Confirmed with Link: Claude Giroux named Captain of the Flyers

• Thread starter SchennSational1022*
  • Start date

NewYorkFlyerFan

Dec 3, 2011
Western New York
It's official.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=650546

The Philadelphia Flyers today named Claude Giroux the 19th captain in the franchise’s history, according to general manager Paul Holmgren. In addition, Holmgren announced that Kimmo Timonen will serve as associate captain, while Scott Hartnell and Danny Briere will serve as alternate captains.

"Claude is the undisputed leader of this team,” Holmgren said in making the announcement. “He always exhibits a tremendous work ethic in games and practices. He is a great professional both on and off the ice. Claude has learned a lot over the past few years playing with Mike Richards, Danny Briere, Kimmo Timonen and Chris Pronger, just to name a few. Having played with these athletes has been a huge benefit for Claude."

"Basically, we have some veterans who are really solid guys and have been captains and could be captains, but I think they realize along with us that this is Claude's time,” said Flyers chairman Ed Snider. “He is our leader and without a doubt our best player, and is one of the premier players in the NHL right now. I am very proud of him and I think this is only the beginning of a phenomenal, phenomenal career."

“Claude has put himself in this position by demonstrating excellent leadership qualities both on and off the ice,” said Flyers head coach Peter Laviolette. “Every day he practices and plays games like he wants to make a difference. After watching him grow for three-plus years, it’s now time for Claude to become the captain of this team.”

“We’re fortunate to have a strong leadership group in our locker room,” Laviolette added. “With Kimmo Timonen as associate captain and Scott Hartnell and Danny Briere as assistant captains, we’re confident we have the right people in place to lead this team.”

“Obviously, this is a huge honor,” Giroux said. “There have been a lot of great captains here in the past. Along with this comes a lot of responsibility which I am prepared for. Being named captain is not really going to change the way I play on the ice and act off the ice. But I am very excited about this opportunity."

Giroux, 25 (1/12/1988), is entering his fifth full season with the Flyers, and also played two games during the 2007-08 season. He is coming off one of the best individual seasons for a Flyer in the last 15 years. Giroux posted 28 goals and 65 assists for 93 points last season, the most points by a Flyer since Eric Lindros had 93 points in 1998-99 and the most assists by a Flyer since Lindros posted 68 in 1995-96. It was the 9th-best regular season assist total in Flyers history. Giroux became just the fourth Flyer ever to record 50 or more assists in consecutive seasons, joining Bobby Clarke (8 seasons, 1972-1980), Brian Propp (3 seasons, 1983-86) and Mark Recchi (2 seasons twice). Giroux finished third in the NHL in scoring and led the league in power play scoring with 38 points (6G, 32A).

Giroux followed up with an equally stellar postseason, recording eight goals and nine assists for 17 points in 12 playoff games. Fourteen of those points came in the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals against Pittsburgh, which was the second-highest point total in a playoff series in franchise history.

Giroux was selected by the Flyers in the first round (22nd overall) of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. In 285 career games, Giroux has 78 goals and 165 assists for 243 points.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
It's sad that pronger never got to play a full season as captain.

That being said i think its awesome that G is the captain , with so many great leaders to choose from.

its also awesome that Hartnell is an A.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Good. I like his fiery attitude and competitive spirit. You can tell he hates to lose.

NewYorkFlyerFan

Dec 3, 2011
Western New York
BAsKaJVCMAEdNJq.jpg:large

Victory5

Apr 12, 2011
Dont like the move at all and heres why:

1) It puts too much pressure on the kid, sometimes this helps the individual out, but often it doesnt, I know this has been popular as of late, but I dont like the idea of making your best player your captain. I think the C has the possibility to get to G a little bit, and while he's obviously our best player, I dont know if adding another thing for him to worry about is good

2) Kimmo is 37, never misses a game, blocks shots like a mofo, and is in the last year of his contract, this guy deserves it

StevensCakeBakerBacker

Nov 11, 2009
Dont like the move at all and heres why:

1) It puts too much pressure on the kid, sometimes this helps the individual out, but often it doesnt, I know this has been popular as of late, but I dont like the idea of making your best player your captain. I think the C has the possibility to get to G a little bit, and while he's obviously our best player, I dont know if adding another thing for him to worry about is good

2) Kimmo is 37, never misses a game, blocks shots like a mofo, and is in the last year of his contract, this guy deserves it

1) G stepped up and made Richards/Carter expendable; progressed to the point that he is one of the top players in the NHL; the first (and entire series really) shift in the elimination game against the Pens last year; G eats pressure up and thrives on challenges.

2) I like KT, but I want the C to be the future of this team not someone that will be retiring in 6 months.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
So I got a Giroux Winter Classic jersey before he was given an A last year so it's blank in that regard.

I've been wanting to take it somewhere to have the A added, but how bad would it be to get the C instead? I know he didnt have the C during the game, but jerseys are expensive and I'll probably be rocking this one for the next 5 years or so and I kinda want a C

Yea or Neigh?

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
So what's an associate captain? Does Kimmo get AC on his jersey?

If I had to guess, it was their way of simply making clear that he is the primary alternate, if that makes sense. I don't think it will register any impact on the ice, except maybe that Timonen would take any ceremonial faceoffs (or any other "captain responsibilities" :sarcasm) in the event G is out.

...and I think it is the right call on Giroux.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad