U20: CIBC Canada/Russia series November 5-15th(6-16th for Russia's time zones)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Thoughts:

Looking at the schedule for all the sh***storms coming out of Canada Canada remains Canada. Playing fair was never their virtue in that series. I can't imagine any unsurmountable obstacles that prevented creating a schedule for the series that would NOT start in the West with back to back games, NOT having just one day off between WHL and OHL games(especially with three(!) days off between the two OHL games) and NOT having the transition beween OHL and QMJHL being back to back again especially with the series stretched over 10 days(make it 11, 12, 14 days if need be). Canada will have completely fresh teams in those first games for every league so those while Russians will have to play most of their roster back to back and start the series in the most distant time zone after travelling from Russia in back to back games. This is a schedule deliberately set up to make it as tough as possible on Team Russia and nobody will convince me it could not be done otherwise. There is no urgency starting the series at a specific date(or place) or ending it on one. The whole change of the order of the games a couple of years back was about the same objective too, just to let Russia start in the West instead of a closer time zone with less travel before the series. Amazing how obsessed the CHL/Hockey Canada must be about winning this series.

Anyway, Russia sends a most unusual roster this time. Not much offence really. Even the D looks more prominent. It will be a tough test for Team Russia regardless.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Well, I'm slightly surprised that the whining and conspiracy theorizing about the schedule (even though Russia asked to start in the West several years ago) began before Russia even lost a game. But the above poster has already admitted that his mind will not be changed by anything so I guess I can look forward to the same next year as well. I just hope that Canada can pull off yet another miracle victory in this most prestigious of events and raise yet another commemorative banner at parliament. I heard that this year, should Canada win, Queen Elizabeth herself is going to join in the nation wide celebrations.

I will likely watch all of the games this year as each league features a fair number of contenders for the team. Main thing I'm looking for is which centre looks primed to be on the first line. I'm also very curious about Leason on team WHL.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Well, I'm slightly surprised that the whining and conspiracy theorizing about the schedule (even though Russia asked to start in the West several years ago) began before Russia even lost a game. But the above poster has already admitted that his mind will not be changed by anything so I guess I can look forward to the same next year as well. I just hope that Canada can pull off yet another miracle victory in this most prestigious of events and raise yet another commemorative banner at parliament. I heard that this year, should Canada win, Queen Elizabeth herself is going to join in the nation wide celebrations.

I will likely watch all of the games this year as each league features a fair number of contenders for the team. Main thing I'm looking for is which centre looks primed to be on the first line. I'm also very curious about Leason on team WHL.
LOL You are so typical. Bring up the conspiracy theories argument in you defence if you can't argue properly. So weak. Try proving two things:

That this schedule had to be composed that way and there was no better option possible for an adequate schedule with days for travel and rest inbetween. You will fail because the schedule is the same pile of dirt every year. So either Canadians are incapable of proper scheduling(I am ready to accept that explanation) or they do it on purpose.

That this schedule is equally tough/smooth on both sides and favors neither side. I am just saying that the guy who is forced to run a marathon a day before running a race over a mile is just not given the same chances to win and you call it a conspiracy theory and whining. Nice. Sorry, but I did my share of gambling in the past and I do know how back to back games and travel affect the odds. Not only my internal odds. The bookies know a lot about it too.

The real question here is why Canada is so desperate about every single result that they play those silly games since the 70s... Just to come up with the conspiracy theories claims against any critic afterwards.

Maybe it's a good thing then Russia sends it's C-Team:sarcasm: to this completely meaningless tournament even the Queen doesn't care about.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
This series isn't designed to be a chest-thumping exercise for Canada; it's merely another evaluation tool in selecting WJHC rosters for both sides. The result of the series is completely inconsequential.

I'm sure Russian management welcomes the chance to evaluate the performance of these players under less-than-ideal circumstances to see how they handle the adversity. At the same time, it gives them a look at Russian players playing in North America. If the Russian's don't see value in the initiative, I'm sure they wouldn't be participating.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Overall, this is a meaningless, made for television series that has no relevance to the WJC. Russia uses it as an evaluation tool, much the same as Canada, and could care less whether they win or lose, much the same as Canada. These results will never be quoted in the hockey history books. Canadians would never admit it, but it is an obvious advantage to play on home ice in front of home fans, and most importantly, with home league referees blowing the whistles. The calls that have been made in the past just boggle the mind, especially when you consider what they elect to let go. In the end, Russia should not complain, because it is a useful tool to evaluate marginal players, and Russia has the opportunity to benefit from it.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
LOL You are so typical. Bring up the conspiracy theories argument in you defence if you can't argue properly. So weak. Try proving two things:

That this schedule had to be composed that way and there was no better option possible for an adequate schedule with days for travel and rest inbetween. You will fail because the schedule is the same pile of dirt every year. So either Canadians are incapable of proper scheduling(I am ready to accept that explanation) or they do it on purpose.

That this schedule is equally tough/smooth on both sides and favors neither side. I am just saying that the guy who is forced to run a marathon a day before running a race over a mile is just not given the same chances to win and you call it a conspiracy theory and whining. Nice. Sorry, but I did my share of gambling in the past and I do know how back to back games and travel affect the odds. Not only my internal odds. The bookies know a lot about it too.

The real question here is why Canada is so desperate about every single result that they play those silly games since the 70s... Just to come up with the conspiracy theories claims against any critic afterwards.

Maybe it's a good thing then Russia sends it's C-Team:sarcasm: to this completely meaningless tournament even the Queen doesn't care about.

I will agree that the back to back games are not ideal and should be avoided. Starting in the West was something that Russia wanted several years ago, it was discussed at the time. The basic idea was that for the first few games there would be jet lag anyway, it was better to start in the West where the travel was worst and move East, with the time zone becoming more favourable as the series moved on and the travel becoming easier the longer they were away. There is no ideal solution for Russia given that they travel such a far distance, but it is still a good development tool for each side.

The conspiracy theorizing is so laughable because this is just an assessment tool. Anyone who particularly cares about the results of the teams, as opposed to how individual players look, is grasping. It's fairly obvious on both sides given how Russia constructs its roster and how the CHL often prefers to put its top players in only one game as opposed to two. That anyone would seriously entertain that either side is looking to game the system to have a favourable result is even more laughable than the idea of people taking these results seriously, and probably says more about the claimant than anything else. This is at least the third consecutive year you've floated out your conspiracy theory regarding such a meaningless series though, so I look forward to inevitably seeing it again next year.

Reactions: cg98 and jj cale

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Overall, this is a meaningless, made for television series that has no relevance to the WJC. Russia uses it as an evaluation tool, much the same as Canada, and could care less whether they win or lose, much the same as Canada. These results will never be quoted in the hockey history books. Canadians would never admit it, but it is an obvious advantage to play on home ice in front of home fans, and most importantly, with home league referees blowing the whistles. The calls that have been made in the past just boggle the mind, especially when you consider what they elect to let go. In the end, Russia should not complain, because it is a useful tool to evaluate marginal players, and Russia has the opportunity to benefit from it.

I don't agree, it's meaningless. Canada - Russia games can't be meaningless, especially the higher level is. It looks like not a lot of people cared about that U17 Russia - Canada White game, but these U20 games were and still are pretty interesting and popular.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's almost as if people don't realize that these games are being scheduled around CHL games.

Notice both weeks are Mon, Tues, Thurs?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Speaking of weird schedules, if Glass plays for Portland this afternoon(and I don't see why he wouldn't) he'll be playing 5 straight days.
Edit: Glass has left for Kamloops so he gets a day off.

and I don't remember ever seeing anyone brag about the results from Can-Russia series. :eek:

Last edited:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I don't agree, it's meaningless. Canada - Russia games can't be meaningless, especially the higher level is. It looks like not a lot of people cared about that U17 Russia - Canada White game, but these U20 games were and still are pretty interesting and popular.

It’s nice to win, but, ultimately, results are meaningless. The sole purpose of this series is to test WJC candidates. Nothing more, nothing less.

I also welcome the ridiculous schedule. It exposes players who are unwilling to give 100% under adverse conditions.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
does anyone know which players are playing in which games for the OHL? I saw on Sportsnet that Bouchard is in game 3 and Formenton in in game 4 but that's it.

Last edited by a moderator:

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Thoughts:

Looking at the schedule for all the sh***storms coming out of Canada Canada remains Canada. Playing fair was never their virtue in that series. I can't imagine any unsurmountable obstacles that prevented creating a schedule for the series that would NOT start in the West with back to back games, NOT having just one day off between WHL and OHL games(especially with three(!) days off between the two OHL games) and NOT having the transition beween OHL and QMJHL being back to back again especially with the series stretched over 10 days(make it 11, 12, 14 days if need be). Canada will have completely fresh teams in those first games for every league so those while Russians will have to play most of their roster back to back and start the series in the most distant time zone after travelling from Russia in back to back games. This is a schedule deliberately set up to make it as tough as possible on Team Russia and nobody will convince me it could not be done otherwise. There is no urgency starting the series at a specific date(or place) or ending it on one. The whole change of the order of the games a couple of years back was about the same objective too, just to let Russia start in the West instead of a closer time zone with less travel before the series. Amazing how obsessed the CHL/Hockey Canada must be about winning this series.

Anyway, Russia sends a most unusual roster this time. Not much offence really. Even the D looks more prominent. It will be a tough test for Team Russia regardless.

:laugh:

This is just sad. Somehow the schedule is slanted against Russia? Canada will be fresh for these games????

the WHL has games the weekend before their games. The OHL has games every single day between the first and second game, while Russia rests. Only the Q has a couple of days rest before the first game.

If anything, Russia has the advantage by schedule.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
The Russian hockey federation has openly admitted that they are fully aware that the schedule is not favourable and they are OK with it. Bragin has previously said that this is very important test for his players and how they handle adversity. If players can stand up to rigours of this tournament and prevail they will be more than ready for WJC.

On a higher level, this is an excellent tool for both federations to compare talent level and development program effectiveness at a deeper level than WJC, while avoiding the pressure of winning or losing. Nothing more, nothing less.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The Russian hockey federation has openly admitted that they are fully aware that the schedule is not favourable and they are OK with it. Bragin has previously said that this is very important test for his players and how they handle adversity. If players can stand up to rigours of this tournament and prevail they will be more than ready for WJC.

On a higher level, this is an excellent tool for both federations to compare talent level and development program effectiveness at a deeper level than WJC, while avoiding the pressure of winning or losing. Nothing more, nothing less.

Agree, our kids need tests like this, young kids need tests overall. Pity, this test doesn't always correspondent with WJC success. For example, players who looked good in last year's series, sucked at WJC.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Canadians would never admit it, but it is an obvious advantage to play on home ice in front of home fans, and most importantly, with home league referees blowing the whistles.

Of course we'll admit it.

It's what we've been saying about the World Championships for 50 years.

We don't take tournaments like that seriously, which is why no one goes around chest-thumping about the Canada-Russia junior series.

Reactions: cg98 and jj cale

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Of course we'll admit it.

It's what we've been saying about the World Championships for 50 years.

We don't take tournaments like that seriously, which is why no one goes around chest-thumping about the Canada-Russia junior series.

You miss the point entirely! Also the context. Unlike the WJC, which is held in Canada or on the Canadian border, where Canadian fans will swamp the disinterested Americans 8 or 9 times out of every 10 years, the WC switches countries every year. In context, Canada is typically among the top 3 favorites to medal every year, so when it is allowed to host the WJC every year, it is a huge competitive advantage which is hard for competitors to overcome. It is a disgrace, but Rene Faisel is drowning in money as a result. Belarus, France, and Switzerland may occasionally have home-ice advantage in the WC, but their hockey teams aren't even close to being good enough to enjoy the benefits of it! You can't say that about Canada. Ironically, the one year that Canada applied to host the WC, in 2008 in Quebec, with probably the best team it ever assembled in the tournament, it lost. The advantage was there, Canada just failed to take advantage of it.

Reactions: Ingvar

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Cozens scored for WHL as a powerplay expired. Shen scored less than thirty seconds later for Russia off the rush. Both teams look disjointed. Glass is noticeable thus far.

Last edited:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

I've seen some people chest thump about the Canada-Russia series. Really. But not many.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad