Proposal: Chychrun to Anaheim

Rate the Proposal & Leave a Comment

• Total voters

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I get it. I don't agree with it, but I get it. We have probably the least amount of veteran talent since the Samueli's bought the team and it's in a year with a generational talent. If you're a believer in "rebuilding the right way", is that the year you want to see the building start?

As for Chychrun, I'm a bit skeptical teams will pony up more for him because of his great contract given they rarely have in the past, even if I think they should. I think its a fairly level playing field in that sense where everyone's just valuing him for the player he is.
I guess im looking at the Hagel deal... and wondering if that doesnt start becoming more normalized.

Why waste a 1st on a rental dmen... when you can waste 2 1sts for a player that will be there at that money for 3 years.

Hell if im the coyotes id retain 50% on chychrun, they never going to use that money. Chychrun at 2.3 for 3 years is rediculous value for a team like Toronto/Tampa/ or any contender really.

Reactions: rt
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I guess im looking at the Hagel deal... and wondering if that doesnt start becoming more normalized.

Why waste a 1st on a rental dmen... when you can waste 2 1sts for a player that will be there at that money for 3 years.

Hell if im the coyotes id retain 50% on chychrun, they never going to use that money. Chychrun at 2.3 for 3 years is rediculous value for a team like Toronto/Tampa/ or any contender really.
It could, especially if Tampa wins again, but I'm skeptical. The Hagel deal wasn't the first of its ilk, the Barclay Goodrow and especially Blake Coleman trades were following similar logic, paying a premium for a player because their contract is really good. But you see the thing in common with those three trades, yeah?

I totally agree with your logic, it's what I'd do too, but so far exactly one team has shown a willingness to do that sort of thing. Maybe even just Tampa making it this far will convince others it's a winning strategy, at some point I think it eventually becomes commonplace, but with how risk-adverse GMs are I dunno if it's anytime soon.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
For me Chychrun just isn't the right player for the Ducks. Fowler and Shattenkirk probably shouldn't be you top PK d men and honestly, maybe not on it at all. How much does Chychrun actually pk because vaaks and Drysdale should probably be on it even less.

Reactions: duckpuck and bsu

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
For me Chychrun just isn't the right player for the Ducks. Fowler and Shattenkirk probably shouldn't be you top PK d men and honestly, maybe not on it at all. How much does Chychrun actually pk because vaaks and Drysdale should probably be on it even less.
Yeah and we got Zellweger coming up for another offensive defensemen... I think this ship has sailed and Verbeek already has a different plan for the team.

Reactions: wraparound

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Chychrun, Jakob.png

UFA after 3 seasons and has never played 70 games in a season isn't someone who the Ducks should be looking to trade for.

Reactions: bsu and Blueston

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
I’d do either as a ducks fan if they can convince Chychrun to stay around.

Chychrun is a fantastic player that is too good to pass up on.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Chychrun is not a top-pairing/elite defenseman, IMO.

Both options are overpay.

YMMV, of course.

What about my proposal (post #24)?

There’s no doubt in my mind the Yotes will be willing to retain 50% on Chychrun if that’s the key to getting max value in a trade.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
AZ: Pittsburgh 2022 21st OA, Winnipeg 2022 2nd round pick (Caps own it), Pittsburgh 2023 2nd round pick

Capitals: Dumoulin

Penguins: Chychrun

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
AZ: Pittsburgh 2022 21st OA, Winnipeg 2022 2nd round pick (Caps own it), Pittsburgh 2023 2nd round pick

A late 1st and two late 2nds doesn’t get Chychrun. The price is closer to three lates 1sts in value. As in the OP. At the very least, you’d need to change that PIT ‘23 2nd to the ‘23 1st. This is assuming all of the reports from nearly every insider have been correct. Personally, I don’t have any clue.

Reactions: Nowotny and jmelm

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
A late 1st and two late 2nds doesn’t get Chychrun. The price is closer to three lates 1sts in value. As in the OP. At the very least, you’d need to change that PIT ‘23 2nd to the ‘23 1st. This is assuming all of the reports from nearly every insider have been correct. Personally, I don’t have any clue.
That seems high. I would be out if thats the case

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

Not enough for JC. @rt is right. It would be 2 1sts + 2nd, unless the Penguins are willing to part with either POJ or Poulin and ARI wants one of those in lieu of the ‘22 1st.

Probably add another 2nd rounder if ARI retains 50% on JC.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Never even thought of Chychrun in Anaheim. Makes a lot of sense tbh. Imagine re-signing H. Lindholm and a key forward like Forsberg or Kadri. You’ve got a good squad to roll with.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That seems high.
Take that up with Marek, Friedman, LeBrun, Dreger, Johnston, Kypreos, etc. Basically all of the national insiders were saying exactly the same thing. Which was echoed by most of the local beat writers in Arizona and the other markets rumored to be in the mix.

Chychrun is cheap and young and extremely talented. He finished Top10 in Norris voting two seasons ago. And I promise you it won’t be the last time. Players like this never become available. Which is why the acquisition price is as unprecedented as the asset availability.

LuckyDucky

Mar 18, 2015
Never even thought of Chychrun in Anaheim. Makes a lot of sense tbh. Imagine re-signing H. Lindholm and a key forward like Forsberg or Kadri. You’ve got a good squad to roll with.
He re-upped with Boston for 8 years, which is why some Ducks fans are hesitant to trade for Chychrun.

Reactions: CraigsList

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
It could, especially if Tampa wins again, but I'm skeptical. The Hagel deal wasn't the first of its ilk, the Barclay Goodrow and especially Blake Coleman trades were following similar logic, paying a premium for a player because their contract is really good. But you see the thing in common with those three trades, yeah?

I totally agree with your logic, it's what I'd do too, but so far exactly one team has shown a willingness to do that sort of thing. Maybe even just Tampa making it this far will convince others it's a winning strategy, at some point I think it eventually becomes commonplace, but with how risk-adverse GMs are I dunno if it's anytime soon.
Tampa makes those trades because they have a loaded roster (with cap issues), built through many years of drafting, and are now looking to trade futures to extend their cup window with current NHL contributors. They also know the future first round picks will almost certainly be very low, so its 50-50% that player ever becomes a top NHL player. It is a no brainer.

None of those considerations apply to a team like Anaheim.

Reactions: Rec T and Ducks DVM

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Yeah, don't see the fit in Anaheim. They're nowhere close to competing and giving up a pile of cheap cost controlled assets for a more expensive win now player is the kind of move poorly run Canadian franchises love to make when trying to rush through a rebuild.

Chychrun would make a lot more sense in places like LA, Edmonton, maybe St. Louis or New Jersey.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Would be a good move for Anaheim. They'd take roughly the value they got for an expiring Lindholm and receive Chychrun with term.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Anaheim’s in a full blown rebuild. They’re not moving futures for Chychrun.

It’s not clear at all that ANA will still be in thr midst of a full blown rebuild rebuild next season. It’s more likely they will be trying to come out of their rebuild, similar to OTT, BUF and NJD.

A lot of their best young pieces are on the team already or will be next year (McTavish) and they may not want to wait 3-5 years for the whoever they draft in the first or 2nd round to arrive.

Additionally, there’s been talk about them being active in free agency this summer — either to bring back players they moved out (talk of Manson coming back) or other UFAs to fill out their lineup.

So they may very well be interested in a package centered around 10th overall for Chychrun, especially given their surplus of other draft picks.

Reactions: Duck Off

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
It’s not clear at all that ANA will still be in thr midst of a full blown rebuild rebuild next season. It’s more likely they will be trying to come out of their rebuild, similar to OTT, BUF and NJD.

A lot of their best young pieces are on the team already or will be next year (McTavish) and they may not want to wait 3-5 years for the whoever they draft in the first or 2nd round to arrive.

Additionally, there’s been talk about them being active in free agency this summer — either to bring back players they moved out (talk of Manson coming back) or other UFAs to fill out their lineup.

So they may very well be interested in a package centered around 10th overall for Chychrun, especially given their surplus of other draft picks.
They certainly indicated they're going deeper into a rebuild when they traded Manson and Lindholm three months ago...

Reactions: Crazy8oooo

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
They certainly indicated they're going deeper into a rebuild when they traded Manson and Lindholm three months ago...

I think all it really indicated was they weren’t going to let guys walk for nothing if they weren’t going to re-sign them, which any non-playoff team would do.

I don’t think that necessarily gives any indication of what their objectives are for this summer & next season. We simply don’t know that yet. They also may need to be active and start pursuing trades & UFAs this summer given the salary cap floor, especially with Getzlad retiring and if they move out Gibson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad