Confirmed with Link: Claude Giroux named Captain of the Flyers

• Thread starter SchennSational1022*
  • Start date

JohnnyOnTheSpot

I Believe in G-Sus
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia
So I got a Giroux Winter Classic jersey before he was given an A last year so it's blank in that regard.

I've been wanting to take it somewhere to have the A added, but how bad would it be to get the C instead? I know he didnt have the C during the game, but jerseys are expensive and I'll probably be rocking this one for the next 5 years or so and I kinda want a C

Yea or Neigh?

If you do that, I will come to your house and burn it down with the jersey inside. You are not allowed to do that.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
G has come a long way since he was hilariously compared by one poster as likely to have a career equivalent to Scott Gomez...:laugh:

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
Well, none of us should be surprised, it is "his team" afterall. I just hope the curse doesn't follow.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I guess it's cool if they feel the need to have one. Personally, I think the C is overrated and comes with undue pressures.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I would have thought Timonen would get the C then pass it on to Giroux. Decisions like these you can't really question. The coaches know who is the team's leader better than anyone else.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
Timonen was named the “associate” captain. The “alternate” captains are Briere and Hartnell.

What’s an associate?

“Maybe I am G’s right hand man,” Timonen replied. “If he needs groceries, I go pick them up.”

Oh Kimmo, please do not retire.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Mistake in my opinion...

I don't understand comments like these in reference to this type of decision. The coach and the team know who the best player to be Captain is. We have no idea what goes on in the locker room or on the ice in terms of who is the team leader. The only people that know that are the coaches and players. He's young, but there are young captains across the NHL who aren't imploding because of the C. If you have seen something that leads you to believe he is not the leader the team thinks he is, or that he doesn't have the mental capacity to handle it, please share these reasons because I certainly haven't seen anything to the contrary.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I don't understand comments like these in reference to this type of decision. The coach and the team know who the best player to be Captain is. We have no idea what goes on in the locker room or on the ice in terms of who is the team leader. The only people that know that are the coaches and players. He's young, but there are young captains across the NHL who aren't imploding because of the C. If you have seen something that leads you to believe he is not the leader the team thinks he is, or that he doesn't have the mental capacity to handle it, please share these reasons because I certainly haven't seen anything to the contrary.

It's like Lavy said in an interview yesterday, the captaincy isnt something being THRUST upon him, it is something he has earned by the way he conducts himself and the way he leads this team on and off the ice without the C.

Timonen's opinion was that the C should go to the best player on the team and someone who will be there for a long time, and that's G.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
And now it's officially official:
BA0yDuHCcAAzoxI.jpg:large

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada

My opinion (which I know means nothing lol) is that the captain should always go to a veteran player that's been through it all. A player that's faced every kinda adversity thrown at him. A very experienced warrior.
Kimmon Timonen even states in his interview that the only thing Giroux may be lacking is experience. So why thrust the captaincy upon an inexperienced player? What's the rush to give Giroux the captaincy when Kimmo and Danny are both better fitted for the job and they are both done in a year or two.
Giving Giroux the captaincy is a given. He's our best player by leaps and bounds. Conducts himself professionally on and off the ice. I just think its a little soon for him to get it. My opinion.

Sievegalov

Dec 28, 2011
My opinion (which I know means nothing lol) is that the captain should always go to a veteran player that's been through it all. A player that's faced every kinda adversity thrown at him. A very experienced warrior.
Kimmon Timonen even states in his interview that the only thing Giroux may be lacking is experience. So why thrust the captaincy upon an inexperienced player? What's the rush to give Giroux the captaincy when Kimmo and Danny are both better fitted for the job and they are both done in a year or two.
Giving Giroux the captaincy is a given. He's our best player by leaps and bounds. Conducts himself professionally on and off the ice. I just think its a little soon for him to get it. My opinion.

Claude Giroux is 5 year NHL veteran.
He's been to the Stanley Cup finals, leading the team in points, getting chewed out by the captain, seeing another captain get traded, going through a lockout.

Before that, he won President's Cup, playoff MVP, and gold medal. Oh yeah, before that, he also went undrafted twice in the CHL draft, talk about adversity, it just made him work even harder. He made Gatineau as a walk-on, and won the Q rookie of the year, then Bobby Clarke forgot his name at the draft. The kid as been through more than most guys in their entire careers. He can handle it.

And if he's too young at 25 with 5 years of NHL experience under his belt, you would have craped your pants when Bobby Clarke was named captain at 23. Of course the Red Wings didn't have a problem with a 21 year old Steve Yzerman either.

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
Claude Giroux is 5 year NHL veteran.
He's been to the Stanley Cup finals, leading the team in points, getting chewed out by the captain, seeing another captain get traded, going through a lockout.

Before that, he won President's Cup, playoff MVP, and gold medal. Oh yeah, before that, he also went undrafted twice in the CHL draft, talk about adversity, it just made him work even harder. He made Gatineau as a walk-on, and won the Q rookie of the year, then Bobby Clarke forgot his name at the draft. The kid as been through more than most guys in their entire careers. He can handle it.

And if he's too young at 25 with 5 years of NHL experience under his belt, you would have craped your pants when Bobby Clarke was named captain at 23. Of course the Red Wings didn't have a problem with a 21 year old Steve Yzerman either.

This. Also how old was Crosby when he got his C?

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
Again, I was just saying personally I prefer to have an older player like a Timonen or Briere take on the captaincy. And the flyers for the most part do it this way. Hatcher,Smith,Forsberg,Pronger. I just feel no need to thrust it upon younger guys. I don't think Crosby or Toews or Landeskog should be captains.

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
Again, I was just saying personally I prefer to have an older player like a Timonen or Briere take on the captaincy. And the flyers for the most part do it this way. Hatcher,Smith,Forsberg,Pronger. I just feel no need to thrust it upon younger guys. I don't think Crosby or Toews or Landeskog should be captains.

Crosby and Toews did lead their teams to championships...

JohnnyOnTheSpot

I Believe in G-Sus
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia
I would guess it's the permanent A. Briere gets an A on the road, Hartnell gets one on the road (or other way around).

That was my original assumption, but they specifically state the associate designation was a first for the franchise. And since they've had permanent As before, that doesn't really fit the bill as the defining characteristic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad