U20: CIBC Canada/Russia series November 5-15th(6-16th for Russia's time zones)

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Great effort from Team Russia to come back and win it. Congratulations on the Series and much success on the upcoming WJC 2019 :).

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Good ending on Russia's end, disappointing performances from the various Canadian players. I don't envy those picking the team.

The team is probably 90% picked already. 96% if a couple of NHL players are released. The only use of these 6 games collectively, 1 or 2 games for each individual player is coloring around the edges and additional data to player profiles going back to their 1st. experience with Hockey Canada at U17.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I missed the game...who disappointed?

I meant for the duration of the series. Almost every player you would hope to see impress failed to do so. Glass and Smith at least looked good for the WHL, though they didn't produce. Leason looks like he oould be good despite seemingly coming out of nowhere. Hayton had a really strong first game for OHL and Merkley had good moments. In the QMJHL none of the players stood out in a good way. Dobson was fine, Lafreniere possessed the puck well. Veleno disappointed me.

The team is probably 90% picked already. 96% if a couple of NHL players are released. The only use of these 6 games collectively, 1 or 2 games for each individual player is coloring around the edges and additional data to player profiles going back to their 1st. experience with Hockey Canada at U17.

It probably is mostly picked already. I don't think that that was always the case, but in the last few years some of the selections indicate that things were decided pretty early.

Last edited:
Reactions: PuckLife

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011

i would say that the HC brass is trying to put on a game face today and not make any comments to put doubt in the minds of players and fans, but this was not a good showing folks. It is a real stretch to make a string of positives after scoring 9 goals in 6 games. I don't see any Drake Bathersons to bail us out at this point. This series did nothing to change anyones mind so.....
They may as well cancel the selection camp now, use the opportunity to work on team bonding and special teams and get at it. Don't waste any more time.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Team QMJL was the better team in Game 6, and probably deserved to win. This was especially true in the 2nd period, when the QMJL swarmed the Russian net. Give Russia credit for fighting off what looked like sure goals, and hanging around long enough to take advantage of some good bounces. This game seemed to have more passion and overall better play than the others.

Reactions: clarkebr

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Team QMJL was the better team in Game 6, and probably deserved to win. This was especially true in the 2nd period, when the QMJL swarmed the Russian net. Give Russia credit for fighting off what looked like sure goals, and hanging around long enough to take advantage of some good bounces. This game seemed to have more passion and overall better play than the others.

Team Russia was a better team in the 3rd, though. And almost lost it. This is hockey, after all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad