Proposal: Chychrun to Anaheim

Rate the Proposal & Leave a Comment

• Total voters

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Fair value but Ducks have a long ways to go. This is the type of move you could consider making to top off a rebuild, not during the middle of it.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Take that up with Marek, Friedman, LeBrun, Dreger, Johnston, Kypreos, etc. Basically all of the national insiders were saying exactly the same thing. Which was echoed by most of the local beat writers in Arizona and the other markets rumored to be in the mix.

Chychrun is cheap and young and extremely talented. He finished Top10 in Norris voting two seasons ago. And I promise you it won’t be the last time. Players like this never become available. Which is why the acquisition price is as unprecedented as the asset availability.
Lol

Why hasn’t he been dealt yet then haha asking price is way too high. He will stay on Az

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Lol

Why hasn’t he been dealt yet then haha asking price is way too high. He will stay on Az
It’s not too high. The price will get met. I expect it will be roughly equivalent to a mid-first, a late-first, and an early-second in value.

Fans who have negative opinions of Chychrun are just telling on themselves for never having watched him play hockey and talking out of their asses anyhow. It’s actually a convenient fraud ID.

The poll is 26-26 as of now. Glad to see an even split.

Reactions: Nowotny

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Fair value but Ducks have a long ways to go. This is the type of move you could consider making to top off a rebuild, not during the middle of it.

It depends, and I don't think it's as clear cut as you're making it out.

If they add Chychrun without giving up anything from their roster (package centered around 10th overall (which would be 3-5 years away from contributing), and they add some free agents or other pieces on top of that, they could be in the same position next year as teams like BUF, NJD and OTT, where the goal is to turn the corner and aim to compete as soon as next season.

Given the cap space they have (the most in the league) and possibly more if they move Gibson, they could really do some damage this summer in the UFA market or taking on some players other teams may not be able to afford to keep. And they have enough picks & prospects to be able to add intelligently without mortgaging the future.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
It depends, and I don't think it's as clear cut as you're making it out.

If they add Chychrun without giving up anything from their roster (package centered around 10th overall (which would be 3-5 years away from contributing), and they add some free agents or other pieces on top of that, they could be in the same position next year as teams like BUF, NJD and OTT, where the goal is to turn the corner and aim to compete as soon as next season.

Given the cap space they have (the most in the league) and possibly more if they move Gibson, they could really do some damage this summer in the UFA market or taking on some players other teams may not be able to afford to keep. And they have enough picks & prospects to be able to add intelligently without mortgaging the future.
They could but I'd view that as a mistake similar to how GMTM wanted to expedite our rebuild after getting Eichel. I think they need a few more foundational pieces first.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
They could but I'd view that as a mistake similar to how GMTM wanted to expedite our rebuild after getting Eichel. I think they need a few more foundational pieces.

Again, I think that's too simplistic a view. You can't paint all trades with the same brush. Had Murray made better trades, not whiffed on a top 8 pick in Nylander, and drafted better outside the first round, things could have been very different.

Many of ANA's top young players are already on the team and contributing and in some cases had breakout seasons: Drysdale, Lundestrom, Zegras, Terry. McTavish has as good a chance as anyone to win the Calder next year.

There's also a difference between trading picks/prospects for a older veteran player who doesn't fit the window, versus a guy like Chychrun who would squarely fit the age range of the team right now and could be part of their core for the next 10-12 years. We're not talking about them trading for a guy like JT Miller or Josh Anderson.

I'm also not sure Verbeek will want the team to be in a losing environment by doing nothing to improve the roster. The Ducks are further ahead compared to other teams that have been in rebuild mode and area ready to start turning the corner to be competitive again.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Again, I think that's too simplistic a view. You can't paint all trades with the same brush. Had Murray made better trades, not whiffed on a top 8 pick in Nylander, and drafted better outside the first round, things could have been very different.

Many of ANA's top young players are already on the team and contributing and in some cases had breakout seasons: Drysdale, Lundestrom, Zegras, Terry. McTavish has as good a chance as anyone to win the Calder next year.

There's also a difference between trading picks/prospects for a older veteran player who doesn't fit the window, versus a guy like Chychrun who would squarely fit the age range of the team right now and could be part of their core for the next 10-12 years. We're not talking about them trading for a guy like JT Miller or Josh Anderson.

I'm also not sure Verbeek will want the team to be in a losing environment by doing nothing to improve the roster. The Ducks are further ahead compared to other teams that have been in rebuild mode and area ready to start turning the corner to be competitive again.
I’d say it’s a rare opportunity. Most teams don’t get a chance to do it this quickly and without at total and prolonged bottom out.

RussianSpy

Oct 3, 2017
Chicago, IL
OP is persistent if nothing else.

Why would Anaheim want to acquire Chychrun now when they are as likely to make the playoffs in the next two years as Arizona is?

Why would Chychrun be happy going from one rebuilding team to another rebuilding team?

How does this trade make sense at all? Can that be an option to pick???

Because he could play in an NHL stadium that has fans in it.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County

What does the bolded even mean?

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Based on the rumours about the Chychrun ask:

Deal A - I wouldn't be surprised if this was what Chychrun went for.

Deal B - I would be surprised if this was all Arizona wanted. I think Zell + 22nd > Perreault + 10th at the moment.

I honestly don't know if the Ducks would make a serious run for Chychrun. Would be a serious upgrade on the left side, but IMO wouldn't address some of the more glaring holes in the lineup.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
What does the bolded even mean?

I was responding to someone who suggested that ANA making trades for established young players (as opposed to just standing pat, use all their picks and allow their prospects to develop organically) would be the equivalent to the moves that Tim Murray made in Buffalo.

I was responding by saying when you miss on top 10 picks (i.e. Alex Nylander) or make bad trades for players who are not age-appropriate or just bad trades in general, you're going to run into problems.

So just because Buffalo made some bad picks & trades does not mean that any team who makes a trade when they're rebuilding is a mistake. In short, I don't think it's either applicable or fair to try to draw any equivalent between BUF/Murray and ANA/Verbeek.

Not sure what we confusing about my post.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
These seem like fair proposals... I don't have enough intel on Chychruns injuries and complete game.

What's up with Chychs knee?

It was a minor injury (2-4 week timeline). Had he been traded at the deadline, he for sure would have been ready for Game 1 of the playoffs and likely before then. But AZ held him out for the balance of the season as a precaution to protect an asset and because they weren't exactly in a playoff hunt.

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Buffalo picked Alex Nylander 8th overall in 2016 when they could've had Sergachev or McAvoy, which perhaps would've altered their trajectory a bit.
Lol I thought he was referring to the Ducks and GMBM. Glad I asked for clarification.

I was responding to someone who suggested that ANA making trades for established young players (as opposed to just standing pat, use all their picks and allow their prospects to develop organically) would be the equivalent to the moves that Tim Murray made in Buffalo.

I was responding by saying when you miss on top 10 picks (i.e. Alex Nylander) or make bad trades for players who are not age-appropriate or just bad trades in general, you're going to run into problems.

So just because Buffalo made some bad picks & trades does not mean that any team who makes a trade when they're rebuilding is a mistake. In short, I don't think it's either applicable or fair to try to draw any equivalent between BUF/Murray and ANA/Verbeek.

Not sure what we confusing about my post.
Thx for the clarification. I thought you were referring to Anaheim and Bob Murray which is why I was confused. 😂

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Comtois + 10th OA seems like a good place to start.

A big no-no on trading Zellweger or Perreault, maybe add a 2nd/3rd and go for it.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Lol I thought he was referring to the Ducks and GMBM. Glad I asked for clarification.

Thx for the clarification. I thought you were referring to Anaheim and Bob Murray which is why I was confused. 😂

The drafting of Nylander with a top 8 pick should have given it away.....unless there's a 3rd Nylander brother you guys took 8th overall that I don't know about ;)

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Comtois coming off a bad year another team could easily beat this

Yes, but Comtois could be a good bounce-back candidate. If it's Comtois + 10th overall + something else, that could be a decent package.

Perhaps the something else could be a swap of picks? #22 for #43 ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad