Chuck Fletcher & Management Discussion Thread

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I'm not sure I understand the 'Yeo outcoached Boudreau' thing. Really? He told Allen to stop everything and that's outcoaching?

Yeah, I'm not really sure I agree with that either. Winning a series doesn't automatically mean Yeo outcoached Boudreau. Granted, I wouldn't say it's the other way around either, just that I don't think either team really had the coaching advantage in the series.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
I'm not sure I understand the 'Yeo outcoached Boudreau' thing. Really? He told Allen to stop everything and that's outcoaching?

Yeah, I'm not really sure I agree with that either. Winning a series doesn't automatically mean Yeo outcoached Boudreau. Granted, I wouldn't say it's the other way around either, just that I don't think either team really had the coaching advantage in the series.

Before Yeo became the head coach, Allen was floundering so badly he was even sent to minors. You could argue that the Jake Allen we saw in the playoffs is a product of Mike Yeo (and Martin Brodeur). His stifling system allowed Allen to become comfortable in the net and find his game again.

In the series Yeo had a stranglehold on Boudreau and kept squeezing until he was red in the face. Wild never really solved his system until maybe the last game, when it was too little, too late. In the first games even if the Wild vastly outshot the Blues, it was too often one-and-done in the offensive zone. Blues defensemen kept the Wild forwards out of the rebounds. Blues clogged the neutral zone so badly that we barely saw any stretch passes through the middle that were Wild's bread and butter in the regular season. Wild couldn't attack with speed or create on the rush. They were disarmed of their offensive game which was their identity this season.

With that said, would I prefer Yeo as our coach? Hell no. Blues won't win a cup with that playstyle. It's just perfect way to play if you want to upset a superior team in the first round. I also fully expect Yeo-led Blues to hit an epic skid next season. That style of play is so taxing physically and especially mentally and allows so little creativity and freedom to forwards that it's not sustainable over 82 games. Boudreau is a great coach and I'm still happy with him, but his playoff woes are not just bad luck.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Before Yeo became the head coach, Allen was floundering so badly he was even sent to minors. You could argue that the Jake Allen we saw in the playoffs is a product of Mike Yeo (and Martin Brodeur). His stifling system allowed Allen to become comfortable in the net and find his game again.

In the series Yeo had a stranglehold on Boudreau and kept squeezing until he was red in the face. Wild never really solved his system until maybe the last game, when it was too little, too late. In the first games even if the Wild vastly outshot the Blues, it was too often one-and-done in the offensive zone. Blues defensemen kept the Wild forwards out of the rebounds. Blues clogged the neutral zone so badly that we barely saw any stretch passes through the middle that were Wild's bread and butter in the regular season. Wild couldn't attack with speed or create on the rush. They were disarmed of their offensive game which was their identity this season.

With that said, would I prefer Yeo as our coach? Hell no. Blues won't win a cup with that playstyle. It's just perfect way to play if you want to upset a superior team in the first round. I also fully expect Yeo-led Blues to hit an epic skid next season. That style of play is so taxing physically and especially mentally and allows so little creativity and freedom to forwards that it's not sustainable over 82 games. Boudreau is a great coach and I'm still happy with him, but his playoff woes are not just bad luck.
I'm sorry but getting 100 shot attempts against in series and getting outplayed at historic level his not outcoaching. It's called Jake Allen having an not sustainable save percentage.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
I'm sorry but getting 100 shot attempts against in series and getting outplayed at historic level his not outcoaching. It's called Jake Allen having an not sustainable save percentage.

There was a lot of shots, but not many quality chances. When he had to, Allen shined. He was the single biggest factor playerwise, no doubt. But the chances Wild got looked nothing like the quality chances from dangerous areas that Wild routinely achieved when they were playing well.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
there was a lot of shots, but not many quality chances. When he had to, allen shined. He was the single biggest factor playerwise, no doubt. But the chances wild got looked nothing like the quality chances from dangerous areas that wild routinely achieved when they were playing well.

Your right those aren't quality chances at all.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
I think it looks clearly more dangerous for Game 5. Nevertheless, Wild had five tries to crack through and didn't get it done. Wild's offense was stifled.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think it looks clearly more dangerous for Game 5. Nevertheless, Wild had five tries to crack through and didn't get it done. Wild's offense was stifled.

If I had to choose one that looks more dangerous, I'd choose the game on the 16th actually. We still lost 3-1.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013

Ya but there not the first team to have it happen to and there not going to be the last. It's possible for a goalie to steal series.

How come it's so hard for people to get this through there head that the happens in hockey.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The only part of the offense that was stifled was the finish because of Allen, not the chances due to Yeo's system.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Because Game 1 happens in hockey. But you can't have a Game 2 happen. The Wild were in big trouble having lost a game on home ice - as the old saw goes. Then they got half as many shots through, and of not much higher quality. That's brutal, it can't happen. It did happen. That to me is the wound of this season. 60 minutes where you lose all that work. For whatever reason they didn't have the desperation, the adjustments, the will to overcome. Totally just armchair psychology from a fan perspective but Game 2 is a kick in the guts - Jake Allen didn't win that game, the Wild lost it.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
The only part of the offense that was stifled was the finish because of Allen, not the chances due to Yeo's system.

Yeo's system negated Wild's rushes, it suffocated their speed game and made them look slow, it prevented the stretch passes that Wild likes to play under Boudreau. Allen was stellar, but he was helped a lot by Yeo playbook.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Because Game 1 happens in hockey. But you can't have a Game 2 happen. The Wild were in big trouble having lost a game on home ice - as the old saw goes. Then they got half as many shots through, and of not much higher quality. That's brutal, it can't happen. It did happen. That to me is the wound of this season. 60 minutes where you lose all that work. For whatever reason they didn't have the desperation, the adjustments, the will to overcome. Totally just armchair psychology from a fan perspective but Game 2 is a kick in the guts - Jake Allen didn't win that game, the Wild lost it.
Kind of agree with this. Wild took 5 games to figure out and get to Allen. It should have taken 2. That's why they lost.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis

:handclap:

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
a goalie can steal series how hard is that to understand.

I get what you're saying and I would agree. HOWEVER, in this case Allen didn't exactly face high percentage shots. Looking at those shots from Tweeter that everyone is posting, it was very rare that the shots were coming in front of the net, let alone in the slot. A whole lot came from the perimeter. It is the same thing that many claim is the reason Broduer was so damn dominant for as long as he was: he was the perfect goalie for the system that NJ was having the players play in. Same thing as Dubnyk with Yeo when he got here after the deadline. Make the first save and let the defense do the work to get it out.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I get what you're saying and I would agree. HOWEVER, in this case Allen didn't exactly face high percentage shots. Looking at those shots from Tweeter that everyone is posting, it was very rare that the shots were coming in front of the net, let alone in the slot. A whole lot came from the perimeter.

More than half the shots are from the circles on in... those are high percentage shots.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
More than half the shots are from the circles on in... those are high percentage shots.

Looking at Game 5, I don't see that at all. I see more net front presence shots and players who have not shown to particularly strong wrist shots or even slap shots taking your high circle ones. Short of Staal, Coyle and Parise. Which shockingly, 2 of those were the only players that actually had strong offensive series.

The 4th line shot from just outside the circle and most of the D outside of Suter shot from the blue line.

IDK man, doesn't seem like more than half to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad