Speculation: Clarkson and Elias

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah. He's outpacing Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Franzen. I'm sure he'd be scoring 25+ goals on this team. Dude is David Jones, Marty Lapointe. Gritty guy that scores a lot for a few seasons but can't make a play unless everything is going his way.

These guys are never worth $5M for more than a season.

Yeah there is something to be said for growing your own and not paying another teams. With Clowe's shoulders though I really think he is the best of these options if we are going to do it. In no way would I be upset if the Wings tap out of this bidding war though.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Yeah there is something to be said for growing your own and not paying another teams. With Clowe's shoulders though I really think he is the best of these options if we are going to do it. In no way would I be upset if the Wings tap out of this bidding war though.

This is pretty much how I feel about things. Most of the guys available - Filppula, Weiss, Clarkson, Clowe - are going to command a lot of money that they really aren't worth. Horton is probably the best choice, but between his historically inconsistent play and concussion issues, I can't imagine he'll be worth the money over 4 year or more, which I think is the minimum length any of these guys will sign for. We aren't 1 or 2 guys away from being a top team and we'd probably be better off using next season to figure out just how good Nyquist, Tatar, and Andersson are.

Considering the apparent obsession with Clarkson in this thread, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Bryan Bickell. He's bigger, younger, grittier, and would probably come in at no more than $3.5M. He also has as many points as Clarkson...except he's put up those numbers getting zero PP time whereas Clarkson is fed by Elias and Kovalchuk for 3 minutes of PP time per game.

Its amazing what hype does to people's perceptions.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
This is pretty much how I feel about things. Most of the guys available - Filppula, Weiss, Clarkson, Clowe - are going to command a lot of money that they really aren't worth. Horton is probably the best choice, but between his historically inconsistent play and concussion issues, I can't imagine he'll be worth the money over 4 year or more, which I think is the minimum length any of these guys will sign for. We aren't 1 or 2 guys away from being a top team and we'd probably be better off using next season to figure out just how good Nyquist, Tatar, and Andersson are.

Considering the apparent obsession with Clarkson in this thread, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Bryan Bickell. He's bigger, younger, grittier, and would probably come in at no more than $3.5M. He also has as many points as Clarkson...except he's put up those numbers getting zero PP time whereas Clarkson is fed by Elias and Kovalchuk for 3 minutes of PP time per game.

I do not see Chicago letting go of Bickell. And why would Bickell want to leave Chicago?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I don't like Bickell from his time in Rockford. A couple of my buddies in the AHL used to tell me leave him alone and he doesn't play hard, just keep him from getting angry. He isn't terrible and has a lot of gifts but doesn't make an impression on the game often, I do think the world of his wrist shot though.

I do not see Chicago letting go of Bickell. And why would Bickell want to leave Chicago?

He loves Chicago, but Bickell has been the lowest paid regular in the league for a little while. Now he did accept that contract because he likes Chicago, but he will have a hard time turning down legitimate offers. I do think Chicago gets him to stay and lets Stalberg go, a guy I am actually more interested in exploring. More consistent effort and a high ceiling if he gets decent minutes. His skating combined with size would also be an intriguing element.

bullocks

Jun 26, 2007
Toronto
This team is also desperate for right-hand shooters, to even up the balance and angles on shots during games.

Honestly thats not even really important. Not sure why it gets brought up so much around here at times. I played hockey at a pretty high level for 10 years and no one ever made a big deal of it.

bullocks

Jun 26, 2007
Toronto
Clarkson at 5 mill is definitely not worth it. Would rather keep Filppula even tho he brings "toughness". TBH Tootoo at 1.9 for the next 3 years if he brings what he has this year should be a buy out candidate. I was a big fan of the signing and earlier in the year he was playing his roll well but don't really notice him anymore.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
TBH Tootoo at 1.9 for the next 3 years if he brings what he has this year should be a buy out candidate. I was a big fan of the signing and earlier in the year he was playing his roll well but don't really notice him anymore.

A lot of that is on Dr. Realgud and misuse of Tootoo.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
If it comes down to Clarkson at 5m or Filppula, I think it's a no brainer.

I would take Clarkson at 5 over Flip at 3.75

Don't get me wrong though, I would pursue a few other options before I settled on Clarkson...

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Honestly thats not even really important. Not sure why it gets brought up so much around here at times. I played hockey at a pretty high level for 10 years and no one ever made a big deal of it.

Tell that to coaches, everything is so much easier to read for opponents when a huge majority of the team you're facing are left-hand shots, especially on the PP.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Tell that to coaches, everything is so much easier to read for opponents when a huge majority of the team you're facing are left-hand shots, especially on the PP.

Biggest issue for me is actually pressured zone clearances. A bunch of our guys are forced on their backhand and have significantly less options in terms of how quickly they can handle the puck or crisply move it.

The PP is one area where you have the kind of time and space that a team should be able to overcome this and it bothers me when they resort to that excuse. It does help, but at least for me isn't where it sticks out the most. Part of the reason Babcock seems to point it out in terms of D-man the most. He clearly doesn't care on the PP where it comes from as he will force Sammy and Brunner back there to make it happen, but still bemoans the lack of defensive righties.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

Because he wants money and ice time? Chicago has less than 6k and needs to sign 1-2 D, 2-3 forwards, and a back-up. One of those guys is Leddy, and it'd be highway robbery if he came in at anything less than $3M.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
I think with all of the kids playing and all of the re-signings holland may only look for 1 pick-up in the offseason. Unless they let Filppula go and don't re-sign Cleary (which I don't see happening).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad