Classic Wrestling Discussion: Part III & Wrestler Poll

Which 5 wrestlers do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I have to disagree with that. Vince McMahon was the top heel of that era, for better or worse. Tri was the guy in the ring but he never had any standout quality and the faces he went against were generally the best part of any feud. Corporate Rock (and then Hollywood Rock) was a better heel, goofy early Angle was a better heel, heel Austin was better even if people didn't want it. Michaels was better as the leader of DX and early Austin was a tremendous heel that nobody touched at the time. Tri did have a strong but short in-ring peak around 2000 and was a credible main eventer but we all know how he managed to monopolize that top heel spot below Vince.

Yeah, he was there and getting reactions but I'm pretty confident that the bulk of it was just frustration with Paul Levesque rather than with Hunter Hearst Hemsley. Once the top faces of the era disappeared I don't think it's shocking that he failed to get pretty much anyone over for years, at least until Batista. And I do give him credit for that.

I'll give him huge props for putting Cena over at Mania 22, Taker and even Seth Rollins a few years back. Haitch might've buried guys for years but you can't say he's never returned a favor.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
f***ing called it with Tori about 5 weeks before it happened. Now she's dumped Kane for X-Pac. I swear the McMahon Helmsley Era can't come to an end fast enough. The predictability is unbearable

Reactions: Kaner9

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
What's the Rock and Austin doing?

I'm at the very end of January 2000. Rock just won the Rumble and is calling Big Show a jabroni every week pissing him off at any chance he can get. Austin has been out for however long since being hit by a car and just had neck surgery and will be out longer.

The Radicalz just showed up too thank God because WWF programming (as relevant to date of January 2000) has been stuck in a spin cycle for weeks as if some rule existed that states "Since Austin is gone we can't really do anything" and it's either gotcha moments I see coming the whole way or just "lol DX wins" which is equally as predictable

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
lmfao

*Debut The Radicalz* *Feed them to the golden shovel 3 times in the same night* *Join Haitch on the next broadcast of Raw growing his power trip even more*

*slow clap*

You finally did it bud. I didn't think anyone could be more ridiculously booked than Austin. I love a good heel but this is just "banging the boss's daughter" stuff. I've finally reached a point in history where I can afford foresight of what happens next knowing Mick is gonna main event Mania 2000. But I can't wait to see his career get ended at No Way Out in the meantime only to be reinstated again for some ridiculous reason.

And if I'm wrong, f*** it good for Mick to get one more run with the strap and do it via luchas de apuestas. No clue what's gonna happen at Mania 2000 though. Gonna take a wild guess it's gonna end with Haitch pulling some bullshit that puts him over and it's more of "I AMMMM UHHHH THE GAAAAMMMMEEEE UUHHHH!!" or the Rock pulls a surprise upset.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
At the risk of sounding like complaining a lot I'll say this. Angle and Jericho are gold. Rock and Foley are transcendent talent. The tag team division is "Oh my God" amazing and not a week goes by where I don't hope Taker comes back. I be needing my Dead Man fix real bad about now

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
At the risk of sounding like complaining a lot I'll say this. Angle and Jericho are gold. Rock and Foley are transcendent talent. The tag team division is "Oh my God" amazing and not a week goes by where I don't hope Taker comes back. I be needing my Dead Man fix real bad about now

Well... I don't know how to tell you this.....

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
You're right about that. I think that the birth was before Wrestlemania.

Well I'm about 2 weeks out of No Way Out 2000 and it hasn't happened yet. Thank God for small mercies. I didn't get Dead Man but Paul Bearer is back for now. I gotta tell ya, he likens to Austin's glass shatter. You see the fat man and just like Austin's music hitting you KNOW some shit's gonna go down and it ain't gonna be pretty.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Well I'm about 2 weeks out of No Way Out 2000 and it hasn't happened yet. Thank God for small mercies. I didn't get Dead Man but Paul Bearer is back for now. I gotta tell ya, he likens to Austin's glass shatter. You see the fat man and just like Austin's music hitting you KNOW some shit's gonna go down and it ain't gonna be pretty.

Ah yes, No Way Out 2000, the event with probably the weirdest promotional material I can remember. Enjoy the Mae Young birth soon.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm at 3 days til No Way Out 2000. Jericho is God.... If he for whatever reason drops the IC belt to Angle I just hope it doesn't result in more Chyna drama because she somehow wrecked the match. But if my Olympic Hero becomes a dual champion I might mark out.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Steve Austin cuts a righteous promo to start ECW TV on 10/10/95. ECW was the best. Still kick myself in the ass for declining to partake in a bus trip to attend and show at the Arena.

Austin's ECW promos are so good. All time great level good. Also seemingly out of nowhere, coming from WCW where he had good gaga but wasn't anything all that noteworthy on the mic. Credit to his talent and Heyman as well.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Austin's ECW promos are so good. All time great level good. Also seemingly out of nowhere, coming from WCW where he had good gaga but wasn't anything all that noteworthy on the mic. Credit to his talent and Heyman as well.
It is no wonder Austin was a loner and trusted no one with power in the business. He let loose on WCW brass in this and other promos and then when he reached the promised land Vince still wanted to package him with a mouthpiece. At least Austin was able to benefit from backstage politics in the end after being screwed for so long.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It is no wonder Austin was a loner and trusted no one with power in the business. He let loose on WCW brass in this and other promos and then when he reached the promised land Vince still wanted to package him with a mouthpiece. At least Austin was able to benefit from backstage politics in the end after being screwed for so long.

Yeah from what I can gather he only became a loner as he was rising in WWF and it makes sense. That seems to be pretty common among guys who rose to the top. I enjoyed when Austin used to tell stories about travelling around with Pillman, Raven, Rude, and others in his WCW days. Closest thing I can remember hearing along those lines from WWF era Austin was him calling Christian while driving and creating the "WHAT?!" catchphrase in the process.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Made it through to the HHH vs Cactus Jack HIAC match at No Way Out 2000. Decent PPV so far. Not let down. Angle is my freaking hero tho boys.

But anyway, I'm gonna take a wild guess a few minutes after the bell rings. Haitch is gonna win because of some bullshit per usual. Or Foley is gonna Foley and put another guy over because God knows that's what he's always done. The cell that's been locked shut by like 10 locks is gonna lift up after some tearful ceremony while a victorious Haitch just lays there a bloody broken mess. Jack is gonna climb up to the top while Haitch recovers and has no idea what the hell is going on. Jack goes flying off the top of the damn thing in a blaze of glory just like he said he would but will do so as the loser. Crowd marks out, JR loses his shit about what a legend Foley is. Next night on Raw "I ammmmm uhhhhh the gaaaammmmeeee uuhhhhh"

If I manage to get this right completely on a whim it's not for bragging purposes. It's because I've been bitching for pages on end how insufferably predictable the McMahon Helmsley Era is and if my dumb ass can figure it out half an hour before it happens then this only reinforces criticism of the AE I've heard before but hadn't seen for myself

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
hahaha!!!! I've never been so glad to be so wrong about match booking. But yeah I figured as much. Nothing stops the shovel. Ever. Well except maybe Austin but he ain't back yet. Yeah.... Haitch is definitely gonna pull some bullshit at Mania 2000 and retain the title. I just need to figure out how now.

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
hahaha!!!! I've never been so glad to be so wrong about match booking. But yeah I figured as much. Nothing stops the shovel. Ever. Well except maybe Austin but he ain't back yet. Yeah.... Haitch is definitely gonna pull some bullshit at Mania 2000 and retain the title. I just need to figure out how now.

Hunter just couldn't help putting himself right in the middle of everything. When there are 10 guys better then you maybe don't hog the spotlight? The show was still fire then even with that.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Hunter just couldn't help putting himself right in the middle of everything. When there are 10 guys better then you maybe don't hog the spotlight? The show was still fire then even with that.

It really is. The tag team division is *chef's kiss* Angle and Jericho anchoring the midcard is *chef's kiss*

I've spent a lot of time shitting on Haitch but it's more because it's a great heel being wasted. I don't truly hate him. I'm just frustrated that on top of "indestructible booking" there's 3ish combined hours of WWF programming between 2 shows and the same 5 people are on 60-90 minutes of it. By way of listening to Haitch pontificate the same monologue for 10 minutes a night, following that up with that you as well write "lol DX wins" in blood for all 5-6 matches they have and him and Steph just generally hijacking the shows. It takes away from all the other amazing stuff WWF has going on.

If I didn't have to sit through so damn much of it I wouldn't care that he has "the shovel" and it's really burning me out

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I just watched Mae Young give birth to a hand....... it's official, Peacock censored/removed nothing. The AE hasn't hit this level of rock bottom since "Beaver Cleavage"

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I just watched Mae Young give birth to a hand....... it's official, Peacock censored/removed nothing. The AE hasn't hit this level of rock bottom since "Beaver Cleavage"

Well, at least it isn't going to get any dumber for you. At least in terms of things that WWF does intentionally.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Well, at least it isn't going to get any dumber for you. At least in terms of things that WWF does intentionally.

Thank goodness. But it wasn't 2006 levels of cringe at least. And on a personal note: Too Cool is too busy becoming an indomitable colossus of hype for me to get too stuck in Mae Young stuff. These goofy dancing cats have barely been around 4 months, have barely touched the mic and are almost as over as The Outlaws in nearly 3 years and the Hardys/Edge and Christian burning it down with 4 star matches.

This is why "it's just stupid enough to work" is thing. Un freaking believable. This is what The New Day THINK they are

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
1. f*** off Bob Backlund. My Olympic Hero and Eurocontinental champion does not need your assistance ever

2a This was a long time ago chronologically during my AE watch through but I'm really starting to wonder if WWF wasn't serious about pushing Billy Gunn during his feud with The Rock post KOTR and he just didn't get over enough at the time.

2b I genuinely wonder if the reunification of DX didn't coincide with a last ditch effort to get him over but his injury derailed it. Might as well be a rule in my book that stables are made solely for the purpose of getting a new, potentially great talent over see: Rock and the nation, HHH and DX, Orton/Batista in Evolution -You get the point

It's a shame because I genuinely enjoy his matches

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad