CL Round of 16----matches begin today

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
There's really no way to know unless they play each other, but if Liverpool gets those same first half chances Spurs got at Wembley, they're at least 2 goals ahead in the game and it's over.
I'm not sure how they would get those chances in the first place... They created nothing vs. Utd this weekend.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
It also wouldn't be entirely surprising if Sevilla and Roma both advanced again. Of course everyone's going to look at their team on paper compared to the other ones, but Sevilla in particular knows how to navigate these matches. The way they killed the game today was excellent. The next round will tell the tale in any case.

I'd be very surprised if Roma advanced again. They don't have a history of being clutch or masters of match dynamics. They were imo easily the better team in Donetsk - but still lost on a last minute free kick - and gave Shakhtar another chance to win from a similar free kick tonight.

I wouldn't favor Sevilla too highly against most of the remaining teams either, except Roma.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'm not sure how they would get those chances in the first place... They created nothing vs. Utd this weekend.

Spurs created absolutely nothing against United either when they played them. United plays a much more defensive style than Juve at this stage with their players fit, but that's all they do is commit defensively. Hard to advance if they never create anything at all. Juve's defensive mentality is slightly overrated at this stage and it usually only appears once they score. They were wide open at Wembley. Of course they do have a great defense, and their goals against record is better, but they're not only a defensive team like a lot of people think.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Not that Roma or Sevilla are bad teams but they're definitely the teams everyone wants to draw at this stage.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I'll take anyone not named City... If barca go through. Its city trophy as of now anyway.

So, yes EPL is the best in the world.

Reactions: YNWA14

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'd be very surprised if Roma advanced again. They don't have a history of being clutch or masters of match dynamics. They were imo easily the better team in Donetsk - but still lost on a last minute free kick - and gave Shakhtar another chance to win from a similar free kick tonight.

I wouldn't favor Sevilla too highly against most of the remaining teams either, except Roma.

I'd give both a chance as long as they weren't playing Barcelona or RM. Small chance against Bayern and City, 25-30% chance against Liverpool and Juve. Roma did get quality results in the group and their game with Juve earlier this season was very tight. Sevilla against City would be a bit interesting as long as Montella played Ben Yedder (yeah right).

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Jose’s comments are what you get when you make a deal with the devil.

On the Liverpool talk, I’m feeling that they’re the underdog in whichever tie they get, but I don’t think anyone wants them. Maybe City for revenge purposes.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Spurs created absolutely nothing against United either when they played them. United plays a much more defensive style than Juve at this stage with their players fit, but that's all they do is commit defensively. Hard to advance if they never create anything at all. Juve's defensive mentality is slightly overrated at this stage and it usually only appears once they score. They were wide open at Wembley. Of course they do have a great defense, and their goals against record is better, but they're not only a defensive team like a lot of people think.
Spurs played them all the way back in October though. And this was without Kane.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Spurs played them all the way back in October though. And this was without Kane.

If the ref called the penalty he should have, literally nobody would be talking about what Liverpool did or didn't create. It's easy to see how anyone could create chances against Juve, I don't know if you watched when they played Sporting or not. Gelson Martins ran through their team over and over again in both games.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I'll take anyone not named City... If barca go through. Its city trophy as of now anyway.

So, yes EPL is the best in the world.

Disagree. As good as City are from match to match, I don't think they have the peak potential of Barca or Madrid. Their central midfield play overall is still exploitable against teams that press well. They probably need another piece or two in defense/midfield to put them into genuine CL contender status. They are the most watchable team in Europe right now though. I would love for a City-Bayern matchup next round.

I'd give both a chance as long as they weren't playing Barcelona or RM. Small chance against Bayern and City, 25-30% chance against Liverpool and Juve. Roma did get quality results in the group and their game with Juve earlier this season was very tight. Sevilla against City would be a bit interesting as long as Montella played Ben Yedder (yeah right).

Sounds about right. It's possible, but it's a big long shot.

Reactions: Evilo

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Just got in after a shit day at work to see that United crashed out of the Champions League going into a 0-0 aggregate AT HOME.

I'm taking nothing away from Sevilla, but spending all of that money for a round of 16 exit against a team supposedly a tier below you is f***ing embarrassing.

Mourinho out.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Just got in after a **** day at work to see that United crashed out of the Champions League going into a 0-0 aggregate AT HOME.

I'm taking nothing away from Sevilla, but spending all of that money for a round of 16 exit against a team supposedly a tier below you is ****ing embarrassing.

Mourinho out.

He also mocked his own team after the game, cuz he’s such a classy guy.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
As the lone Roma supporter (I think) here , I would just like to say : bring it on!

Unless, of course, you support Bayern, Barca, Real Madrid, Juve and Man City.

Haha jokes aside, I think we could give Liverpool a go , and I certainly think we can play with Sevilla.

We would have no issues bypassing Klopp’s press and going long to Dzeko to play ugly , in fact, we resort to it against far weaker sides because our build-up play is so trash half the time. Plus, I think our midfield could frustrate the shit outta you. We have some beasts that play for keeps.

But, obviously, you guys are supremely dangerous and likely would cause our fullbacks to die.

So , I would definitely give you guys the edge. I love Klopp and the way you guys play and you have far more dangerous attackers (and just more talent overall). We haven’t played any team like you guys. The pace and determination in which you guys press would essentially remove any attempt by us to control possession, we would definitely resort to Mourinho’s tactics- no question. And we don’t have anything close to Rashford to hit you on the break with pace.

But, make no mistake, just like we are one of your preferred draws, you are the same to us. We would take the fun out of the game. If we turn the ball over in our own half against you guys we’re dead. We don’t have the technical ability nor the intelligence to try and play our way through you guys.

But unlike Mourinho , we don’t have 500 million worth of talent so it’s understandable.

Also, and possibly most importantly, we have the ultimate wildcard : Alisson.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I mean, Van Gaal spent money after Fergie retired, and they were shite.

Mourinho spends even more money and plays park the bus football, and while the placement in the league table is good at the moment, they're a two game losing streak away from being out of a Champions League spot. The team has spent literally a billion dollars in the last five years and only have a round of 16 Champions League appearance and a 3rd place EPL finish to show for it? f*** off. The board needs to be accountable here too. They're tabbing the wrong managers with the wrong strategies for the players they have. A team with Alexis, Rashford, and Martial on it should be playing an up tempo, attacking style, not have 11 players behind the ball.

I still don't understand the Fellaini fetish with both Van Gaal and Mourinho. Guy sucks.

Buy a real f***ing center back this window. Smalling isn't Champions League quality and Bailly is hurt half the time.

Young out. Shaw in.

Valencia is ok, but Fosu-Mensah can't develop fast enough for me.

Fellaini out, for the love of Jesus. Buy a real f***ing holding midfielder with some pace and distribution ability, none of this half-assed shit. Dani Ceballos is an excellent candidate if Madrid is liquidating for Neymar. Pogba should really be playing as a 1o or drifting with another holding midfielder in front of Matic in a 4-3-3. Playing him in a defensive role is such a god damn waste. He knows this too.

Buy a real f***ing right winger and develop them the right away. There are a shit ton of young and promising right wingers that are 18-21 years old. Literally the easiest position in the world at the moment to find a young, promising player. Knowing this board, they'll acquiesce a $100 million bid for Bale, and he'll be a shell of his former self.

Only a matter of time before Martial gets sick of the bullshit and demands a move. Same with De Gea. Top 3 goalie in the world that is having his prime years wasted.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Looks like Roma might be taking Fellaini off your hands, so that’s one less headache. :thumbu:

Also, if you’re interested in selling Darmian, Rojo, Blind, Pereira we’d take them too. .....For discounts , of course.

Martial would be a dream , but we could never afford him. PSG should probably pounce on that one.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
United should sign Gelson Martins and Lenglet, but you know for sure they won't.

Alas, both signings would make too much sense. Which is why they won't happen.

Looks like Roma might be taking Fellaini off your hands, so that’s one less headache. :thumbu:

Also, if you’re interested in selling Darmian, Rojo, Blind, Pereira we’d take them too. .....For discounts , of course.

Martial would be a dream , but we could never afford him. PSG should probably pounce on that one.

I can definitely see Martial to PSG. PSG will have a LW opening if Neymar does leave.

You can have the first three players you listed for free, honestly. Worth it just to get rid of their wages. I would want a fee for Pereira, but that's about it.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Lol.. sweet. Done.

They really aren’t bad players. Just bad fits, imo.

I have no idea why United went for Darmian in the first place.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
As for Martial , he should really play CF/ST at some point , imo.

Not gunna happen at United , though.

I didn’t like Sanchez move the day it happened. Nor am I a huge fan of Lukaku.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
So it’s been awhile since Liverpool made it this far; does the CL still draw the semifinal bracket the same day as the QF draw?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad