Clarke

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Frequently burning a year on the ELC has little impact on overall salary paid out to player due to cheaper post ELC deal. Someone did an assessment of this to convince me, and I dont remember who it was maybe @Herby
I'm guessing it's not so much the "cheaper" contract, but to prolong having to give a raise, so they can manipulate the cap longer.

But now, no sense calling Clarke up. He won't be the difference maker, and even if he could be, it's unfair to put that pressure on him when he should just be playing and learning to integrate his game into the next level of play: the NHL.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Clarke could be a real X-factor if injected at this late stage. Not much to lose except for that one year of ELC. The Kings can worry about that later. They got one or two games left in the season. I say you put him out there and see what happens. Maybe Clarke gets burned and the Kings lose, or maybe he does something special on that second power play and helps the team win. Now is the time to push whatever chips you have in.

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Why don't they call him up and let him practice and see how he looks before you put him on the ice vs McDavid.

Reactions: YP44

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Does Clarke know the 1-3-1 setup yet? What about sitting back and not attacking on the PK? Unnecessary icing? Continual deep back passes on the PP wasting precious seconds on the PP?

I hope we get him up to speed and teach him these great tactics before getting on the ice in Game 6 or else we might be in trouble.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I could see the argument either way really

But if they were to advance you almost have to

Personally I'd be rolling 7 D right now anyway to find ways to deploy Clarke and Spence (w/Gavirkov or Anderson or even Doughty extra shifts) and micromanaging matchups but apparently odd numbers and matchups are too big brain

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Does Clarke know the 1-3-1 setup yet? What about sitting back and not attacking on the PK? Unnecessary icing? Continual deep back passes on the PP wasting precious seconds on the PP?

I hope we get him up to speed and teach him these great tactics before getting on the ice in Game 6 or else we might be in trouble.
The 1-3-1 is not a good set up for Clarke. It demands that the RD drop back and chase down the dump ins and absorb the initial forecheck contact. While his decision making and edge work are top notch, the biggest flaw in his game is straight ahead speed. Asking him to get back first could be detrimental to his health and limit his ability move the puck up ice cleanly, which is probably his strength at the moment.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The 1-3-1 is not a good set up for Clarke. It demands that the RD drop back and chase down the dump ins and absorb the initial forecheck contact. While his decision making and edge work are top notch, the biggest flaw in his game is straight ahead speed. Asking him to get back first could be detrimental to his health and limit his ability move the puck up ice cleanly, which is probably his strength at the moment.

Nothing quite like building a roster and then changing a system to play to its weaknesses!

Win in hard mode or not at all, I always say!

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Durzi has stopped doing good Durzi things...like hitting 50 foot stretch passes to a forward about to break into the ozone....and also cutting through the ozone himself, cutting past 1 or 2 opponents and making a shot or scoring chance pass. Then he has some intensity. All of these good things have not manifested in this series. BUT, the ill performing Durzi has been intact, in full mode - oppenent watching, play developing watching and then react to it. You cannot do that, period and you certainly cannot do that against the Oilers. (there is no read and react defensive play in NHL)

Enter Clarke. He's already vastly superior to Durzi, offensively and defenesively.
If you have cloesely watched him execute, it's like Yannetti advertised - said. He sees things
most do not and he then executes it. Examples.

1. That michigan goal was the most nonchalant one EVER.
Easy pickup and put in top corner in a second...there was about 6-8 inch opening there...the goalie was already covering most of that side...most michigan goals, the goalie is unaware, or 2 feet from the post.
2. The game winning Canada gold medel game goal - a puck was coming to him in the D zone, he hit it, (wiithout first stopping it and passing - may have been too late) and he one timed it off the boards to the goal scorer. 90% of all defensemen on the planet, do not make that play. They stop it, survey things and have no play like that.
3. The assist on the Kings. Forgot who scored...but Clarke picked up the puck in his zone (after being on the ice over a minute) and saw 2 opponents go off, so he busted it and it became a 2 on 1.
He waited and was patient and timed a perfect setup pass for a goal. I think it was Fox that broke this down...how most D would have cleared the zone and go to the bench. He knows where opponents are, where the play will go....or make another play.
He's an elite talent, period. And will do these things (sans michigan, but who knows?) in an NHL playoff game, right now.
As in game 6 Saturday, he would have several opportunities to bust in the ozone and create scoring chances. Edmonton would really not expect that he would even try to do the stuff he can do.

I wish he had stayed up all year. Could have been a different series. But the Kings will win this series, 4 games to 3.

Last edited:

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Clarke not being in the NHL is 90% on Blake and 10% on the kid. Blake’s excuse is that he is a hack and Clarke’s is he is pretty much a teenager.

He had his handful of games at the easiest time of the season. Durzi was out, so frankly he was handed the role over Spence. He did nothing of note in those games. Lighting up the juniors is great, but 2 goals in 9 games would have led to Sean Walker being waived.

Suiting up now is ludicrous to consider before a playoff elimination game. I wouldn’t wish that on any prospect, and I would have rather drafted Guenther.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I mean, I like seeing his fire, swagger, and emotion. Unfortunately, I am not sure how much of that he will retain for very long in the NHL. That will certainly get beaten out of him quickly with this coaching and development staff.

Also, it isn't the best look for him because directing such things at fans is pretty silly judgment. I get that you are passionate and you're ready to fight for yourself and your team, but the opposing fanbase is just trying to get a rise out of you and throw you off your game. Any indication of acknowledgment on your part to the fans either positive or negative is a win for the heckling fan. They don't care if they are right or wrong, they just want to see your reaction there which isn't doing or helping anything on the ice.

I love Clarke, but I definitely don't want to see him getting into it with fans in the NHL. It is wasted time and energy. Do it all you like though with the other team. I am fine with him saying or doing anything to agitate or throw off his actual opponents.

Doughty has become a lot smarter with how he channels his cockiness and trash talk. He does sometimes goad the fans, but he does so one directionally and in specific moments that benefit him and the team's energy. But at the same time, Doughty is a lot more benign than what he once was. Clarke will have to walk a line between the two.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Trigger Warning: Optimism

I think Clarke could end up being the biggest Kings roster 'add' of the offseason.

The confidence/swagger will go a long way and are a big reason (in addition to the world class skill) I think Clarke will be a guy who actually does step in and become a key player right away - Something you see around the league with other teams but haven't seen in the last 10 years or so for the Kings.

If he does that, it virtually revolutionizes our D-core.

If Clarke is legit, and actually meets/exceeds expectations next year (it's about time a Kings prospect does this, eh??).. He'll force Roy down the lineup - Which will make the Kings right side arguably the strongest in the NHL.

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov/Signed LHD - Clarke
Bjornfot/Moverare - Roy
* Disclaimer: I realize it likely won't start like this opening night - But imagine (again, if Clarke really is special) it likely ends up like this as soon as a few weeks into the season.

That's reallllllllly good (And if you don't believe in Bjornfot - I think we can all agree Moverare can at least be a steady, bottom pairing guy - Especially if Roy is anchoring our bottom pair)

His dynamic skill could also help the team reach another level offensively. I know people are being relatively quiet/reserved and are taking more of an "I'll believe it when I see it" approach to Clarke and I fully understand why... But man this kid looks phenomenal and really seems like he has that "X factor"... That kind of "F you, I'M one of the best players on the ice" attitude that indicates he'll step in and make a difference right away.

I don't want to jump the gun either, but I just want to point out how huge a Clarke 'arrival' could be for the Kings.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016

I think Clarke could end up being the biggest Kings roster 'add' of the offseason.

The confidence/swagger will go a long way and are a big reason (in addition to the world class skill) I think Clarke will be a guy who actually does step in and become a key player right away - Something you see around the league with other teams but haven't seen in the last 10 years or so for the Kings.

If Clarke is legit, and actually meets/exceeds expectations next year (it's about time a Kings prospect does this, eh??).. He'll force Roy down the lineup - Which will make the Kings right side arguably the strongest in the NHL.

Anderson - Doughty
Bjornfot/Moverare - Roy
* Disclaimer: I realize it likely won't start like this opening night - But imagine (again, if Clarke really is special) it likely ends up like this as soon as a few weeks into the season.

That's reallllllllly good (And if you don't believe in Bjornfot - I think we can all agree Moverare can at least be a steady, bottom pairing guy - Especially if Roy is anchoring our bottom pair)

His dynamic skill could also help the team reach another level offensively. I know people are being relatively quiet/reserved and are taking more of an "I'll believe it when I see it" approach to Clarke and I fully understand why... But man this kid looks phenomenal and really seems like he has that "X factor"... That kind of "F you, I'M one of the best players on the ice" attitude that indicates he'll step in and make a difference right away.

I don't want to jump the gun either, but I just want to point out how huge a Clarke 'arrival' could be for the Kings.
Trigger warning: Reality

Clarke plays in the AHL getting hammered by minor league lifers because Walker and Durzi are under contract and trusted by the coach.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
That probably is the unfortunate reality. I have a feeling Blake will not be able to move Durzi and/or Walker prior to next season and Clarke may end up playing a bit of the season in the AHL until a spot opens or he gets a cup of coffee callup. That would be my prediction, but Blake did leave the door open slightly during his exit interview and said that based on his play this entire year and the 9 games on the Kings last season, he expects Clarke to potentially make and improve the team. So his diplomatic bullshit can go either way :P

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
That probably is the unfortunate reality. I have a feeling Blake will not be able to move Durzi and/or Walker prior to next season and Clarke may end up playing a bit of the season in the AHL until a spot opens or he gets a cup of coffee callup. That would be my prediction, but Blake did leave the door open slightly during his exit interview and said that based on his play this entire year and the 9 games on the Kings last season, he expects Clarke to potentially make and improve the team. So his diplomatic bullshit can go either way :P
He also said Kaliyev would be in the top 6 this past season, so not sure his word is anything to go by

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022

Anderson - Doughty
Bjornfot/Moverare - Roy

Except Todd will shatter all of this one Day One.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
cat(1).jpg

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
My opinion:

Brandt Clarke at age 20
>
Drew Doughty at age 18
Victor Hedman at age 18
Dahlin at age 18
Q Hughes at age 18 (he was in college)
Drysdale at age 18
Seider at age 18 (was in AHL)

In no way, Clarke should be in the AHL at age 20 yrs, 7 months.
His skills and IQ is already higher than some on that list right now.
(will not translate into total performance, strength, for 2+ yrs that all players need;
but his saw skills and IQ are)

Reactions: KopitarGOAT420

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad