up on the 2nd or 3rd line.

Was just about to post this article.

AV never gave Giroux a workout regiment prior to the season that he "ignored." That's a complete fabrication.

AV did mention that he may need to tweak his preparation for next season in order to slow the effects of aging, which is normal.

He never question G's work ethic, commitment, etc in any way shape or form.

Giroux is in the last 2 years of his 8 year deal and will see it through to the end and continue to be an important player for us. I expect another 60+ point season in 20-21.

Reactions: Adtar02

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If he is solid in 2021-22, I think they'll extend him on a 2-3 year deal at a reasonable cost, at that point Claude is unlikely to leave for a million more a year, and no one is throwing a Brink's truck at 35 year old Giroux. He can be our "Justin Williams", playing limited minutes but still contributing.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
Cheeseburgers go great with martinis.

Ahhh... Ye olde pairings...

Depends on a couple things.
In 'n out with any kind of vermuth?
In with vermuth?
No vermuth?
Vodka or gin?
What brand alcohol specifically?
Up or on the rocks?
If up, is it shaken or stirred? (this matters)
If shaken, was it shaken vigorously? Please use precise descriptors when answering.
Was the glass chilled and came straight from a freezer?
How is it garnished?

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
:laugh: Show me where this was said before you disappear again.
Sorry if I'm not in the same timezone as you, nor do I care if you'll wish to troll me, as most of the Flyers fans like to do. I saw the transcript of a radio programme that AV was a guest.
Now I will continue doing my actual job.
Stay safe, and beware of the second phase, it's here in the U.K., and it's not good.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Giroux has earned the respect of the Flyers fans for what he has done here. However lets not kid ourselves, he has gone off the rails at times and illustrated that away from the ice he can get a bit flaky-messed up his hand when smashing a club while golfing; getting cozy with a cop in the off season. He's not in the Jeff Carter/Mike Richards department but he has had his moments away from the game.
My interpretation of AV's recent comments to Giroux were to remind him that his life has changed. He's older, now a father and probably has to approach the off season differently than he has in the past. AV also probably told Giroux that the roles for the the team in the future are changing. The G-Coots-Voracek top line days are finished and that Claude will be mostly on the second line with another center. G seems to have taken the chat seriously or else we would have seen his name quietly drift into trade rumors.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sorry if I'm not in the same timezone as you, nor do I care if you'll wish to troll me, as most of the Flyers fans like to do. I saw the transcript of a radio programme that AV was a guest.
Stay safe, and beware of the second phase, it's here in the U.K., and it's not good.
I wasn't trolling you. I was giving you a chance to provide some proof of a statement that literally nobody else has heard other than you. A statement that also contradicts the AV quotes that were reported by our beats and everything we know about the player, who is endlessly praised for his work ethic and competitiveness by his teammates, coaches, GMs, and others across the league.

If you can't do that, then it would confirm that either A) you were tricked by a fake transcript, or B) you made it up because of your irrational hatred for one of the best forwards in franchise history, who is still easily one of our 2 best players.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

The second phase? Our first phase hasn't ended.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

AV is not a trainer. Giroux has worked with his own trainer to have fantastic results for years. Giroux played great in the playoffs, but he was playing in a stupid system. He was not part of the problem. No way was he out of condition. He was driving play. You don't know what you were seeing, or you were watching with extremely heavy bias that blinded you to reality.

AV interfering with Giroux's training is almost as egomaniacally stupid as Oates decreeing he was gonna mess with Ovechkin's shot.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
"Great" is a bit of an exaggeration.
Giroux was fine, but a notch below Couts and Voracek.
He was solid on PP1, but not the point machine he used to be.

If you were being objective, you could say Giroux is still a solid 2nd line forward, but he's not a top player anymore.
He's lost a step, and that exposes his lack of size.
He doesn't shoot enough, and that makes it easier to defend his passes (teams collapse on potential targets and dare him to shoot).

He'll be 33 next year, while he's aging well, he's not aging as well as say Crosby, Malkin or Ovechkin, which is not surprising as he's not in that tier of elite talent - much of Giroux's success has been due to his IQ and work ethic, not raw skill.

Players over 30 producing at a high level (ES points):
Marchand (31) 22-34 56
Kane (31) 25-36 61 [but putrid defense]
Toews (31) 16-35 51
Malkin (33) 18-32 50 [55g]
Ovechkin (34) 35-14 49
Pacioretty (31) 24-23 47
Wheeler (33) 17-24 41
Kopitar (32) 13-27 40
Oshie (33) 16-21 37
Backstrom (32) 10-26 36
Bergeron (34) 19-16 35