Confirmed with Link: Clarkson/Horton trade pt 2

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yeah there is a distinct possibility that Clarkson will not be good enough to earn a spot on their team sooner rather than later, and at that point they are still paying someone who is not playing.

They wouldn't be able to put him on the IR, and if they buy him out they won't save much on the cap either. I think they royally screwed themselves here. I think they knew about the gamble, it's just that it had low chances of paying off.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
They wouldn't be able to put him on the IR, and if they buy him out they won't save much on the cap either. I think they royally screwed themselves here. I think they knew about the gamble, it's just that it had low chances of paying off.

It's actually amazing that even after his two seasons here as a Leaf, there was a team that managed to overrate him as a player.

EDIT: I actually just managed to include the word 'actually' three times in the above sentence.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
To me the more interesting. How many other contracts like this can we take on and for what cost?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
we won this right?

That's a very good question, I wonder what Clarkson may have played played like under Babcock's system however it does give us cap space and that could relate to signing 3 or four players, to one year deals, so it really works for both teams.

If Horton does fully recover he is a very good player but it probably won't happen.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We easily won this.

This was a miracle trade.

This makes up for the Kess- ...... Nvm :sarcasm:

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
We mostly won this. The drawback to this deal won't be felt fully until 2018-19 and on, to the completion of Horton's deal.

The issue is that DURING the season, LTIR frees up the player's cap space. However, during the OFF-SEASON, it doesn't. There is no LTIR during the off-season. So Horton counts 100% against the team's cap right now.

It shouldn't matter during the rebuild years, but it could become a problem later on, impeding trades or forcing the Leafs to part with an asset they'd otherwise retain.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
We mostly won this. The drawback to this deal won't be felt fully until 2018-19 and on, to the completion of Horton's deal.

The issue is that DURING the season, LTIR frees up the player's cap space. However, during the OFF-SEASON, it doesn't. There is no LTIR during the off-season. So Horton counts 100% against the team's cap right now.

It shouldn't matter during the rebuild years, but it could become a problem later on, impeding trades or forcing the Leafs to part with an asset they'd otherwise retain.

That's a good safeguard to protect the Leafs from typically Leafing and signing overpaid UFAs.

We definitely won this

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

You're allowed to go over the cap by 10%(or something) in the offseason though anyway, so we just lose some of that buffer(which I don't recall the Leafs ever taking advantage of anyway).

So Truculent

Da Real MVP
Jun 30, 2011
Leafs Nation
That's a very good question, I wonder what Clarkson may have played played like under Babcock's system however it does give us cap space and that could relate to signing 3 or four players, to one year deals, so it really works for both teams.

If Horton does fully recover he is a very good player but it probably won't happen.

probably the same way he played in Carlyles system

unable to stick handle and skate, and take stupid Penalties :nod:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
probably the same way he played in Carlyles system

unable to stick handle and skate, and take stupid Penalties :nod:

That might be true but the real mistake, was giving Clarkson that terrible contract and with the high expectations placed on him.

I believe he could be a useful player, if properly handled and Babcock would be the coach to get the most out of him, in a limited role.

Hind sight is always 20/20 but the whole team didn't play well under Carlyle and Horacek's systems and it always looked like to me that Clarkson was trying too hard, knowing he was expected to live up to his contract and press clippings and Toronto is not the place to be under the spotlight, when things are not going right, every and all miscues are magnified, with the size of the contract and expectations placed on the player.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Give me a break. Babs is a great coach, sure, but he is not a miracle worker. Great coaches still need good players, Clarkson is not a good player. I am sick of people saying "Let's see how this guy or that guy does under Babcock". Don't make it seem like there is a light years difference between Carlyle and someone like Babcock. People are starting to make Babcock something he is not. He is a great coach, but he is not light years ahead of his counterparts.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Give me a break. Babs is a great coach, sure, but he is not a miracle worker. Great coaches still need good players, Clarkson is not a good player. I am sick of people saying "Let's see how this guy or that guy does under Babcock". Don't make it seem like there is a light years difference between Carlyle and someone like Babcock. People are starting to make Babcock something he is not. He is a great coach, but he is not light years ahead of his counterparts.

What if the trade hadn't happened, I was just surmising whether Clarkson's game would have improved under Babcock and from his past teams in Detroit, he always seemed to get the most out of his players, many that were thought to be washouts and they played very well in his system.

I'm not saying that the trade wasn't a good deal for both teams but it works for both because of the circumstances.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.

but you are allowed to go over the cap in the summer by 10% and you only hve to be cap compliant by the start of the season so basically NO Horton's contract does not affect us in any way.

CDP

Nov 30, 2014
Horton isn't going to play again. I'll save you guys the trouble.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
but you are allowed to go over the cap in the summer by 10% and you only hve to be cap compliant by the start of the season so basically NO Horton's contract does not affect us in any way.

It eats into that 10%, meaning we don't have the same flexibility to go over the cap if we're making a deal or two.

And like I said, no big deal while we're rebuilding, but in 3-4 years, when we're hopefully rebuilt and looking to add those extra pieces, we'll have less freedom/flexibility to do so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad