Traded Christian Wolanin (D)

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Worthless opinion from a Habs fan.

Does this mean he becomes UFA at the end of the season? Wolanin seems like a player who actually has some value after clearing waivers, because he needs a long stint in the AHL. Nobody was going to claim him for an NHL spot without the ability to send him down.

Reactions: OD99

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I guess some are still trying to discredit management and defend their own bold evaluation on the player.... I would have thought most would distance themselves after the entire league took a pass.

It’s odd to “credit” management for their evaluation considering they drafted Wolanin, developed him in the system for 4 years, and gave him a 1-way NHL contract this season. But whatever floats your boat!

Sometimes things just don’t work out. Wolanin missed his biggest opportunity due to injury, and that sucks, but it’s probably best to move on. He’ll probably go the Wideman route and play in Europe next year over the AHL.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I don’t get your point Dave. I think the Sens always knew where his game was. Some fans got really excited about his skating two years ago but he was always a weak defender. The Sens have better options with Chabot and Brann.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I don’t get your point Dave. I think the Sens always knew where his game was. Some fans got really excited about his skating two years ago but he was always a weak defender. The Sens have better options with Chabot and Brann.

If they did they would have moved on earlier, not re-signed him.

There’s no doubt they liked his abilities and thought he could become a good player here. They didn’t keep him here thinking he would never hack it.

It didn’t work out, which is the case with most young players. It’ll happen again. Many of the players we’re excited about today will work out like Wolanin. Maybe JBD. Maybe Kleven. We’ll see. Nobody knows right now.

This isn’t a “vindication” of management or an “indictment” of fans.

And it’s not like fans thought he was a Norris winner. They just wanted him to play over Gudbranson and Coburn, two players who would, almost assuredly, also clear waivers.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
That injury,really stunted his progress...He should sign with us again on a two way deal and try and reconstruct his game ,with some of the talent we have coming into the AHL soon it could help

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I could live to be 100 and I'll never understand why there are people who seem to want players to fail just because it will boost their ego. "SEE I TOLD YOU HE WASNT AN NHLer!!! IM AMAZING" gtfo

pretty much. tis what tis in the wonderful world we live in. Lot of people shaking their heads on the angle of the Garrioch piece which is an odd way to deliver news from the org on a player they had hopes for , had terrible luck injury, and has struggled coming back from that inside this marginal d corps , if that's what he's doing , or if its his personal opinion (ya ok) .. its even more odd. Of course there are the blessed few that .. respond in the glory be to me I was right manner, or even defend Garrioch's put the screws in article.

Reactions: Tighthead

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
If they did they would have moved on earlier, not re-signed him.

There’s no doubt they liked his abilities and thought he could become a good player here. They didn’t keep him here thinking he would never hack it.

It didn’t work out, which is the case with most young players. It’ll happen again. Many of the players we’re excited about today will work out like Wolanin. Maybe JBD. Maybe Kleven. We’ll see. Nobody knows right now.

This isn’t a “vindication” of management or an “indictment” of fans.

And it’s not like fans thought he was a Norris winner. They just wanted him to play over Gudbranson and Coburn, two players who would, almost assuredly, also clear waivers.

Signing a player to a 2 way 2 year deal (one way in year two) isn’t a huge step. He deserved a guaranteed shot at league min for a season to see if he could become a regular NHL player.

This board is full of over zealous expectations beyond him playing over Gud or whoever. Either way, Gud is better than Wolanin anyway.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Signing a player to a 2 way 2 year deal (one way in year two) isn’t a huge step. He deserved a guaranteed shot at league min for a season to see if he could become a regular NHL player.

This board is full of over zealous expectations beyond him playing over Gud or whoever. Either way, Gud is way better than Wolanin anyway.

Of course there’s a bunch of overzealous expectations on this board.

This team traded all of their established NHLers and have a bunch of unproven young players and prospects, players fans have barely seen play.

People thought Wolanin would become a second pair PP quarterback. It didn’t happen.

It’s no different than people pencilling JBD in as Chabot’s partner. If that doesn’t work out, and the odds are against it, and the org decides to move on from him in 3 years, will the fans have been wrong and the org right?

You’re taking an odd position here. Of course Senators fans think the young players the Senators draft and develop should play and hope they do well.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Oh, Debbie

Is there anything weirder than that ‘fan’ writer who takes joy in seeing the organization fail because they support players unconditionally and it means they can throw it in the face of fans who support said organization?

A sports fan cheering for and supporting the players instead of the 50 year old men in suits sitting in the luxury boxes!? Stop the presses!!!

I know I see countless of Dorion Sens jerseys at games.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

Does this mean he becomes UFA at the end of the season? Wolanin seems like a player who actually has some value after clearing waivers, because he needs a long stint in the AHL. Nobody was going to claim him for an NHL spot without the ability to send him down.
Hey not sure about your board rules but coming here with common sense is frowned upon by many.

Seriously though he has to play in quite a few more games to retain RFA status and it appears Ottawa prefers lumbering oafs who can't handle a puck or complete a pass over him so he will be a UFA end of season.

Completely agree on the last part and the teams absolute refusal to let him play in the A or the NHL must be one of those super insightful, NHL level manager decisions that only the elite on this board are able to see.

He needs to play and be in a position to let his skills shine with a defender that can compliment those skills.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Of course there’s a bunch of overzealous expectations on this board.

People thought Wolanin would become a second pair PP quarterback. It didn’t happen.

That was my point Dave ... not sure why you chose to circle around it. Enjoy the day !

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Idk, you getting pissy every time he has a tweet posted is pretty damn sad too
Some of the posters in here are like the minions who complimented the fabled king in the emperor with no clothes fable.

Reactions: cudi

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Some of the posters in here are like the minions who complimented the fabled king in the emperor with no clothes fable.

BREAKING NEWS:

People have different opinions!! OMG right?!?!?

Same people who bitch about 'cancel culture' are the same ones who get pissy at posts and tweets they dislike. Make it make sense.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I could live to be 100 and I'll never understand why there are people who seem to want players to fail just because it will boost their ego. "SEE I TOLD YOU HE WASNT AN NHLer!!! IM AMAZING" gtfo
Sounds like a ton of posters on these boards, especially so called prospect experts

I see so many people wishing certain players will fail so they can criticize the team for bringing them in. Gudbranson was that guy before he even hit the ice

Reactions: The Expert

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
There is less than a zero percent chance he would re sign here.
Maybe,you are right ...But at least we should make the offer,help him try and salvage his career...Wolanin can still be a decent NHLer he just needs time to refigure stuff out

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Maybe,you are right ...But at least we should make the offer,help him try and salvage his career...Wolanin can still be a decent NHLer he just needs time to refigure stuff out

He is probably looking at $90G in the AHL ... he may look for 3-4x that overseas.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
So why not state some more facts like..."Wolanin clears waivers because no other G.M in the league wanted him probably because he does not belong in the NHL".

Mike Hoffman and Nick Paul cleared waivers too. There's so many players who played in the NHL before and after clearing waivers. It doesn't mean the player won't be back. It's up to Wolanin to work his ass off if he really wants it. Seeing his career path before his injury, everything was really going well. He doesn't have to look further than that. Just didn't really get an opportunity to get his groove back. He needs to play a lot. Probably is going to be traded for another "reclamation project" or non-established player

Personally, I am a big fan of the sport and NHL players in general. I want them to succeed. That doesn't mean I want coaches and other executives to fail. In an ideal world, I'd want everyone working for my favorite team to succeed.

Weird concept, eh?

I think several teams will be interested to bring him in their organization next season but yeah a bit complicated right now with covid season and trade deadline approaching

Could be trade for later pick (like Jaros was) or another guy in a similar situation (trying to establish himself in the NHL)

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
This should make a couple of the Wolanin haters happy.

Were you aware that if you cleared waivers that 30 teams took a pass.. Garrioch made a point of making sure we knew that. To be fair maybe he just found that out. Certainly reads like a hatchet job to me. Especially ending it off with if Wolanin battles his way back to the NHL.. it won't be with the Senators.

Nicely done all around

Bruce the bootlicker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad