Christmas Break Report Cards

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The team has thus far exceeded expectations as far as getting the job down and racking up the wins/points. A+! Not a lot of duds/underachievers and don't really disagree with the discussions in this thread. A few thoughts:

Boeser. Enough said.

I think "Pew" Suter deserves a similar grade to Blueger. He kind of held down the fort when Blueger was out and Pew was really coming into his own prior to his injury. He had 4 goals in his last 6 games in November prior to being injured, took a couple of games to get back in the flow, and has 2 goals in his last 3 games. Combined he has 6 goals and 8 points in his last 12 games in the months of November and December. He's been a bit of a jack of all trades and he's won over 52% of his faceoffs. Canucks are getting decent value out of Pew.

Garland's counting stats have been disappointing but can't question his work rate and man the way the JBG line has been playing leading up to the break...

Kuzemko has been underwhelming but I actually didn't think he was playing too badly prior to taking a shot up high.

Petey. I'm not sure if he's dealing with some nagging injuries. It would be nice to see him put together an MVP-calibre season. There's still more than the 2nd half to play.

Management's acquisitions so far have worked out very well. Well done and keep up the good work.

bh53

Sep 18, 2017
Victoria
Factoring cap hit and pre season expectations into these rankings

Aman - C+
Blueger - B+
Boeser - A+ I was hoping for a rebound from Boeser but something more along the lines of 30 goals/ 60 points. Not almost having 30 by the end of the first half.
Di Giuseppe - C+
Garland - C+ Up until this recent stretch I would've given him a D. Hope him and the daKGB line keep it up.
Hoglander - A I was not expecting Hoglander to have played himself into a top 6 role by Christmas. His and Boesers resurgence has been crucial with the lack of offense from Line 1.
Joshua - A I thought he would have a strong season after his play near the end of last season. I'm glad he's improved on it after showing up out of shape.
Kuzmenko - C-
Lafferty - B+
Mikheyev - C+
Miller - A
Pettersson - C+ taken a step backwards from last season. Need him to be the top 5 C he showed to be last season if we wanna make some noise in the playoffs.
Suter - B+

Cole - B- was easily our 3rd best defenseman for the first 20 games or so but has slowed down recently. Hopefully can start load managing him when Soucy comes back
Friedman - B
Hronek - A+
Hughes - A+
Juulsen - B glad he is doing well as of late. Completely fine with having him in and load managing Cole
Myers - C+ has had a decent season. Most thought he was entering healthy scratch territory this season but he has proved otherwise.
Soucy - B haven't seen a whole lot but is a good option with the Giraffe
Zadorov - B ditto

Demko - A
DeSmith - A+ best backup we've had since Demko was backing up Markstrom

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
It’s honestly easier to just focus on the underperformers. Too many guys with A and above grades when the team has massively out performed their expectations.
So Kuzmenko, Myers and maybe PDG get kept after class. The rest get high grades.
He would be brutal in detention.. whispering and giggling... i understand

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Hughes - A+
Boeser - A
Joshua - A
Miller - A
Demko - A
DeSmith - A
Hronek - A
Lafferty - A
Zadorov - A (since acquisition)

Hoglander - B+
Blueger - B+ (would be an A if not for injury)
Mikheyev - B
Pettersson - B
Suter - B
Soucy - B (also higher if not for injury)
Juulsen - B (shockingly)
Cole - B-

Myers - C+
Garland - C+
Friedman - C+
Aman - C+
PDG - C
Kuzmenko - C-

No failing grades. Nobody has been legitimately bad. Beauvillier was probably the worst relative to salary/expectations but he was traded.

Garland makes $5 million.

Joshua makes $800k.

Relative to salary and expectations, Joshua is absolutely blowing it out of the water.

Garland has been great in December but his October-November were awful for a $5 million player expected to put up 40-50 points.
Thats a horrific take on Garland. Jeesus christ.

Reactions: F A N

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I’m giving myself a C-

As a long suffering well deserving fan of our recent resurgence I realize I am becoming quiet annoying to my Toronto, Calgary, New York Ranger and Edmonton friends

I think we all appreciate that our farts don’t smell and the Canucks are now a storied dynasty the likes that nobody had ever seen, but not everybody knows that yet, we gotta bring them along slowly

While I’m at it
Edmonton F
Calgary F
Rangers F
Toronto F-

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I’m giving myself a C-

As a long suffering well deserving fan of our recent resurgence I realize I am becoming quiet annoying to my Toronto, Calgary, New York Ranger and Edmonton friends

I think we all appreciate that our farts don’t smell and the Canucks are now a storied dynasty the likes that nobody had ever seen, but not everybody knows that yet, we gotta bring them along slowly

While I’m at it
Edmonton F
Calgary F
Rangers F
Toronto F-
But what’s your cap hit?

Reactions: I am toxic

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
We're first in the league in points, GF and goal differential.

Everyone gets an A.

If your list has half the roster a B or C while we're first in the league you are completely, 100% out to lunch on expectations.

A+'s to Hughes and Tocchet/the assistant coaches.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
JT-Hughes-Boeser-Dak-Desmith= A

Hronek-EP-Hog-Teddy-Pius-Demko-Zad = B

Garland - Mik-Cole-Myers-Juulssen - C

Coaches-A
Allvin-A
Ruther-A

Fans = F

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Forwards :
Blueger - A
Boeser - A
Di Giuseppe - C
Garland - B- (A lately)
Hoglander - B
Joshua - A
Kuzmenko - C
Lafferty - A-
Mikheyev - C+
Miller - A+
Pettersson - B-
Suter - B

Defencemen
Cole - C+
Friedman - C+
Hronek - B+
Hughes - A+
Juulsen - C (B lately)
Myers - C
Soucy - C+ or B-

Goalies
Demko - B
DeSmith - A

Management
Tocchet - A
Allvin - A

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Damn some you guys are harsh teachers.

A+ for Hronek and A+ for Hughes.

F- James Elmer Benning

Reactions: LordBacon

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Forwards :
Blueger - A
Boeser - A
Di Giuseppe - C
Garland - B- (A lately)
Hoglander - B
Joshua - A
Kuzmenko - C
Lafferty - A-
Mikheyev - C+
Miller - A+
Pettersson - B-
Suter - B

Defencemen
Cole - C+
Friedman - C+
Hronek - B+
Hughes - A+
Juulsen - C (B lately)
Myers - C
Soucy - C+ or B-

Goalies
Demko - B
DeSmith - A

Management
Tocchet - A
Allvin - A
Saved me from having to do my own list. I more or less agree with all these ratings.

In general, people are rating our D too high.

Hughes has been amazing, Hronek has been good offensively (defensively not too impressed with him) and everyone else has been playing at a third-pairing level.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Forwards :
Blueger - A
Boeser - A
Di Giuseppe - C
Garland - B- (A lately)
Hoglander - B
Joshua - A
Kuzmenko - C
Lafferty - A-
Mikheyev - C+
Miller - A+
Pettersson - B-
Suter - B

Defencemen
Cole - C+
Friedman - C+
Hronek - B+
Hughes - A+
Juulsen - C (B lately)
Myers - C
Soucy - C+ or B-

Goalies
Demko - B
DeSmith - A

Management
Tocchet - A
Allvin - A

Pretty much this.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
His December has been an A.

In October-November he was a $5 million player who scored 2 goals in 26 games, was invisible most nights, and regularly playing 12 minutes/game. Would gave been a D.

I don’t think balancing those off into a C+ is unfair.
You are scoring him the same as Myers.

Garland has driven play all year while not getting goals.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You are scoring him the same as Myers.

Garland has driven play all year while not getting goals.

He's a $5 million winger.

In the first 25 games he went 2-5-7. Couldn't fit when tried anywhere in the top-6. Add no intangibles or special teams utility.

'Driving play' from soft minutes in 12 minutes/game while not producing doesn't come close to justifying a $5 million cap hit.

His last month has been great, no argument. But that doesn't somehow make the first 25 games disappear.

If he made $1.5 million I'd probably give him a B+ or something so far. But he doesn't. He's judged against that cap hit.

Myers has generally held his shit together in 2nd pairing minutes. Soucy-Myers and Zadorov-Myers have both been effective pairings but Cole-Myers has struggled. He's had a couple terrible games but overall he's been a solid contributor playing pretty heavy minutes on one of the better ES defensive teams in the NHL.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Crazy we have a GM getting A’s across the board.

Garland gets and “I” - he’s missing 6” of height.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He's a $5 million winger.

In the first 25 games he went 2-5-7. Couldn't fit when tried anywhere in the top-6. Add no intangibles or special teams utility.

'Driving play' from soft minutes in 12 minutes/game while not producing doesn't come close to justifying a $5 million cap hit.

His last month has been great, no argument. But that doesn't somehow make the first 25 games disappear.

If he made $1.5 million I'd probably give him a B+ or something so far. But he doesn't. He's judged against that cap hit.

Myers has generally held his shit together in 2nd pairing minutes. Soucy-Myers and Zadorov-Myers have both been effective pairings but Cole-Myers has struggled. He's had a couple terrible games but overall he's been a solid contributor playing pretty heavy minutes on one of the better ES defensive teams in the NHL.
Agree to disagree.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
That fat piece of shit Benning tricked that other fat piece of shit Aquilini into letting him keep playoff hockey out of town for so long.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
probably the first year in a while where i dont have a single F.
I'm going to go and weight how they are doing compared to my expectations.

A+: Miller, Hughes
A: Hoglander, Demko, Boeser, Hronek, DeSmith
A- or B+: Joshua, Mikheyev, Lafferty, Suter
B: Blueger, Garland, Cole, Myers
B- or C+: Pettersson
C: Friedman, Kuzmenko
C-: Juulsen (who has played at a C+ level the past month), PdG
Not enough info: Soucy,

I really, really tried to grade tough but 2/3rds of the team have been outpunching their weight class all year and deserve their credit. Shouts to Juulsen who really settled down into being a serviceable enough player after he started the year what I expected of him. PdG I expected to have more utility to begin the season, I thought he'd slow down later into December.

Also shouts to Myers who I think has had some unfair criticism levied against him because he is so memeable. He's been really solid this year and so I can live with outrageous gaffes every blue moon like the tape-to-tape in that Tampa game. It really does help him to have the lifeline of throwing it to his partner at more opportunities. I don't know if Foote or Gonch did this, but kudos to them as well. Our defensive corps has been an underrated key and we are doing it with Hughes, Hronek, Cole, Myers, and duct tape.

Reactions: rypper

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I'm going to go and weight how they are doing compared to my expectations.

A+: Miller, Hughes
A: Hoglander, Demko, Boeser, Hronek, DeSmith
A- or B+: Joshua, Mikheyev, Lafferty, Suter
B: Blueger, Garland, Cole, Myers
B- or C+: Pettersson
C: Friedman, Kuzmenko
C-: Juulsen (who has played at a C+ level the past month), PdG
Not enough info: Soucy,

I really, really tried to grade tough but 2/3rds of the team have been outpunching their weight class all year and deserve their credit. Shouts to Juulsen who really settled down into being a serviceable enough player after he started the year what I expected of him. PdG I expected to have more utility to begin the season, I thought he'd slow down later into December.

Also shouts to Myers who I think has had some unfair criticism levied against him because he is so memeable. He's been really solid this year and so I can live with outrageous gaffes every blue moon like the tape-to-tape in that Tampa game. It really does help him to have the lifeline of throwing it to his partner at more opportunities. I don't know if Foote or Gonch did this, but kudos to them as well. Our defensive corps has been an underrated key and we are doing it with Hughes, Hronek, Cole, Myers, and duct tape.
If it's "relative to expectations", shouldn't guys like Juulsen and Friedman get high marks? Were you expecting a lot? :laugh:

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad