Traded Christian Wolanin (D)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well it's not like Wolanin is some young kid. At 26 he is as close to a finished product you are going to get.
I think missing a season to injury means you need actual icetime to find your game. Pageau looked like crap for a season after his injury. Same thng

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I was convinced like many , under Boucher, that he was going to be a Top 4. Truly sad and I wish him the best...irrevocable waivers means what exactly? He isn't going to Belleville if he clears?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

I don't know that he was ever on the path to becoming a top 4 defensemen. He showed some nice offensive upside for sure, though his defensive game always left you wanting more. It was under developed in his first taste in the NHL and unfortunately he never had a chance to really develop it due to that injury.

The biggest factor in this decision is likely Brannstrom.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Wolanin on waivers

Yes! Hopefully he gets claimed. There must be some teams that scouted him in the NCAA and AHL, or even in his first NHL stretch. Sure, a significant injury and covid since but looking at how LITTLE he has played since 2019, that's someone I'd take a flyer on. A bit complicated in a shortened season during a pandemic though. Hard to audition guys without 82 games adn with the quarantine, etc

If the Sens feel they can part with guys like Balcers, Chlapik, Jaros and Wolanin (soon Brannstrom and Brown?), they must feel very confident with what they have in terms of current assets. That kinda puts more expectations on the team I'd say. Can they finish the season near 0.500 this year? Playoffs next year?

In the end, I think it's a matter of culture and type of players/team they are trying to build. Guys like Chlapik, Wolanin and Balcers don't fit. Maybe Duclair didn't

No way he's been worse than Gudbranson, Brown or Coburn, but obviously they play different roles.

Brannstrom better be recalled to replace Wolanin on the bottom pair or else we'll get back to playing Coburn with Gudbranson or Brown and getting hemmed in every play.

Problem for him is that he's not physical but I take him without thinking before Gudbranson, Brown or Coburn I always prefer guys who can skate, pass and shoot. Reilly and Zaitsev haven't been great but not bad considering they have to be #2 and #3 on an NHL squad.

All that being said, we still only have 2 "building blocks" on defense (Chabot/Zub). We kinda hoped Brannstrom and/or Wolanin would join that group this season. Thankfully, Zub has been a success and with the way he plays, I can't see him completely bust next season. Always possible but would be very very surprised.

I have a hard time seeing Brannstrom make it under DJ Smith... Curious to see how they'll manage this asset. Because by the way, every player is an ASSET. You draft them, spent time and ressources developping them. You need a return on investment.

Fingers crossed that Sanderson, JBD and Kleven will be as good as we hope, and soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emrasie

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

17-18 was playing UND
18-19 was playing in Belleville and NHL 1 year out of college
19- 20 injured for the year
20-21 not a prospect

Did absolutely everything you'd want from a 4th round pick and more. Was pretty good in NCAA and AHL, and very promising in the NHL first stint too. Obviously the injury + covid hurt him a lot but hasn't played enough games and minutes to get his groove back. If Wolanin was 2 years younger he'd still be considered a prospect.

If he doesn't get claimed, should play a lot for the B-Sens, which would be good for him. But frankly I hope he gets claimed and ends up a situation that'll be good for him.

Funny how Wolanin can improve but Mike Reilly can’t. Interesting.

One major difference :

Mike Reilly 237 NHL Games, Christian Wolanin 58 NHL Games

Reilly has been a bit more steady lately, but it took him over 200 NHL games for that.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Show me the stats .. that are relatable here ... I am interested .. For now I will just assume this is your belief that even given his specific circumstances that he is a finished product as you say. I do not believe you can prove that statistically.
And you are just spouting a contrary opinion. No facts just opinion.
As for my opinion it's based on some analysis; so here you go:
A New Look at Aging Curves for NHL Skaters (part 1)

How do NHL players age? When do they peak? How quickly do they decline? Questions about player aging in the NHL have been debated for years, and an incredible amount of research has already been done trying to answer these questions. Within the past 3 years, however, it seems a general consensus has been reached. Rob Vollman summarizes this quite well in his book Stat Shot: The Ultimate Guide to Hockey Analytics: “Most players hit their peak age by age 24 or 25 then decline gradually until age 30, at which point their performance can begin to tumble more noticeably with the risk of absolute collapse by age 34 or 35.

war-basic-chart.png

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

How do NHL players age? When do they peak? How quickly do they decline? Questions about player aging in the NHL have been debated for years, and an incredible amount of research has already been done trying to answer these questions. Within the past 3 years, however, it seems a general consensus has been reached. Rob Vollman summarizes this quite well in his book Stat Shot: The Ultimate Guide to Hockey Analytics: “Most players hit their peak age by age 24 or 25 then decline gradually until age 30, at which point their performance can begin to tumble more noticeably with the risk of absolute collapse by age 34 or 35.

war-basic-chart.png

That's nothing new.. it doesn't tell me about Wolanin missing as much as he did not being able to improve.. Its a general age curve .. does not prove your point on Wolanin

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
That's nothing new.. it doesn't tell me about Wolanin missing as much as he did not being able to improve.. Its a general age curve .. does not prove your point on Wolanin
you wanted stats I gave you stats. you gave me your opinion. That's fine. I'll just go on the record that I don't think Wolanin will turn into a significantly better defenseman in the next 2-3 years.

Edit: just to show that Dmen performance drops off faster than forwards.

overall-war-f_d.png

Reactions: Sweatred

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

war-basic-chart.png

Zedeno Chara must be the exception to the rule, still going strong at 44 yrs old & Shea Weber is 35 yrs old so we should be looking for his absolute collapse soon as well as these guys..... Ovechkin's 34, Parise is 34, Brent Burns is 35, Paveleski is 35, M.A. Fleury is 35, Bergeron is 34, Giordano is 36, Stashny is 34, Jeff Carter is 35, Corey Perry is 35, Getzlaf is 35 ...

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
you wanted stats I gave you stats. you gave me your opinion. That's fine. I'll just go on the record that I don't think Wolanin will turn into a significantly better defenseman in the next 2-3 years.

Well that's better than " At 26 he is as close to a finished product you are going to get" ... I am just saying given his specific circumstances .. he could could get better. Can he improve enough between this year and half of next year to get another crack , maybe.. I'll say definitely not looking at a finished product.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Zedeno Chara must be the exception to the rule, still going strong at 44 yrs old & Shea Weber is 35 yrs old so we should be looking for his absolute collapse soon as well as these guys..... Ovechkin's 34, Parise is 34, Brent Burns is 35, Paveleski is 35, M.A. Fleury is 35, Bergeron is 34, Giordano is 36, Stashny is 34, Jeff Carter is 35, Corey Perry is 35, Getzlaf is 35 ...

Sorry but I believe you don't understand the argument:
Yes they can all play but the question was and is: Are they as good now as in their peak years. In almost every case the answer is no.

Reactions: Sweatred

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Well that's better than " At 26 he is as close to a finished product you are going to get" ... I am just saying given his specific circumstances .. he could could get better. Can he improve enough between this year and half of next year to get another crack , maybe.. I'll say definitely not looking at a finished product.
I agree that he could get better and given his circumstances that might happen. But the odds are he probably won't.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Wolanin’s strength and skating just aren’t the same. He was dashing down the ice two years ago and could somewhat hold his own. This year he looks like at 18 year old with the amount of battles he has lost. His skating looks diminished and ineffective not sure if injury related.

Poor guy. He was hands down our best defender in his rookie season in AHL and was putting up 35 point nhl rookie point pace. He also had like an end to end rush a game in the last few he had.

Just isn’t the same after the injury and 2 year layoff. He could maybe rekindle his game elsewhere with more minutes and more patience.

Reactions: Pronto and Emrasie

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

These guys all have something in common that Wolainin doesn’t have....

I mean it sounds like you’re listing an All Star Game roster.

Every single time a marginal player is let go the same peeps lose their minds. In a few months years, when nothing comes of it they’ll simply pretend they weren’t completely wrong again, and move on to the next done wrong ‘prospect’.

Classic.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I can’t work up any energy for Wolanin.
I’m saving it for Brannstrom who IMO is better in every single way, with far more upside.

just don’t really see anything in his game that makes me think we should be careful here. He’s likely going to pass through waivers, he makes very little money...he just isn’t someone anyone needs. Soft, not especially quick or fast, IMO he makes lots of poor decisions, and his positioning doesn’t seem anything to write home about.

Reactions: coladin

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I agree, Belleville is what he needs to regain form and confidence. Caught out of position a couple of times last night where forwards got behind him, passes aren’t crisp, having trouble breaking the cycle. Not the Wolanin pre-injury. I hope he gets back, even if with another team eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad