Chuck Fletcher & Management Discussion Thread

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Thw Wild were heading towards a finish like this since sometime in Feb. Forgotten when, exactly, but they went from being a team that played freely and easily to a team that only played hard when they had to. In the playoffs, they seemed to have to get behind before they started play with passion. In other words, they needed a kick in the butt for them to get going. Unfortunately for them, STL was good enough defensively to withstand their comeback bids.

My question is...why didn't they play hard all the time? I kept getting assured that Suter would be fine, and was well rested, but he once again looked like a tired old guy when it mattered most, instead of our best player as he had been for most of the season. Dubnyk his saved best for first, and his worst for last, Staal went from being a revelation to a nonentity, former playoff heroes such as Granlund, Nino, and Haula became zeros. I could name many more.

I don't know what the answer is. I fear this group just doesn't "have it". How many more years of playoff failure do we need as evidence?

I don't see how the fans or management can be happy about this year considering the way it ended. This was the year where a raft of players had comeback and breakout years, and the door was wide open for us to get to a SC final, and we failed miserably.

The words of another Minnesotan sum up how I feel about this team..."Is there a hole around here to get sick in?"

I hope that Fletcher feels the same way, and is doing something... God knows what... to fix this.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Looking at Game 5, I don't see that at all. I see more net front presence shots and players who have not shown to particularly strong wrist shots or even slap shots taking your high circle ones. Short of Staal, Coyle and Parise. Which shockingly, 2 of those were the only players that actually had strong offensive series.

The 4th line shot from just outside the circle and most of the D outside of Suter shot from the blue line.

IDK man, doesn't seem like more than half to me.

Than explain how they won the one game where all their shots were from the outside?

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Thw Wild were heading towards a finish like this since sometime in Feb. Forgotten when, exactly, but they went from being a team that played freely and easily to a team that only played hard when they had to. In the playoffs, they seemed to have to get behind before they started play with passion. In other words, they needed a kick in the butt for them to get going. Unfortunately for them, STL was good enough defensively to withstand their comeback bids.

My question is...why didn't they play hard all the time? I kept getting assured that Suter would be fine, and was well rested, but he once again looked like a tired old guy when it mattered most, instead of our best player as he had been for most of the season. Dubnyk his saved best for first, and his worst for last, Staal went from being a revelation to a nonentity, former playoff heroes such as Granlund, Nino, and Haula became zeros. I could name many more.

I don't know what the answer is. I fear this group just doesn't "have it". How many more years of playoff failure do we need as evidence?

I don't see how the fans or management can be happy about this year considering the way it ended. This was the year where a raft of players had comeback and breakout years, and the door was wide open for us to get to a SC final, and we failed miserably.

The words of another Minnesotan sum up how I feel about this team..."Is there a hole around here to get sick in?"

I hope that Fletcher feels the same way, and is doing something... God knows what... to fix this.
Dubnyk had an 800 save percentage no team his winning games with that.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
They are painting an awfully rosy picture...

Looks like we'll have almost the same exact team next season...

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
On the one hand, who knows if he was being truthful or not; it might behoove him to be rosy for season ticket holders and media, and light up the phones with the other GMs. On the other, given his track record, he probably was.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
They are painting an awfully rosy picture...

Looks like we'll have almost the same exact team next season...

not really there is an expansion draft. Also judging a team based on five games is dumb and not rational. All the people Judged him for staying somewhat the same last year and that had the best season in the franchise.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
On the one hand, who knows if he was being truthful or not; it might behoove him to be rosy for season ticket holders and media, and light up the phones with the other GMs. On the other, given his track record, he probably was.

Well he is telling what the stats bare out. If your not into advanced stats your not going to like it if you are your going to agree with him.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
not really there is an expansion draft. Also judging a team based on five games is dumb and not rational. All the people Judged him for staying somewhat the same last year and that had the best season in the franchise.

That will be a sweet banner in the rafters at the X next year!!

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Those saying the exact same roster will be back are kidding themselves. Expansion and the cap won't allow for it. Eriksson Ek will probably be in the NHL. Tuch might be. Kunin could as well.
The core with NMCs and NTCs will be back though. Nothing you can really do about that.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
I could buy the hot goalie thing a little better if it weren't something getting in their way every year.....if only we scored more, if only we let in fewer, if only we had home ice, if only we were bigger......

This group finds a lot of different ways to lose. If a Price or a Rinne rises up and plays like Dryden then yeah, not much you can do. But Jake *** Allen shouldn't be the reason why a hot goalie beats you in 5....with 3 at home.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I could buy the hot goalie thing a little better if it weren't something getting in their way every year.....if only we scored more, if only we let in fewer, if only we had home ice, if only we were bigger......

This group finds a lot of different ways to lose. If a Price or a Rinne rises up and plays like Dryden then yeah, not much you can do. But Jake *** Allen shouldn't be the reason why a hot goalie beats you in 5....with 3 at home.

I don't agree that they outplayed Chicago or Dallas I don't even think they outplayed Saint Louis the year they won. I think it's just a dumb Narrative people that people like to use. But this year it is actually true.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
I don't agree that they outplayed Chicago or Dallas I don't even think they outplayed Saint Louis the year they won. I think it's just a dumb Narrative people that people like to use. But this year it is actually true.

They outplayed Chicago in the series they lost 4-2 IMO

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Exactly. Also, the Wild started playing badly around Feb, and never really snapped out of it. If it wasn't going to be this year, then when will it be? There's always an excuse to lose.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Have people really been using the hot goalie excuse every year? I don't think so. We've typically not scored enough goals but it was more our lack of chances than a hot goalie. This is the first time that I can remember with a goalie like that (JSG obviously but that was looking ago).

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Have people really been using the hot goalie excuse every year? I don't think so. We've typically not scored enough goals but it was more our lack of chances than a hot goalie. This is the first time that I can remember with a goalie like that (JSG obviously but that was looking ago).

Yeah, I'm not sure that's been the narrative... IMO it's always been Toews/Kane leading the charge during our playoff downfalls.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT

I realize that. I was a little fired up listening to him though. I like GMCF, but I hope he's just blowing sunshine to the media and has different plans. I wouldn't advocate for 'wholesale' changes, even that would be difficult considering NMC's. But I think its fair to say this team needs a shakeup.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
We couldn't score on Jose Theodore in 2008. The lame excuse of hot goalie was used that year too. So yes, JSG, Theo and Allen. Maybe not so much with Crawford but it was still suggested by many.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad