Clarke MacArthur suffers concussion in Training Camp scrimmage

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
Attacked a kid, seriously? Sieloff is some no name goon who took a run at a vet with concussion issues, of course someones going to fight him, it's not like he's this years 1st round pick. Guy has no future in the league.

Fun fact of the day - Patrick Sieloff scored more NHL goals last year than Clarke McArthur :teach:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It just shows how tricky concussions can be. MacArthur was cleared to play for the last few games of last season, but the Sens intentionally kept him out of the lineup just to be extra safe. He was symptom-free all spring and summer, and passed all the physical testing last week......then one 'average-ish' hit takes him out again.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Just an unfortunate situation all around.

Absolutely brutal for MacArthur. Hopefully this symptoms are minor.

Sucks for Seiloff too. From what I'd heard of him he seemed like he projected to be a good player before some injury detailed his development. Hope the Sena just trade him and he gets a shot elsewhere.

Also no problem with the other players reactions. Heat of the moment thing.

Just ****** for everyone involved

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Sucks for both players

MacArthur obviously had some of the worst concussion symptoms someone can recover from, and hopefully he doesn't have to go through that again.

Sieloff was a decent prospect until a staph infection spread to his heart and he had a serious scare dealing with that. His game is built around stepping up into players to stop them from clearing the zone and he was unfortunate to show off on the wrong guy.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Didn't look all that out of the ordinary from the angle we got. Sure it's a bit extra for scrimmage, but again, the guy's a physical bottom pairing dman trying to make his way onto a team after failing in Calgary. You'd kind of expect him to be showing the coaches what he has to offer.

He likely didn't realize it was Macarthur nor did he know his concussion history. I have the utmost respect for Macarthur, but he clearly should not be playing if a hit like that puts him as out of it as he is. More concussions means you're more susceptible to them (I'd know, I have 4). His last one was apparently awful, so I can't imagine how people praise Gabriel Landeskog's article about them, talking about how you should take as much time as you need for every symptom to go away, and then not criticize Macarthur for coming back when he CLEARLY was not at 100%.

It was a stupid for training camp, but understandable given the player's circumstances, hit made by a bad player on a player who should not have been playing in the first place. The reaction was justified, but a hit like that does not concuss someone who isn't already still at least mildly concussed.

How do you know that he wasn't at 100%? One of my worst concussions was from a light tap to my head which shouldn't have done anything. I'd completely recovered from my prior concussions at that point too. No symptoms that I could tell (not even being foggy, lack of concentration, etc.) for a year prior to that. Yet I got a bad concussion from a very, very minor hit (and calling it a hit is a huge exaggeration) to the head. After that, I've had real hits to the head while I still had concussion symptoms and nothing happened (AFAICS). I still don't understand how such a slight blow to the head (really a tap) could have caused such symptoms.

It's possible that he was still having symptoms but there is no way that you can know that from him getting a concussion now.

Blaming his doctors for clearing him (not the person I'm quoting but others ITT) makes even less sense. They were going by protocols and what MacArthur told them. He'll always be at more of a risk for concussions than someone who's never had one. So either you think that once a player had a concussion, he should never return or you should stop blaming doctors for following established concussion protocols for players who've had a concussion.

Unfortunate situation. The kid shouldn't have been as aggressive but it's understandable in that situation. Sucks badly for MacArthur. I hope he fully recovers.

EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

May 9, 2013
Damn, Bobby Ryan is old school. He also tweeted that Sieloff's was not his team mate and to the question if Ryan could forgive him if he would be his team mate? Absolutely.

Not a big fan of Ryan but somehow I like him more after this. :laugh:

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
a team scrimmage is pretty much a practice with more people watching...your still practicing with teammates...when your playing with teammates you dont expect to be hit like that, and you also dont hit like that

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
There's something I don't understand here. Many people are saying that fringe players like Sieloff have to do these things in training camp, because they're fringe players.

Two lessons are obviously missed :
- Sieloff would've gotten a penalty on the play. And I don't know, but if I was a coach, my depth guy who's gonna play 12 minutes a game on the backend better make sure he won't be getting a penalty for hitting A FORWARD AT THE GOALINE WHILE FORECHECKING. Like, if I'm a GM and I see my 7th D-Men doing that, he's waived on the spot due to lack of intelligence.

- Scrimmages are only one thing. The Sens are gonna play other teams during pre-season. At this point, I hope coaches/GM's know that physical players usually let off a bit during scrimmages, because it's ultimately idiotic to hurt a teammate during a ****ing scrimmage, let alone an NHL regular. I'm sure Sieloff would've gotten a few preseason games, where physicality actually makes sense.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
There's something I don't understand here. Many people are saying that fringe players like Sieloff have to do these things in training camp, because they're fringe players.

Two lessons are obviously missed :
- Sieloff would've gotten a penalty on the play. And I don't know, but if I was a coach, my depth guy who's gonna play 12 minutes a game on the backend better make sure he won't be getting a penalty for hitting A FORWARD AT THE GOALINE WHILE FORECHECKING. Like, if I'm a GM and I see my 7th D-Men doing that, he's waived on the spot due to lack of intelligence.

- Scrimmages are only one thing. The Sens are gonna play other teams during pre-season. At this point, I hope coaches/GM's know that physical players usually let off a bit during scrimmages, because it's ultimately idiotic to hurt a teammate during a ****ing scrimmage, let alone an NHL regular. I'm sure Sieloff would've gotten a few preseason games, where physicality actually makes sense.

And to make matters worse, his aggressive pinch was meaningless; the play went up ice because he failed to hold the line. He had no business being there, let alone dishing out a dangerous hit. To a teammate.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com

Sieloff is trying to get himself a roster spot so I can understand him wanting to bring the intensity even in scrimmage.

Also from what I gathered in the Sens board, Boucher told the players that they needed to treat the training camp like game and to bring everything with them. So with this in mind, I can see why Sieloff is hitting people in scrimmage.

Not a smart move mind you given the events and the fact it was Mac, but this scenario occurred exactly because the coaching staff wanted a high intensity training camp.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
The hit wasn't really that bad. If MacArthur isn't able to handle a hit like that, then he shouldn't have been playing.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Sorry to hear Sens fans. Everyone loses in this situation.

MacArthur
Sieloff
Sens roster
Sens management
Sens fans

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Sieloff is trying to get himself a roster spot so I can understand him wanting to bring the intensity even in scrimmage.

Also from what I gathered in the Sens board, Boucher told the players that they needed to treat the training camp like game and to bring everything with them. So with this in mind, I can see why Sieloff is hitting people in scrimmage.

Not a smart move mind you given the events and the fact it was Mac, but this scenario occurred exactly because the coaching staff wanted a high intensity training camp.

... If Sieloff thought that getting at the goalline in that situation was a good idea, then I'm not sure why he got above USHL-level hockey.

Mar 12, 2009
the only struggling in the AHL he did was struggle to stay alive after he nearly died from a staph infection and to get back up to speed and stop playing tentative after he returned after missing close to a year and a half of hockey. The kid has potential and contrary to your opinion looked quite good in the AHL this past season. He is definitely not a goon like you suggested earlier, almost all of his fights are defensive fights after delivering a hit.

Are you related to the guy or something?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad