Confirmed with Link: Clarkson/Horton trade pt 2

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
Josh Rimer @JoshRimerHockey
So David Clarkson plays on Top line today with the Blue Jackets. I believe he'll return to his NJ production. Change of scenery will help.

Here's hoping this is true. It would be great for Clarkson.... and for the Leafs, if he starts lighting it up in Columbus. :naughty:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't understand how the hockey world constantly crapped on Clarkson when he was a Leaf and then the moment he's shipped out of town, you hear the rising chorus of "I believe in Clarkson" coming out of the wood work.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
I don't understand how the hockey world constantly crapped on Clarkson when he was a Leaf and then the moment he's shipped out of town, you hear the rising chorus of "I believe in Clarkson" coming out of the wood work.

Its just pure leaf hate. As a leaf, they underrated him. As a blue jacket, he's somehow an nhler again.

He's only on the top line cause of salary and will play himself out of the lineup.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Josh Rimer @JoshRimerHockey
So David Clarkson plays on Top line today with the Blue Jackets. I believe he'll return to his NJ production. Change of scenery will help.

Maybe he will, but at what cost? Not a good time for anyone who has Johansen or Foligno in their hockey pool.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

The rest of the league hates us. Enjoy the infamy, it's great to be public enemy number 1. If that isn't your thought process you are going to have a lot of grief being a Leaf fan..:nod:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I still think that the Columbus GM screwed up big time. We should have had to offer way more than just Clarkson. Other rich teams probably would have been willing to pay Horton if it meant they had the ability to trade out a bad contract.

How many owners could throw away $30 m (or whatever the number is) and not care at all? Very few clubs have owners that are that rich.

This is the case in any form of buyout. Rich teams still have advantages over less wealthy teams even in a cap league.

Chandler55

Mar 9, 2004
loaded yahoo game log and the first thing I see

10:49 Columbus CLSDavid Clarkson hit Andy Greene
10:27 Columbus CLSDavid Clarkson hit Dainius Zubrus
10:25 Columbus CLSDavid Clarkson shot on goal

go david go!!

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
So I mean has Nathan Horton said anything about this deal? I mean I doubt he plays EVER but you usually at least hear some words. I feel like the media is just dusting it under the rug and pretending like the leafs just bought out Clarkson.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
So I mean has Nathan Horton said anything about this deal? I mean I doubt he plays EVER but you usually at least hear some words. I feel like the media is just dusting it under the rug and pretending like the leafs just bought out Clarkson.

Haven't heard anything from him but truthfully given the logistics of this trade, I'd rather the media not seek out Horton and ask about his feelings on the trade when he's currently battling with figuring out how to do mundane activities in his daily life. That kind of conversation does't exactly inspire positive vibes for his recovery.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Does anybody have any idea of the chances for a return for Horton? I was unaware of his back injury but I knew of his concussion issue, especially after Aaron Rome's hit. Is his health for head related or degenerative back issue?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Does anybody have any idea of the chances for a return for Horton? I was unaware of his back injury but I knew of his concussion issue, especially after Aaron Rome's hit. Is his health for head related or degenerative back issue?
He's out with back issues now and last reports are that it is unlikely he returns.

Calacatz

Jacked!
Aug 10, 2005

Not just a back issue, it's degenerative bones in his back.. Not only will he never play hockey again, people close to him are more concerned for his well being in every day life..

Don't think of him as a potential roster player for the Leafs, he was just an insurance bill tab the Leafs picked up for Columbus to get Clarkson off the books..

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
Just thought i'd bump this so we can all celebrate again :)

but seriously though, do people think Clarkson can have somewhat of a bounce back year in CBJ next season, away from toronto?
Like 15 goals 35 points?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

but seriously though, do people think Clarkson can have somewhat of a bounce back year in CBJ next season, away from toronto?
Like 15 goals 35 points?

Can't see it unless they have bad luck with injuries again. Clarkson will get pushed down the depth charts and most players will have a hard time putting up numbers from a 3rd or 4th line with no PP time, and Clarkson isn't really a gifted player.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

Like 15 goals 35 points?

20 assists?! Dude, his career high in assists is 16, and I doubt he'll ever even get into double digits again in that category.

Seriously, take a good read at this: http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2015/1/22/7867635/david-clarkson-is-a-balrog-he-cannot-pass

Clarkson was one of the worst playmakers in all of hockey in the last 5 years. Ryan Hollweg and Frazer McLaren were better playmakers as Leafs than Clarkson. Let me bold that just so you aren't flabbergasted. Ryan ****ing Hollweg and Frazer ****ing McLaren with better assist rates than Clarkson. Seriously, I don't think people are just really aware of how truly detrimental and godawful he was, even without that contract he would be considered terrible. Wade Belak, Korbinian Holzer, Jay Rosehill, Mark Fraser, and Mike Komisarek. What do they all have in common? They all had better assist rates than Clarkson (!!!) :biglaugh:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think CBJ will regret this in the next 2 years. They were better off paying Horton not to play then Clarkson to actually play and then buy him out. They will realize that soon enough when he is so bad that they have to buy him out.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think CBJ will regret this in the next 2 years. They were better off paying Horton not to play then Clarkson to actually play and then buy him out. They will realize that soon enough when he is so bad that they have to buy him out.

Yeah there is a distinct possibility that Clarkson will not be good enough to earn a spot on their team sooner rather than later, and at that point they are still paying someone who is not playing.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Over the next few years I'm sure the NHL will have a circulation of useless players on huge contracts being traded for one another in the hopes a team can wring a bit more juice out of them.

M. Richards, Clarkson, Horton, Lecavalier, Semin, Lupul are but a few. That list will definitely keep growing as players age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad