Waived: Christian Wolanin (LD) & Jack Studnicka (RW) - Both Cleared

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Is your STR high enough to carry your stuff? Maybe you should consider Strong Back and/or Packed Rat perks.

Or just give your shit to Sulik and let him lug them around.

Loaded everything into the trunk of my Highwayman! Luckily there were no random map encounters on the way here.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Loaded everything into the trunk of my Highwayman! Luckily there were no random map encounters on the way here.

Glad to hear. Definitely stay off the detours to wards south. I got a little lost and ran into these huge ass 8 feet tall dudes wearing black armors and shit.

• Wow
Reactions: Play and Vector

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
It allows them to have 3 ELCs on the roster so if they claim multiple players they can immediately send them down and add those players.

my confused cap accounting leaves me unsure why they brought hirose up.

cap friendly says right now they are $692.917 over the cap using all of poolman's ltir

with aman, studnicka and wolanin currently on the roster but heading down, that will drop $2,312,500 of salary tomorrow.

so that will give them $1,619,583 in available ltir

but hirose being called up scoops $787,500 of that.

so, by my math, they will have $832,083 in unused ltir after these two moves.

this is not enough to bring podz up that i can see. also not enough to claim dylan coughlin at $850k. best they could do is call up bains to get within $16k of full ltir utilization.

however, they could get closer than this by calling up raty and irwin instead of hirose.

now if they put brisebois on season opening injured reserve then available ltir will increase by maybe $400,000 or so depending on how many days brisebois was on the big team roster last year. but this relief is very temporary and i don't see anyway to use it to maximize ltir.

Reactions: Indiana and Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

cap friendly says right now they are $692.917 over the cap using all of poolman's ltir

with aman, studnicka and wolanin currently on the roster but heading down, that will drop $2,312,500 of salary tomorrow.

this is not enough to bring podz up that i can see. also not enough to claim dylan coughlin at $850k. best they could do is call up bains to get within $16k of full ltir utilization.

however, they could get closer than this by calling up raty and irwin instead of hirose.

now if they put brisebois on season opening injured reserve then available ltir will increase by maybe $400,000 or so depending on how many days brisebois was on the big team roster last year. but this relief is very temporary and i don't see anyway to use it to maximize ltir.

Honestly, it's kind of all voodoo. If they have a deal in the works or are expecting to claim someone, then it further changes how it all fits together. We know that it's fairly simple of them to roster a 23-man team for opening night, it's just who are those men going to be.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Wolanin I don't get at all. But if it means bringing Hirose back, I'm okay with it.

While I don't particularly care if Studnicka is in the organization or not, I'm always amused by how he sometimes kind of plays like a pretty ineffective dying man's Ryan Kesler.

It's like every foray into the offensive zone he made, you can hear his internal monologue going "I'm gonna do it! I'm gonna take all of you on all by myse--- Oh, crap."

Last edited:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

Sorry, but I am assuming your $832,083 in cap space is based on a 21 or 22 man roster. Or am I missing something.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Sorry, but I am assuming your $832,083 in cap space is based on a 21 or 22 man roster. Or am I missing something.

it's ltir space based on current capfriendly roster (23) minus aman, studnicka and wolanin (20), plus hirose (21). so then you call up the guy in the minors who can get you closest to. the 832k in ltir space to end up with a 22 man roster that maximizes ltir use for opening roster purposes.

then, most likely, they send that guy and hirose down and shuffle the roster, and end up with a 22 man roster with slightly more ltir wiggle room but not enough to add a 23rd player.

i don't see how they can field a 23 man roster this year without more ltir or a trade that sheds cap.

worth noting that a few days ago we were noting they had enough ltir to add someone earning about $400k over league minimum on a 22 man roster. they just did exactly that by adding lafferty.

most of their moves today look like they are finished and just prepping for ltir utilization. the one anomoly is hirose does not seem like the right salary to call up to maximize ltir usage, but that could be my bad math or a player they are going to acquire making just under $832k.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I think the Canucks are going to maneuver to win the cap space Olympics again to start the season which will explain their moves so far and any upcoming moves.

• Haha
Reactions: Nick Lang

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Is your STR high enough to carry your stuff? Maybe you should consider Strong Back and/or Packed Rat perks.

Or just give your shit to Sulik and let him lug them around.
1696811526250.png

Reactions: arttk and Vector

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Really disappointed they’re keeping Brisebois over Wolanin by the looks of it.

It’s keeping a safe, ineffective player over a guy who actually is effective but might not tick the ‘fundamentals’ boxes in the same way to a coach.

We are going Travis Green MS. Come ob now.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Let's face it, Wolanin didn't have a very strong training camp, and was nowhere near as good as he was for the Canucks in the last 15 games a season ago. I suppose this shouldn't be too surprising.

Up until last year's breakthrough year in Abbotsford, Wolanin was basically a career minor leaguer And it's really hard to judge a guy based on 'garbage time' in an NHL schedule.

Studnicka surprises me a little. He's had a strong camp, and I thought they might reward him with 10 games or so at the start of the season.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Let's face it, Wolanin didn't have a very strong training camp, and was nowhere near as good as he was for the Canucks in the last 15 games a season ago. I suppose this shouldn't be too surprising.

Up until last year's breakthrough year in Abbotsford, Wolanin was basically a career minor leaguer And it's really hard to judge a guy based on 'garbage time' in an NHL schedule.

Studnicka surprises me a little. He's had a strong camp, and I thought they might reward him with 10 games or so at the start of the season.
agreed. but at least he is on a one way contract, so he gets paid either way. Good for him. Hope he has a money manager, because this might very well be his last kick at the can.

Reactions: Indiana

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
After the season he had last year, I'd think some team would give Wolanin a shot.
Agreed. They are trying to sneak him through (like many other teams are trying to do with their players at this time....I do recall we managed to sneak Jacob Markstrom through quite a few years ago) though my guess is he gets picked up and we lose a decent player with a good salary....so we can have another ex Pittsburgh guy.

Reactions: Indiana

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Silly, they are on waiver for a reason
Eh I don’t agree with this logic. Other teams may have better depth than the Canucks (a player they waive would still be an upgrade to our roster), or they have poor talent assessment, or the player would benefit from a change of scenery (Tolvanen). Players being claimed off waivers and succeeding is definitely the exception to the rule, but it’s a pretty low risk move to take.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Eh I don’t agree with this logic. Other teams may have better depth than the Canucks (a player they waive would still be an upgrade to our roster), or they have poor talent assessment, or the player would benefit from a change of scenery (Tolvanen). Players being claimed off waivers and succeeding is definitely the exception to the rule, but it’s a pretty low risk move to take.
Tolvanen is like hitting a lottery, a lot of lucks involved

I still stand that no D on the waiver today is better than Wolanin

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad