U20: CIBC Canada/Russia series November 5-15th(6-16th for Russia's time zones)

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Are we seeing a new trend? Great defensive performances by Russian teams? This performance would certainly qualify.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Well, I'm now interested to see what the QMJHL players will do. Russia's defence is good and neither the WHL or OHL generated that much. I'm especially interested in seeing if any of Beaudin, Joseph, McIsaac or Dobson stand out. I am expecting that at least Dobson will. Also looking forward to seeing what Lafreniere does.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
In the stretches of the game that I saw the Russians were very good defensively. OHL just couldn’t generate any sustained pressure.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
First game after a proper break. 4-0. Just saying.

A back-to-back after travel tomorrow again. Give them from the Q a chance, right?

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
Yeah Formenton was Canada's best in the second period. He's a lock. Tippett is as disappointing as always. I think that the only absolute locks I would cite (excluding goaltenders) thus far in this series are Glass, Smith, Formenton, Hayton and Bouchard. I wasn't even that impressed with Bouchard last game, but seeing the OHL without him I have an increased appreciation. The series isn't the be and and end all when it comes to camp invites but it isn't making things easier in my eyes. I expect Frost and Suzuki from the OHL but they haven't really impressed me.

I didn't think Hayton had the best game but i think in the end he and Frost make it. The quick pace separated a lot of players last night from the lock position. This game is a whole lot better than beating up on an opponent and everyone talking about how great they are. Each player had a millisecond to think the game and some players passed the test while others went in the drum for a larger growing "pick me please " gray area. This team is the most wide open i have seen in many many years.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
As a good practice this schedule will suffice. At the WJC all teams will be in the same boat though unlike in this series.
You actually have a point there, the last game in the Q was on saturday, the next one is this friday, why couldn't they give team Russia a day off and play on wensday, giving the Q players a day off before Friday is beyond me.
At the same time - this series is NOT about winning, it's about being able to face adversity at the WJC, such schedule, referring, dealing with the time difference, etc.
I am sure, it's not Bragin's top goal to win these series.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I liked what I saw from a lot of players last night, Romanov was very physical and solid, the guy needs more pt, I would play him in the VHL for like 20 min a game and see what he can do.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Most of Team OHL played 2 games since Thursday’s game. Many were playing their 4th in 5. No surprise to me last night that most of them looked tired.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Well, I'm now interested to see what the QMJHL players will do. Russia's defence is good and neither the WHL or OHL generated that much. I'm especially interested in seeing if any of Beaudin, Joseph, McIsaac or Dobson stand out. I am expecting that at least Dobson will. Also looking forward to seeing what Lafreniere does.

The Q should be Canadas best team in this series I would think. I would think Dobson will be their best dman in the series (Bouchard wasnt amazing), Lafreniere probably their best offensive player and I think probably at least 2 other D make it from the Q on the final WJC team. I'm not sure the forward depth is there on the Q necessarily but guys like Veleno and Lavoie can play.

I'm not sure they can do worse than what we've seen out of the W and OHL teams so far, I havent really been impressed

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It's 2-1 Russia after the first period. Joseph scored with a weak wrist shot from the point, though it may have been tipped. The game is a lot more wide open than the previous four were.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
The Q should be Canadas best team in this series I would think. I would think Dobson will be their best dman in the series (Bouchard wasnt amazing), Lafreniere probably their best offensive player and I think probably at least 2 other D make it from the Q on the final WJC team. I'm not sure the forward depth is there on the Q necessarily but guys like Veleno and Lavoie can play.

I'm not sure they can do worse than what we've seen out of the W and OHL teams so far, I havent really been impressed

Period 1
Time to paraphrase Tiny Tim

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad