Waived: Christian Wolanin (LD) & Jack Studnicka (RW) - Both Cleared

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Really disappointed they’re keeping Brisebois over Wolanin by the looks of it.

It’s keeping a safe, ineffective player over a guy who actually is effective but might not tick the ‘fundamentals’ boxes in the same way to a coach.
brisebois may be injured.

in which case he can't be waived.

Reactions: Vector

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
but i am not sure why they needed to waive either of brisebois or wolanin to call up hirose. it does not look like hirose made the team based on his limited psg opportunities. the $12,500 in extra ltir utilization is not a reason to risk losing wolanin. that leaves some other cap advantage, or else just wanting wolanin to be through waivers to allow roster flexibility .

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
but i am not sure why they needed to waive either of brisebois or wolanin to call up hirose. it does not look like hirose made the team based on his limited psg opportunities. the $12,500 in extra ltir utilization is not a reason to risk losing wolanin. that leaves some other cap advantage, or else just wanting wolanin to be through waivers to allow roster flexibility .

It allows them to have 3 ELCs on the roster so if they claim multiple players they can immediately send them down and add those players.

moiderer

Jul 28, 2021
Vancouver
Obvious the RD depth is dire, but the LD isn't particularly inspiring either with Soucy out.

Liked Wolanin who brought some spark, but I agree it's tough to trust him in the situations we'd probably need him (PK, in-zone D) vs. Brisebois. Though it's hard to say Brisebois is an NHL regular either so it's a risky yet conservative choice.

Really feel bad for Studnicka. Thought he really brought something to camp; hopefully, another team gives him a chance to play in the NHL.

With Hirose I assume it's cap shenanigans.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Brisebois is on a two-way contract this season so he should be eligible for Season Opening Injured Reserve. I don't remember the formula but his cap hit can be reduced.
good point, it is annual salary prorated by number of days on nhl roster last year.

might conceivably allow them to call up one more player to improve ltir maximization but more likely they do not put him on reserve for a short term injury, but they also can't waive him.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Studnicka was just such an odd target.

He was in an organization that has done well to scout talent, develop them and play them to their strengths...And he was given multiple auditions and looks but never really had the toolset to be a fixture in the top 6 or ability to play a bottom 6 style of game in the NHL.

Then, for some reason, we traded a RD for him...why?

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
To be fair if Studnicka clears he's exactly the type of player you want the kids in the AHL to rub shoulders with. A hard worker who knows how to keep his feet moving and his body in NHL shape. It sucks that his hard work didn't get him an NHL job to start the season and I don't think he was bad, but a guy like Lafferty is a clear upgrade.

Wolanin, he'll be back up at some point but his defense isn't up to par with his offense and puck moving. If you can't trust your depth to step in and play low-event minutes when they're dressed it's hard to see why they should make the team.

Aman sent down
They basically just openly admit thya “we have no players in the system that can play regularly”
Oof

I would read nothing into recalls and assignments until after Monday, a lot of these moves between the NHL club and the farm are going to be to maximize LTIR usage.

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010

Aman sent down
They basically just openly admit thya “we have no players in the system that can play regularly”
Oof

Alternately, Aman's ELC means that they can have somebody in Abbotsford that they know they can call up/send down without needing to worry about waivers, giving them more dependable depth for the season.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
To be fair if Studnicka clears he's exactly the type of player you want the kids in the AHL to rub shoulders with. A hard worker who knows how to keep his feet moving and his body in NHL shape. It sucks that his hard work didn't get him an NHL job to start the season and I don't think he was bad, but a guy like Lafferty is a clear upgrade.

Wolanin, he'll be back up at some point but his defense isn't up to par with his offense and puck moving. If you can't trust your depth to step in and play low-event minutes when they're dressed it's hard to see why they should make the team.

I would read nothing into recalls and assignments until after Monday, a lot of these moves between the NHL club and the farm are going to be to maximize LTIR usage.
True, my bad

Reactions: Indiana

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I can't help but hold out hope that, especially given the Hirose recall, this whole thing is just about cap accounting. Trying to maximize their space or some other such thing. Especially if their hands are a little bit tied with IR guys.

If that's not what this is, and Wolanin, Studnicka, and Aman all "lost out" on NHL jobs to some of these other guys...i really don't know what to say. Just completely toss out any illusion of "earning" roster spots. :laugh:

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I can't help but hold out hope that, especially given the Hirose recall, this whole thing is just about cap accounting. Trying to maximize their space or some other such thing. Especially if their hands are a little bit tied with IR guys.

If that's not what this is, and Wolanin, Studnicka, and Aman all "lost out" on NHL jobs to some of these other guys...i really don't know what to say. Just completely toss out any illusion of "earning" roster spots. :laugh:
Or, you can look at it as these player's having done their best and still falling short. Given the state of the team, we should be hoping to bring in upgrades for all of Studnicka, Aman, Joshua, Wolanin, Brisebois, etc. not being mad because the "right" depth player isn't watching games from the pressbox.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Posters might be right....demoting Aman, Studnicka and Wolanin and recalling Hirose, might be just a case of salary cap gymnastics. Aman and Studnicka have had strong training camps and deserved to stick.

With Soucy out 'week to week' it's hard to believe that Canucks wouldn't be working the phones for blueline help. Still thing there's a good possibility of them moving one of their 'big salaried' forwards.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Obvious the RD depth is dire, but the LD isn't particularly inspiring either with Soucy out.

Liked Wolanin who brought some spark, but I agree it's tough to trust him in the situations we'd probably need him (PK, in-zone D) vs. Brisebois. Though it's hard to say Brisebois is an NHL regular either so it's a risky yet conservative choice.

Really feel bad for Studnicka. Thought he really brought something to camp; hopefully, another team gives him a chance to play in the NHL.

Next time he's up he needs to wear penguins PJs and make sure managed/coaching see him. Maybe use a Sidney Crosby case on his phone. Shaving his head would also help.

With Hirose I assume it's cap shenanigans.

Mystery of life in the overcomplicated cap world.

Reactions: biturbo19

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Posters might be right....demoting Aman, Studnicka and Wolanin and recalling Hirose, might be just a case of salary cap gymnastics. Aman and Studnicka have had strong training camps and deserved to stick.

It's a gamble of you want them on the team as they might be claimed. They are marginal value but far from unclaimable.

Reactions: biturbo19

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Studnicka was just such an odd target.

He was in an organization that has done well to scout talent, develop them and play them to their strengths...And he was given multiple auditions and looks but never really had the toolset to be a fixture in the top 6 or ability to play a bottom 6 style of game in the NHL.

Then, for some reason, we traded a RD for him...why?
it seems like bottom six speed is a high priority.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The thing with only papering Aman, there’s no reason to do it today and hold him out of practice.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
On my phone and packing for an overnighter at my parents’ too.

Is your STR high enough to carry your stuff? Maybe you should consider Strong Back and/or Packed Rat perks.

Or just give your shit to Sulik and let him lug them around.

Reactions: Vector

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad