Chychrun Megathread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
How much have the trade rumours weighed on him? Does that explain his regression, or is it about losing OEL or losing Gogo?

Reactions: Kegs

cobra427

May 6, 2012
How much have the trade rumours weighed on him? Does that explain his regression, or is it about losing OEL or losing Gogo?
Its a combination of his injury, not having a solid partner in Goose, and getting top pairing minutes on D like OEL I think his goal scoring was abnormal last year too. Chych is in a much tougher position now.

I think he gets traded at the TDL in the last hour, that is when best offers surface.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
Keep Chychrun, Keller, Crouse and Scmaltz. Trade anyone else for anything. If nothing else we have to put a team on the ice next year. If you thought this season was bad, wait until 22/23, minus any of those four. I don’t think tank would be a strong enough word.

Reactions: Prarievarg

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I like Ceulemans + CBJ pick better than that package. But I agree that the StL package is decent value. Certainly better than something based on Spencer Knight.

Reactions: Nowotny and Schemp

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I rather wait until the off-season starts. We'll know the order and if the Coyotes finally win 1 of the lottery picks. Ideally target CBJs 2 1sts.
Trading Chychrun, I want a top 6 center coming back regardless of when and whichever team.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Don’t think CBJ is going to do 2x Top10 picks for Chychrun. I’d do Chychrun for Ceulemans and one of those Top10 picks, though. Still not sure why Columbus is in the mix, however. I don’t understand the fit.

With STL the fit is obvious to me.

rt

May 13, 2004
I rather wait until the off-season starts. We'll know the order and if the Coyotes finally win 1 of the lottery picks. Ideally target CBJs 2 1sts.
Trading Chychrun, I want a top 6 center coming back regardless of when and whichever team.
At the trade deadline, players are at a premium while futures are depreciated. At the draft, the inverse is true.

Additionally, teams want Chychrun at the deadline because he’s a low cap solution for FOUR playoff runs. At the draft that becomes only three.

Finally, post-deadline, Chychrun’s play could continue to stagnate and/or more injury issues could arise and/or the player’s camp could become frustrated with and make a public trade demand.

For me, all of these value diminishing factors/risks outweigh the benefits of wanting to know the draft order.

Reactions: cobra427

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Don’t think CBJ is going to do 2x Top10 picks for Chychrun. I’d do Chychrun for Ceulemans and one of those Top10 picks, though. Still not sure why Columbus is in the mix, however. I don’t understand the fit.

With STL the fit is obvious to me.

Some others here pointed out that CBJ has a GM who is on the hot fence, and has a hard time attracting UFA's. I agree that it still seems like a bad fit, but it's easy to forget that this was a team who made it to the second round of the playoffs in 2019 (beat TB in the 1st round) and 2020. They are more of a retool team than a rebuild team as their core is still on the young side. Kind of like where we should have been a season or two ago had RT not stifled everyone.

They just drafted two promising centers, have a history of drafting damn well. A blueline of Chychrun, Werenski and Boqvist is young and damn promising. They have a potential superstar in Laine if they can get him back in form too.

They also would essentially be turning Seth Jones, the TB 1st in 2021 and their 2022 1st into Chychrun, Boqvist, Sillinger and Jake Bean which is insane.

This wouldn't be my route if it was up to me, but it's interesting. Seems to have a very STL type of build, and if Kent Johnson and Silinger can pan out at center watch out.

rt

May 13, 2004
Some others here pointed out that CBJ has a GM who is on the hot fence, and has a hard time attracting UFA's. I agree that it still seems like a bad fit, but it's easy to forget that this was a team who made it to the second round of the playoffs in 2019 (beat TB in the 1st round) and 2020. They are more of a retool team than a rebuild team as their core is still on the young side. Kind of like where we should have been a season or two ago had RT not stifled everyone.

They just drafted two promising centers, have a history of drafting damn well. A blueline of Chychrun, Werenski and Boqvist is young and damn promising. They have a potential superstar in Laine if they can get him back in form too.

They also would essentially be turning Seth Jones, the TB 1st in 2021 and their 2022 1st into Chychrun, Boqvist, Sillinger and Jake Bean which is insane.

This wouldn't be my route if it was up to me, but it's interesting. Seems to have a very STL type of build, and if Kent Johnson and Silinger can pan out at center watch out.
Great points!

Was just laughing at the idea of doing Neighbours, Bolduc and a 1st and then drafting Nathan Gaucher. We’d be reuniting Guenther with Neighbours and then Bolduc with Gaucher. Haha. And then if my new favorite plan works out, Lindgren with Seminoff. Lol.

Reactions: Grimes

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
At the trade deadline, players are at a premium while futures are depreciated. At the draft, the inverse is true.

Additionally, teams want Chychrun at the deadline because he’s a low cap solution for FOUR playoff runs. At the draft that becomes only three.

Finally, post-deadline, Chychrun’s play could continue to stagnate and/or more injury issues could arise and/or the player’s camp could become frustrated with and make a public trade demand.

For me, all of these value diminishing factors/risks outweigh the benefits of wanting to know the draft order.
At the draft, more teams will be bidding. Currently there are only a few teams bidding and those teams are hoping to win the cup. Those teams offering any 1st will look like the 32nd pick.
I also can't help but think this draft will be GMBA's legacy, how to rebuild in 1 draft.

Reactions: PainForShane

cobra427

May 6, 2012

I agree, and all of this is why he gets traded at the TDL. His play could also fall off further as the team tanks through the end of the year and their is less reason for anyone to play hard.

If BA waits, what is Chychrun worth straight up at the draft? 5th pick through 10th pick?

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019

Disagree with the first two points.

In Chychrun's case, yes 4 runs becomes three runs, but after the playoffs there will be at least two or three good teams who either just missed out of the playoffs (LA or ANA) or don't make as deep a run as they should have (e.g, FLA if / when Gus Forsling gets exposed against 2nd lines with Tavares / Stamkos). Speaking of Florida, to me Florida insisting on keeping Lundell would be like if the Pens insisted on keeping Jordan Staal instead of trading him for a young Kris Letang, if the Pens had needed defensive depth at the time. Put another way Lundell may become amazing, I just think he's expendable on a team with that many good forwards who are all in their primes and above him on the depth chart (esp if you need D help). Florida fans understandably disagree now, I wonder what they'll think after the playoffs.

Anyway after a near miss, any team you could get Chych at a good low cap hit for 3 more years, and then likely longer when he re-signs... in this flat cap world why wouldn't you do that, esp if after a failed run you're now on the hot seat? Of course this will cost you a lot in assets, so either way this is a franchise altering decision... so you should take your time and make sure you can stomach gutting your pipeline for him. Putting it this way, Chychrun's value should stay high throughout the offseason especially if teams are able to draft the players they want (bc then they are better able to withstand emptying their cupboard).

Last point sure, maybe Chychrun's play falls off and if you think he's not likely to return to the way he was playing a couple of years ago, then trade him now for whatever you can get (it seems like this might be what you're trying to do). I disagree though, I think Chychrun will at the very least become a respectable top pair guy / long time franchise cornerstone, those types of players are very hard to find even if you're able to gather all the draft picks in the world.

Anyway either way we will see! Right now no way to tell which argument is both correct, it really depends on how good you think Chychrun will be (and how likely to re-sign as a UFA) no one really knows anyway. I just think if you have a good & improving player who is at least publicly happy (even in THIS mess) then you definitely try to keep him or at least get next level value

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Keep Chychrun, Keller, Crouse and Scmaltz. Trade anyone else for anything. If nothing else we have to put a team on the ice next year. If you thought this season was bad, wait until 22/23, minus any of those four. I don’t think tank would be a strong enough word.

Murf, we really don't have anyone else anyway. Literally the only players we have signed after this year (other than those guys) are Ladd (one more year at 5.5m), Ghost Bear (one more year at 4.5), Moser on his ELC for two more years, Connor Timmins for another year (<1m) if he counts as an NHLer.

That's it. That's our entire roster for 2022-2023 and beyond. We don't officially even have Crouse yet because he's an RFA after this year.

Talk about a rebuild! We're actually doing it (the first part, anyway)

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I agree, and all of this is why he gets traded at the TDL. His play could also fall off further as the team tanks through the end of the year and their is less reason for anyone to play hard.

If BA waits, what is Chychrun worth straight up at the draft? 5th pick through 10th pick?
I rather have one of those draft pick then any of the current offers. We finally have a chance to strengthen down the middle and should be one of the priorities. The tank pick should be a center, but not on the expense of bpa. Trade Chychrun to compliment the tank pick and give us that 1,2 @ center.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Blues fans in my main board thread seem fine with Chychrun (no retention) for Scandella, Neighbours, Bolduc and the STL ‘22 1st.

I would do that deal. I’d do that deal tonight.
Heck yeah!

2020 - mid 20's overall
2021 17th OA - Bolduc
2020 26th OA - Neighbours
Scandella's contract & term are reasonable for a cap dump.

Bolduc and Neighbors haven't done anything to hurt their draft grades.

Yes, I'd jump on this.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I rather have one of those draft pick then any of the current offers. We finally have a chance to strengthen down the middle and should be one of the priorities. The tank pick should be a center, but not on the expense of bpa. Trade Chychrun to compliment the tank pick and give us that 1,2 @ center.
The Coyotes should have no worse than 4OA in the upcoming draft with their own pick. One of Wright, Savoie, Cooley and Lambert will be there. That's a 2C at worst, hopefully.

If they do the proposed STL trade and Bolduc is included he has 1C upside.

Then Arizona would still have three late 1sts and five early 2nds. Those could be packaged to move and target another C like Geekie or Kasper...that's another 2C potential.

They'll also be late 1st/2nd C's on the board for the Coyotes.

Not sure going all-in on C's in the best plan, but it's hard to imagine Arizona not coming out of the 2022 draft without significant added depth down the middle.

And don't forget, hopefully we land a 1C in the 2023 draft.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I don't see it being St Louis. How often do division rivals do blockbuster trades with eachother? I'm sure BA wants to send Chychrun east if possible. The team's we've been hearing about the most are all Eastern teams.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
The Coyotes should have no worse than 4OA in the upcoming draft with their own pick. One of Wright, Savoie, Cooley and Lambert will be there. That's a 2C at worst, hopefully.

If they do the proposed STL trade and Bolduc is included he has 1C upside.

Then Arizona would still have three late 1sts and five early 2nds. Those could be packaged to move and target another C like Geekie or Kasper...that's another 2C potential.

They'll also be late 1st/2nd C's on the board for the Coyotes.

Not sure going all-in on C's in the best plan, but it's hard to imagine Arizona not coming out of the 2022 draft without significant added depth down the middle.

And don't forget, hopefully we land a 1C in the 2023 draft.

We desperately need center depth. It's pretty much Hayton and Jenik right now. I can't imagine we can move from pick 28-32 back into the top 12 range to get Geekie or Nazar/Kasper unfortunately. At least not without a Chychrun trade.

However, I'd focus on getting that 1C next year, where there are potentially five of them, two of which could be superstars. If we get the 1st overall that obviously changes. If we get the 2nd pick then I'd like to draft Cooley. Later than 2 and I'm thinking we should go Nemec or Jiricek.

I view this draft as a way to completey overstock the pantry. The upside to the draft is being questioned a little more, but the depth is not. Doing that mock draft, I couldn't believe some of the names you see late in the 1st and well into the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I hope we come out with either Cooley or a Nemec. Then load up on centers or defensemen depending on who we draft with our pick (hell or both we have the picks).
Jack Hughes seems like a must draft.
Moving up for Gauither seems more likely than moving up for Nazar.
Then there are about 5-6 very interesting defensemen who seem clustered around our late 1sts and 2nds we could grab.

Moving Chychrun for more assets or a 1st in that early 20's range really provides complete flexibility, but also adds a gigantic hole in the roster. I don't see any defensemen who have that upside in 2023 (yet) so while im all for BPA it does give a slight lean to Nemec this draft.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
We desperately need center depth. It's pretty much Hayton and Jenik right now. I can't imagine we can move from pick 28-32 back into the top 12 range to get Geekie or Nazar/Kasper unfortunately. At least not without a Chychrun trade.

However, I'd focus on getting that 1C next year, where there are potentially five of them, two of which could be superstars. If we get the 1st overall that obviously changes. If we get the 2nd pick then I'd like to draft Cooley. Later than 2 and I'm thinking we should go Nemec or Jiricek.

I view this draft as a way to completey overstock the pantry. The upside to the draft is being questioned a little more, but the depth is not. Doing that mock draft, I couldn't believe some of the names you see late in the 1st and well into the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I hope we come out with either Cooley or a Nemec. Then load up on centers or defensemen depending on who we draft with our pick (hell or both we have the picks).
Jack Hughes seems like a must draft.
Moving up for Gauither seems more likely than moving up for Nazar.
Then there are about 5-6 very interesting defensemen who seem clustered around our late 1sts and 2nds we could grab.

Moving Chychrun for more assets or a 1st in that early 20's range really provides complete flexibility, but also adds a gigantic hole in the roster. I don't see any defensemen who have that upside in 2023 (yet) so while im all for BPA it does give a slight lean to Nemec this draft.

Lots of late 1st and early 2nd C's to choose from

Bystedt
Hughes
Beck
Lorenz
Poitras
Goyette
Gustafsson
Haight
Ingram

Nowotny

Dec 29, 2021
East Valley,AZ
Lisa Dillman from The Athletic is suggesting a trade with LA Kings for Chychrun involving players like Vilardi,Turcotte,Kupari.Bjornfot. I don't understand why Coyotes would make trade like that.Vilardi has history of severe back problems and has minimal trade value now,Kupari is 21 years old,he played 44 games in NHL and scored 4 goals (we have a plenty of players like that already).He also has a history of significant knee injury.Turcotte may end up being a good player but his (limited) play in NHL was not very inspiring so far.Bjornfot looks like good defensive defenseman but nothing more than that.I know those players are former 1st round picks but that doesn't mean much at this point.Coyotes have 7 picks in first two rounds in 2022 draft and should have no problem finding players like that in the draft.Am I wrong? I would welcome any opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad