Rumor: City of Surrey wants to build new 10,000 Seat Arena - for relocated Professional Hockey Club

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
it could also involve the Garliardi"s as well. when you think about . they could move there farm team up here as well

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just what the Lower Mainland needs, another arena with a seating capacity of 8,000-10,000. Why? The AHL couldn't survive in Abbotsford; and the ECHL was a flop in Victoria. You can add in the Chilliwack Coliseum (5,500) and the Langley Events Center (5,700). Of course there's the venerable Pacific Coliseum (15,800). How many arenas does one metro region of 2.8m people really need?

I suppose the Giants could move to this new facility in Surrey. But you have to wonder when Surrey taxpayers are going step up and say 'no'. Surely that money can be better spent on improving the existing recreation facilities in a place that's growing as fast as Surrey.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Just what the Lower Mainland needs, another arena with a seating capacity of 8,000-10,000. Why? The AHL couldn't survive in Abbotsford; and the ECHL was a flop in Victoria. You can add in the Chilliwack Coliseum (5,500) and the Langley Events Center (5,700). Of course there's the venerable Pacific Coliseum (15,800). How many arenas does one metro region of 2.8m people really need?

I suppose the Giants could move to this new facility in Surrey. But you have to wonder when Surrey taxpayers are going step up and say 'no'. Surely that money can be better spent on improving the existing recreation facilities in a place that's growing as fast as Surrey.

While I understand what your saying I think this being on a skytrain line is a big boon for it.

I feel the pne and Langley both were just out of the way for people whoused transit.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
The arena makes a lot of sense with the argument from the article.

If they can turn the complex into a giant community centre instead of just a stadium, this has potential. People who live in surrounding areas would vote for this, not only would this offer them economic value in increasing their home values, it would be a great community building.

Reactions: JimmyJiveJones

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East

And Megaprojects always run over in coat and time according to the literature.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
The arena makes a lot of sense with the argument from the article.

If they can turn the complex into a giant community centre instead of just a stadium, this has potential. People who live in surrounding areas would vote for this, not only would this offer them economic value in increasing their home values, it would be a great community building.
Because if its one thing GVRDers need is in reased home prices.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Because if its one thing GVRDers need is in reased home prices.

We don't need it, but it is what it is. Having a community centre will help the values of all the apartments near by. It is the by product of increasing amenities for the public.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
it could also involve the Garliardi"s as well. when you think about . they could move there farm team up here as well

Why would Dallas want to move its farm team, which is currently only about 100 miles down the highway, to a place which is two time zones and a six-hour flight away and also 1000 miles or more from any other current AHL city-- thus necessitating a gruelling, inconvenient and expensive travel burden?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
AHL in Surrey doesn’t seem to make too much sense IMO. Migration of the AHL west has been concentrated I California.

SJ, LA, Ana, Edm and Cal have theirs in California. Seattle is going to California as well. And you have AZ and LV having their A team in state and it would take around 6.5 and 3.5 hours to drive from the SoCal cities to those 2 AHL cities.

don’t see the point of having a team in Surrey be so isolated from their opponents.

plus, for the benefit to be realized both teams would have to be on homestand a at the same time to be cable to call guys up and down. And the A needs to play mostly on weekends. So could they draw close to a full house if the Canucks are also playing on Saturday? Or would the A have to play an afternoon game to draw in the crowds?

Reactions: 3rd Sedin

3rd Sedin

Dec 15, 2010
Regina
Yes to Downtown/near skytrain stadium in Surrey

No to a redundant 10,000 seat arena

Yes to a 20,000 seat outdoor stadium (expandable to 30,000) for CPL and Lions

Reactions: garbageteam

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
this seems like a real estate deal for aquaman disguised as an arena. there is no way an ahl team's revenues support or even anchor support the cost base of a new 10,000 seat arena. as a former original giants season ticket holder i also don't believe that 10,000 seats would be sized to match ticket sale potential either. that would be sized for second tier concerts and special events.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Travel has always been a major barrier to the AHL in the West. Has Seattle confirmed where their AHL affiliate will play? Adding Vancouver and Seattle affiliates to the AHL Pacific Division to create an all west coast 7 team division (moving Colorado and Texas) would seem to make a lot of sense.
I don't know enough about AHL gate revenues to comment on whether a Surrey team would draw enough. I do know there are a lot of people in the lower mainland that would be thrilled to see an AHL affiliate less than 30 minutes away. Abbotsford was a non-starter for me. If it was a Canucks affiliate I may have gone to 1 or 2 games a year. If a Canucks affiliate was in Surrey I would consider season tickets.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
this seems like a real estate deal for aquaman disguised as an arena. there is no way an ahl team's revenues support or even anchor support the cost base of a new 10,000 seat arena. as a former original giants season ticket holder i also don't believe that 10,000 seats would be sized to match ticket sale potential either. that would be sized for second tier concerts and special events.

I believe an AHL team could work in Metro Vancouver - as long as it's affiliated with the Canucks. If it isn't no one will care. The Canucks and potential future Canucks are a draw to the diehards.

Reactions: canuckster19

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Travel has always been a major barrier to the AHL in the West. Has Seattle confirmed where their AHL affiliate will play? Adding Vancouver and Seattle affiliates to the AHL Pacific Division to create an all west coast 7 team division (moving Colorado and Texas) would seem to make a lot of sense.
I don't know enough about AHL gate revenues to comment on whether a Surrey team would draw enough. I do know there are a lot of people in the lower mainland that would be thrilled to see an AHL affiliate less than 30 minutes away. Abbotsford was a non-starter for me. If it was a Canucks affiliate I may have gone to 1 or 2 games a year. If a Canucks affiliate was in Surrey I would consider season tickets.
Seattle will out their AHL team in Palm Springs, CA. That being said the tots AHL teams in Cali to 6 once they arrive.

a Surrey ahl team will have to travel to Cali for all division road games. Not ideal to be that far removed from your division opponents.

I always thought it made more sense to try to put the A team in a place like Long Beach or Fresno or another Cali city.

are there benefits to gain having a team close by?

yes but it am not sure if the A team would draw well if they had to play a home game at the same evening as the Canucks.

how often do the giants play a home game on the same day as the Canucks?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad