CL Round of 16----matches begin today

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
If I were ASR I would not play against an English team, especially Liverpool, for obvious reasons. It is also true that certain traditions can also be defeated, but speaking today with some Romanist friends we said that paradoxically it would be more convenient to play against a team you know as Juventus.Then of course, if it will be the Seville will all be happy (Montella too).

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
That may be true but the CL is a different beast. Every team and every player will put it on the line for the CL (as we saw in their first match against Barcelona).

Also Roma can be a very good side when they are on. They're just not as consistent as some. Atletico was bounced from that group, and Chelsea beat them.

As far as draws go...Spurs had already beaten RM over two legs so maybe they beat them again? Or maybe they beat PSG since RM beat them? Speculating over different draws is kind of pointless. Liverpool are well set up to play teams like RM and Bayern so I'm still hoping for a match like that as opposed to playing against Juventus (though I'm looking forward to any game really).

Erh correction.
Some have stated "the rise of EPL in Europe was expected".
Facts have ONCE AGAIN proven them wrong.
How have facts proven anything? If City win the CL this season, and 2 teams potentially make the SF is that not a big step forward for the PL? Hell, 2-3 teams from one league in the QF is still good, and 5 teams coming out of the group stages is also impressive (especially given two of them had very tough groups).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
"Rise of EPL in Europe" never means step forward. It means rising to dominance. Like you developped to length about the inevitability of the EPL dominating again.

And as I said, 5 teams out of the group stage isn't impressive when 4 were absolutely expected to go through. 5th one was always considered a possibility.

Now we're talking about 2 potentially in the SF. :facepalm:
After the same poster wrote "The scenes when all 5 EPL teams make it to the next round. It's very possible. "

Reactions: Pouchkine

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, who else had 5 in that stage?

Isn't that impressive on its own? I would argue that there's a good chance that City, Spurs and maybe Liverpool are going to be on the upswing, and could do some damage in the CL for the next few seasons. I would argue that Chelsea and United aren't going to rest on where they are and if anything, only spend more money. A lot can change, but I don't see the results as a bad thing.

I don't see one thing to the exclusion of the other. The EPL can be getting better, yet still not where they could be or as successful as some would want. If anything, the idea that they have 5 clubs who are good enough to make it to that point, and at least have a shot at going through, is pretty impressive and exciting for me. Similar to that point, as a Liverpool supporter, I can't complain about any of it, and I think some of these grumblings are silly. I'm happy Liverpool are back where they should be, which is playing CL matches that matter. As long as that continues, I don't care who they play.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
It *was* very possible.

2 are through. One was a goal off going through, one crapped the bed against a team they should have beat, and one is level heading into the second leg.

If Spurs get a couple bounces different and United play a bit better it could easily be 4 through at this point plus Chelsea with potential.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I mean, who else had 5 in that stage?

Isn't that impressive on its own? I would argue that there's a good chance that City, Spurs and maybe Liverpool are going to be on the upswing, and could do some damage in the CL for the next few seasons. I would argue that Chelsea and United aren't going to rest on where they are and if anything, only spend more money. A lot can change, but I don't see the results as a bad thing.

I don't see one thing to the exclusion of the other. The EPL can be getting better, yet still not where they could be or as successful as some would want. If anything, the idea that they have 5 clubs who are good enough to make it to that point, and at least have a shot at going through, is pretty impressive and exciting for me. Similar to that point, as a Liverpool supporter, I can't complain about any of it, and I think some of these grumblings are silly. I'm happy Liverpool are back where they should be, which is playing CL matches that matter. As long as that continues, I don't care who they play.
Who else had 5?
Who else had 5 in the first place? :huh:
5 teams, 4 of them with easy draws and you're impressed?
Sorry can't find that impressive. Only Spurs impressed IMO because they weren't supposed to top their group.

LOL at the "scenes" when all 5 EPL teams go through. 2 of them do, and we're treated with scenes anyway :D

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
"Rise of EPL in Europe" never means step forward. It means rising to dominance. Like you developped to length about the inevitability of the EPL dominating again.

And as I said, 5 teams out of the group stage isn't impressive when 4 were absolutely expected to go through. 5th one was always considered a possibility.

Now we're talking about 2 potentially in the SF. :facepalm:
After the same poster wrote "The scenes when all 5 EPL teams make it to the next round. It's very possible. "
Does another league have more than 2 teams in the QF, with potentially 3? Or am I missing something?

Could you quote the posts where I said the EPL would be 'dominating Europe' and specifically where I said they would do so this year? Again, small mind small picture. Look at the bigger picture and the progression.

Also...no other league with 5 teams in the Ro16 is supposed to be a knock against the EPL? This all seems backwards.

Then you keep quoting a 'scenes' post as though it was meant to be taken literally when it was literally a tongue in cheek post poking fun at people like yourself who hate on the PL.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
You said EPL teams would be back to dominance. You did.

Tongue in cheek. Sure. LOL.

So Italy has 2 teams in the QF, EPL too. Guess who had the most teams at the beginning?
I'm guessing it's Serie A's rise to dominance.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
And the last time EPL teams dominated was in the late 70's early 80's. Now we could have only 2/8 and maybe 0/4. With the amount of money in the EPL they are incredibly underperforming.

This Millenium Spain has won 9 times Italy 3 England 3 Germany 2 Portugal 1

While in Europa it should be another La Liga winner.

And for winners this Millenium in Europa Spain 8 times England 3 Portugal 2 Russia 2 Holland 1 Ukraine 1 Turkey 1

HUGE SPAIN DOMINATION.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Total European Trophies in the 2000's : Spain17 England6 Italy3 Portugal3 Germany2 Russia2 Ukraine1 Holland1 Turkey1

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't think anyone would argue that Spain hasn't been the best league for the last decade+, or at least certainly the most successful.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I don't think anyone would argue that Spain hasn't been the best league for the last decade+, or at least certainly the most successful.
They are the most dominant league in both competitions Champions and Europa that says a lot.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
LOL, if there is a more revealing post about his lack of dedication to United except that it pays the bill, I don't know what it would be...

I love that there are still United fans backing him... thinking he’s one of the best managers in the world. He literally just shat on your club and your going blindly follow him? Embarrassing.

Such a shame SAF and his United made me love watching soccer. Now I have to deal with this? Such a shame.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, at least Davey Moyes knew what a privilege it was to manage that club. As much as I don't like them, it should mean something to be the manager of United.

But the whole you sleep with the dogs, you get fleas comes to mind.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I love that there are still United fans backing him... thinking he’s one of the best managers in the world. He literally just shat on your club and your going blindly follow him? Embarrassing.

Such a shame SAF and his United made me love watching soccer. Now I have to deal with this? Such a shame.
Fam, there were still people defending Wenger as recent as earlier this season. I totally believe that there are United fans that still back up this nonsense because they think "supporting" the club is the only thing fans should do. That nonsense over-the-top supporting of certain fans think everyone should chant the U21 goalkeeping coach's name all the way to the East wing ticket usher.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
If I were ASR I would not play against an English team, especially Liverpool, for obvious reasons. It is also true that certain traditions can also be defeated, but speaking today with some Romanist friends we said that paradoxically it would be more convenient to play against a team you know as Juventus.Then of course, if it will be the Seville will all be happy (Montella too).

Haha, I really don’t think history plays much of a factor.

Trust me, Liverpool would be better than Juve.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Fam, there were still people defending Wenger as recent as earlier this season. I totally believe that there are United fans that still back up this nonsense because they think "supporting" the club is the only thing fans should do. That nonsense over-the-top supporting of certain fans think everyone should chant the U21 goalkeeping coach's name all the way to the East wing ticket usher.

SAF has his famous quote during his retirement speech,”Stand by your manager”. Which in essence I agree with, but some people are taking that waaayyy to literally. Your managers a :eek::eek::eek::eek:, it’s ok to accept that, especially when he’s doing an awful job.

Reactions: S E P H

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad