Christmas Break Report Cards

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
y'all know the drill, i'm factoring things like acquisition cost, role and cap hit to this.

Aman - I
Blueger - A
Boeser - A
Di Giuseppe - C
Garland - C+
Hoglander - A-
Joshua - A+
Kuzmenko - C
Lafferty - A-
Mikheyev - B
Miller - A
Pettersson - B-
Suter - B-

Cole - C
Friedman - C+
Hronek - B+
Hughes - A+
Juulsen - C
Myers - C-
Soucy - I (probably in the B- range)
Zadorov - I

Demko - A-
DeSmith - A+

Tocchet - A
Allvin - A

probably the first year in a while where i dont have a single F.

Last edited:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
y'all know the drill, i'm factoring things like acquisition cost, role and cap hit to this.

Aman - I
Blueger - A
Boeser - A
Di Giuseppe - C
Garland - C+
Hoglander - A-
Joshua - A+
Kuzmenko - C
Lafferty - A-
Mikheyev - B
Miller - A
Pettersson - B-
Suter - B-

Cole - C
Friedman - C+
Hronek - B+
Hughes - A
Juulsen - C
Myers - C-
Soucy - I (probably in the B- range)
Zadorov - I

Demko - A
DeSmith - A+

Tocchet - A
Allvin - A

probably the first year in a while where i dont have a single F.
The ones I disagree with:

PDG - C - and I was so high on him at the start of the season.
Mikheyev - C+
Friedman - B-
Hughes - A+
Juulsen - B (particularly the last 10 games)
Demko - B
Zadorov - B+

This is based on play vs salary. And expectations.

Edit - Myers - B (once again, based on the last 10 games, and expectation and totally discounting how overpaid he is).

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Relative to my expectations, excl anyone that hasn’t played the majority of our games:

Blueger - A
Boeser - B
Di Giuseppe - C
Garland - B
Hoglander - B
Joshua - A
Kuzmenko - D
Lafferty - A
Mikheyev - B
Miller - A
Pettersson - C
Suter - B

Cole - B
Hronek - A
Hughes - A
Juulsen - B
Myers - B

Demko - B
DeSmith - A

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
us: A-

for going back to the unreasonable expectation that everyone has to be completely league-leadingly awesome always or else f*** them (viz, petey, demko, mikheyev, hughes when he’s occasionally tired from carrying us on his slim tiny shoulders)

missed you guys

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Garland, Juulsen should both get B's

I'd give Boeser a A+ for being second in the league for scoring at break.

Hopefully they are just as strong as a team in the second half of the season. It's been a blast.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Blueger - B+
Brock Boeser - B
Di Giuseppe - C
Garland - B+
Hoglander - B+
Joshua - A
Kuzmenko - D
Lafferty - A
Mikheyev - B
Miller - A
Pettersson - B-
Suter - B

Cole - C+
Hronek - B+
Hughes - A+
Juulsen - B+
Myers - B-

Demko - C+
DeSmith - A-

Man I love this team :yo:

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
A+ Boeser, Joshua, Hughes, DeSmith, Allvin, Tocchet
A Blueger, Miller, Hronek
A -
B+ Hoglander, Lafferty, Suter, Soucy, Zadorov, Demko
B Garland, Mikheyev, Pettersson, Friedman, Juulsen
B-
C+ Aman, Di Giuseppe
C Kuzmenko, Cole, Myers
C-
F

Taking role, expectations, contract, etc into account.

Garland would be higher if not for his contract. With Pettersson, I honestly don't believe his point totals have been reflective of his play. He's several steps behind the 2-way beast he was in the second half of last season and can do much better. The fact that I'd give Juulsen a B despite starting the season as an F is a credit to the Canucks coaching staff. They clearly saw something in him that none of us did. Demko has been great most of the time, but has had some absolute stinkers this season as well.

Allvin and Tocchet's grades are reflective of the team's entire management and coaching staff. I've been especially impressed by the team's pro scouting. Almost everybody brought in has been an excellent fit.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Exceeding expectations and A+ to A- are....
HUGHES BOESER HRONEK MILLER LAFFERTY DeSMITH and JOSHUA. Pretty much about as good as you could hope for and in Hughes case a leading candidate for the Norris trophy and even MVP. Boeser's resurgence has been remarkable. TOCCHET and the coaching staff seem to be coming up aces as well and certainly deserve to be mentioned in this light

PETTERSSON and DEMKO are amongst the leagues best at their positions but have had consistency issues. Still figure that some in that group above will fall off and that these two have the capability of having dominant stretches and that bodes well. Given their capabilities i give them a B

GARLAND MIKHAYEV BLUEGER HOGLANDER have all played very good to excellent hockey B+ to B-. Some consistency issues here and there but all are finding ways to have an impact. Such a revelation to have impact players this deep into the lineup and the 3rd lines play as of late is remarkable.

SUTER after a slow start and injury is coming along nicely. Smart crafty player who i wasn't sure i was gonna like much but he's really versatile and good all over the ice. C+

MYERS has been mostly good in managed ice time but still has his brain farts and then thankfully less than in seasons past demolition mode games. On paper he's pumping out good results. We know he's also had a lot of run support and good fortune to make the numbers bear fruit. COLE has slowed after a really solid start but him and ZADOROV are solid stay at home vets that are big strong smart and reliable. Given the success of the team they are C+ to C

KUZMENKO has struggled to find confidence and a bigger role. Even the PP has been an issue this year after lasts tremendous down low success. If he can just get his defensive positioning and puck decisions a little tighter he will have a big 2nd half. C-

PDG JUULSEN FRIEDMAN have all done a good job providing depth. PDG i give huge credit to hold down a top6 spot and do so much heavy lifting for as long as he did. NHL seasons are marathons and playing above his capabilities had to have a reality check at some point. Juulsen has proven he can be a everyday player which is a huge step for him after looking too slow in process and footspeed for most of his time. .....C

AMEN and SOUCY are incomplete but expect both including PODKOLZIN to be factors before the season is over.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It’s honestly easier to just focus on the underperformers. Too many guys with A and above grades when the team has massively out performed their expectations.
So Kuzmenko, Myers and maybe PDG get kept after class. The rest get high grades.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
I find these some of these grades really odd. Boeser with second highest goals scored in the league rated at a B, and Hughes who at this moment is probably a Norris Front Runner getting an A instead of A+?

Like what more do you want these players to do to get a better grade?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hughes - A+
Boeser - A
Joshua - A
Miller - A
Demko - A
DeSmith - A
Hronek - A
Lafferty - A
Zadorov - A (since acquisition)

Hoglander - B+
Blueger - B+ (would be an A if not for injury)
Mikheyev - B
Pettersson - B
Suter - B
Soucy - B (also higher if not for injury)
Juulsen - B (shockingly)
Cole - B-

Myers - C+
Garland - C+
Friedman - C+
Aman - C+
PDG - C
Kuzmenko - C-

No failing grades. Nobody has been legitimately bad. Beauvillier was probably the worst relative to salary/expectations but he was traded.

Don’t see how you can give Joshua an A+ and Garland a C+.

Garland is driving that line.

Garland makes $5 million.

Joshua makes $800k.

Relative to salary and expectations, Joshua is absolutely blowing it out of the water.

Garland has been great in December but his October-November were awful for a $5 million player expected to put up 40-50 points.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Aman - C+
Blueger - B+
Boeser - A+
Di Giuseppe - C-
Garland - B-
Hoglander - B+
Joshua - B+
Kuzmenko - F
Lafferty - B
Mikheyev - C+
Miller - A+
Pettersson - A-
Suter - B+

Cole - C+
Hronek - A+
Hughes - A+
Juulsen - C
Myers - C+
Zadorov - B+
Soucy - B+
Friedman - C+

Demko - A-
DeSmith - A-

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Hughes - A+
Boeser - A
Joshua - A
Miller - A
Demko - A
DeSmith - A
Hronek - A
Lafferty - A
Zadorov - A (since acquisition)

Hoglander - B+
Blueger - B+ (would be an A if not for injury)
Mikheyev - B
Pettersson - B
Suter - B
Soucy - B (also higher if not for injury)
Juulsen - B (shockingly)
Cole - B-

Myers - C+
Garland - C+
Friedman - C+
Aman - C+
PDG - C
Kuzmenko - C-

No failing grades. Nobody has been legitimately bad. Beauvillier was probably the worst relative to salary/expectations but he was traded.

Garland makes $5 million.

Joshua makes $800k.

Relative to salary and expectations, Joshua is absolutely blowing it out of the water.

Garland has been great in December but his October-November were awful for a $5 million player expected to put up 40-50 points.

This would be my report card as well.

No real dead weight thus far. Some guys who tailed off after strong starts (PDG), and some who came on strong after a cold start (Garland).

Reactions: Soups On and MS

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
hughes is an A+ player playing A+ hockey. one of the best several players in the league. A+

demko is an A+ player playing, if we average out the year so far, A- hockey. so A overall.

miller is an A player playing A hockey. A

petey is an A+ player playing B+ hockey. A/A-

B+ to boeser, hronek, and soucy when he was in the lineup

B to lafferty, desmith, bluegers, suter, and zaddy so far

B- to hoglander, joshua, garland, who all have played some B+/A- hockey of late but also have played their share of D hockey, especially the latter two. mikheyev, kuz, and cole all deserve a B- too, and i could go down to a B-/C+ on any of them. also aman so far is a solid B-

C for PDG

D+ for juulsen

D for myers

Last edited:

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Aman - I - Just haven't seen him enough to judge, the one player I just don't have an opinion about.
Blueger - A - Pretty shocking this guy was logging 10 minutes/night with the Knights during their Cup run, because he's such a huge asset to our PK and forecheck. Absolutely must have if we're to have any post-season goals.
Boeser - A+ - His hands are back, he's stronger on his feet, he's putting on work on his own end and he's piling it up. I thought he may have been washed at the start of the season but what a turn around.
Di Giuseppe - C - Had a great start to the season with some Burrows-like performances but has played himself into the press box. Has room to do better but the roster is becoming increasingly solidified; at this point he's competing with Kuz for a spot and if you're expecting ineffectual performances from both you at least put the guy who can score. Never expected much but I hope he hasn't given his all yet.
Garland - B+- Earlier in the season you wondered whether all his buzzing would actually yield results, and he's been paid in spades over the past few weeks. Helping carrying the team when we need the depth to come through and proving to be one of our best 200ft players.
Hoglander - D - OK, Hogs is the guy I think I'm way misaligned with the rest of the boards. People see him do a ferocious forecheck and creates chaos around the net which we all love, but then the puck goes the other way and he has 0 idea who to cover or even what part of the ice he should be defending. In a lot of goals against with him on the ice you wonder WTF #21 is doing. So to me there's no surprise he's in Tocchet's doghouse, he simply struggles to play defense and he's arguably been the worst forward at it.
Joshua - A+ - What can you say, he's breaking out. Huge presence along the boards and around the net, and getting rewarded as of late. He's due a big payday and it's fine if it won't be with us, he deserves it.
Kuzmenko - C- - Kuz has been hard to judge for sure. Not a lack of effort I don't think, but his decisions with the puck can often be very questionable - lots of overpassing and trying to do one more move than needed. Not sure if he deserved his benching but he can definitely do better, and with his attitude I think he will.
Mikheyev - B- - Expected Mik to be more of a driver but he's done just fine being a complimentary player. Not much to say other than nice job and bagging a fair amount of goals.
Miller - A+ - May have slowed down a little in December but for the first two months he was the engine up front willing the team to victory over and over. Has evolved not just into one of the league's best scorer but established himself as an absolute menace all over the ice. You forget that as recent as last season he was the kind of guy to randomly have pouty performances trying to 1v9 the game.
Pettersson - B- - One game he's wowing and dazzling as you'd except, other games he's fighting the puck and falling over the slightest breeze. Very hot-and-cold performance so far. You still want to ride Petey all the way but he really needs to figure out how to be more consistent even if it means less ripping from the slot or dangling through the opposing team.
Suter - B - Not a guy who you notice much, but the few times you do he's doing something good. I'm sure he's popular with Tocchet.

Cole - C+ - Definitely has faded as the season drags on, but still providing serviceable hockey.
Friedman - C+ - Didn't expect much out of him but he's able to log decent minutes when he's in the lineup. But hasn't made a case to be more than a #7.
Hronek - A- - We wondered whether there'd be a problem with Hughes being partnered with someone who also wants the puck, but Hronek has the kinds of skills and instincts that lets him be just a bit looser. Could be better with the body but otherwise also able to provide good defense while being an important piece of the puzzle.
Hughes - A+ - Every time I go watch the Canucks at Rogers Arena, there's at least one person near me in the stands who will fawn over the way Hughes skates and reads the play. Still so young and yet already the best defenseman this franchise has seen, by far, and is out there giving a Hart-worthy performance.
Juulsen - C- - Shades of Andrew Alberts, just consistently a bit too slow and feels like he's often an exploitable weakness. Been steadier over the past few weeks with simpler plays however, could be the Tocchet effect.
Myers - C - Absolutely catastrophic first 6 weeks of the season but has calmed down somewhat and even has showed some of the long missing upside when paired with Zadarov.
Soucy - I - Come back soon!
Zadorov - I - Looked very solid so far and shown little of what Flames fans warned us about so far, and even made Myers look better.

Demko - B - Some ups and downs but generally solid and having quite a few great performances.
DeSmith - A - Well above expectations as a backup, gives us a chance to win every night he plays.

Tocchet - A - Goes without saying some players have made it to the next level under his wing, while he's been able to coach good team defense.
Allvin - A+ - Some questions marks early in his tenure, but I don't know of a GM who's gotten the most done while committing the least over this year. This team was in cap hell with few assets to work with many gaping holes and Allvin has somehow managed to steadily improve the team without compromising the good pieces, all while having a clear plan to avoid blowing past the salary cap. Let him cook, let him cook.

Reactions: vanuck

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
I remember making a thread like this on CDC back when I was a kid during the 2006 season. I gave Linden an A+ with the explanation, "Because he is Linden"

And people got mad at me lol

• Haha
Reactions: vanuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad