Clarke

seamore

May 16, 2013
What have i missed with him? From what I recall, he played 9 games and now he has disappeared. Hasnt played for a bit.
Anyone know what is going on with him?

Not sure how i missed the news if there was any.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I think this nonsense (continually scratching him after his 9th game) points to Blake wanting to extended his time being around the club, but ultimately sending him back to Barie.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Did he not loose some teeth in his last game. Maybe needed some time to heal and They figured if they waited a few more games he could be sent to the NHL for conditioning.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Did he not loose some teeth in his last game. Maybe needed some time to heal and They figured if they waited a few more games he could be sent to the NHL for conditioning.
Oh yeah, thats possible.. I hope that is the case... but normally guys come right back from dental issues.

Reactions: ibleedkings

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It seems like they're buying time to see if Durzi is going to work on the left side (or what will) as well as Walker to get up to speed (which he mostly has) before making a decision. Or if they were able to swing a trade in the meantime. But they're running out of borrowed time.

I hope to goodness they don't send him back to junior as the team is clearly better with him and I think working out/training with the NHL team is better than steamrolling kids going thru puberty but it's starting to seem like the writing is on the wall unless there are a few injuries (given there's still Toby and Spence and even Moverare at the door).

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Rosen indicated that they want to keep Clarke, but are forced to play Walker because they need to showcase that he is back up to speed before finding a trade for him. It sounds like Clarke sitting isn't a coach's decision, but management's seeing if they can open a spot for him or not.

seamore

May 16, 2013
Rosen indicated that they want to keep Clarke, but are forced to play Walker because they need to showcase that he is back up to speed before finding a trade for him. It sounds like Clarke sitting isn't a coach's decision, but management's seeing if they can open a spot for him or not.
this seems reasonable.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
He is too raw for the Kings as evidenced by the Kings improvement with him scratched. He will go to hockey Canada and or Barrie until their season ends.
I don’t think that’s a fair conclusion. There are other factors in the teams improvement.

I think Clarke is better than Walker right now but they will want to move him and that’ll be harder if he’s a healthy scratch. My guess is that they’ll use the conditioning assignment to keep Clarke active and go from there, possibly send him to world Juniors (I hope not)to buy some more time.

• Haha

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I don’t think that’s a fair conclusion. There are other factors in the teams improvement.

I think Clarke is better than Walker right now but they will want to move him and that’ll be harder if he’s a healthy scratch. My guess is that they’ll use the conditioning assignment to keep Clarke active and go from there, possibly send him to world Juniors (I hope not)to buy some more time.
So if they send him to WJ team (assuming they want him).. does that prevent him from returning the NHL? - as would be the case if sending back to the O...

• Haha

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Trying to contend and develop at same time makes what do with Clarke a difficult decision.. If you believe Clarke develops faster/better here, you keep him (if development is your focus). If you are focused on winning this year - it may or may not be the case he make the team better - that is hard to determine. Having Clarke on the roster means he can only play in the NHL barring some conditioning stint.. so that is a commitment that cannot be undone. Again it looks like Blake pushes his decisions on things to the absolute last second - as can be witnessed by the state of the roster coming into the regular season. Admittedly its not easy to make these decisions - I think it stems from trying to rebuild and contend at the same time.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Trying to contend and develop at same time makes what do with Clarke a difficult decision.. If you believe Clarke develops faster/better here, you keep him (if development is your focus). If you are focused on winning this year - it may or may not be the case he make the team better - that is hard to determine. Having Clarke on the roster means he can only play in the NHL barring some conditioning stint.. so that is a commitment that cannot be undone. Again it looks like Blake pushes his decisions on things to the absolute last second - as can be witnessed by the state of the roster coming into the regular season. Admittedly its not easy to make these decisions - I think it stems from trying to rebuild and contend at the same time.
The top priority is obviously win now as evidenced by the acquisitions Blake made. Damn sure Tmac is not focusing on development. The more the Kings win with Brandt not in the lineup, the less likely him returning becomes until Barrie's season ends. For me the writing is on the wall with Moverare, Spence and Bjornfot all very recallable.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
The top priority is obviously win now as evidenced by the acquisitions Blake made. Damn sure Tmac is not focusing on development. The more the Kings win with Brandt not in the lineup, the less likely him returning becomes until Barrie's season ends. For me the writing is on the wall with Moverare, Spence and Bjornfot all very recallable.
It think they are trying to do both and are leaning heavily towards win now... I think they want to see if Clarke can help them this year.. they saw enough in camp to want to give him a chance to prove it. Im a little concerned about playing him in the A where you have ~30 year old goons who dont give two shits about a prospects future... cf the 26 yr old clown that grounded Turcotte last year. I think this is basically an extended tryout before making the decision to kick off the ELC this year.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
So if they send him to WJ team (assuming they want him).. does that prevent him from returning the NHL? - as would be the case if sending back to the O...
No, he’d be eligible to return to the NHL. I don’t want them to send him to the WJC and I don’t necessarily think they will release him for the tournament, but it is a possibility.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

And as has been pointed out, this is what happened in 10-11 with the 2009 5th overall pick Schenn. And that was with a GM that knew what he was doing. Although I'm sure we questioned was what going on with such an asset at the time.

• Haha

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
It think they are trying to do both and are leaning heavily towards win now... I think they want to see if Clarke can help them this year.. they saw enough in camp to want to give him a chance to prove it. Im a little concerned about playing him in the A where you have ~30 year old goons who dont give two shits about a prospects future... cf the 26 yr old clown that grounded Turcotte last year. I think this is basically an extended tryout before making the decision to kick off the ELC this year.
It’s funny that we are still asking this question. OF COURSE we are trying to win now…you think they went out and acquired an 8-mil dollar player because they thought it would help them land Bedard?

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
This team isn’t ready to win a cup. They need Byfield and Clarke to be meaningful contributors for that to happen and the window doesn’t open this year. So personally they need to prepare those players and get them ready for those bigger roles in 23/24. That’s why I think Clarke stays up and it’s why Byfield will be recalled soon enough.

Decisions need to be made with the long term goal (a Cup) in mind not just for success this season. I don’t see that playing Walker over Clarke all year helps that goal, nor does leaving Byfield in the AHL long term. However letting Walker demonstrate his trade value before moving him and having QB get back to full fitness in the AHL doesn’t necessarily hurt that end goal either.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
It’s funny that we are still asking this question. OF COURSE we are trying to win now…you think they went out and acquired an 8-mil dollar player because they thought it would help them land Bedard?
Ya Fiala is a sign of the win now mentality.. but im wondering what they are thinking in regards to Clarke... are the decisions based on how he helps the team this season, or how he best develops... two different intentions - not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad