Player Discussion Christian Folin

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib 3h3 hours ago
Prosser out too as Folin looks like he has won the 6th D spot at least initially to start the season #mnwild

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :handclap:

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib 3h3 hours ago
Prosser out too as Folin looks like he has won the 6th D spot at least initially to start the season #mnwild

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :handclap:

That makes me happy. Not in that I dislike Prosser (he's fine, for what he is) but in that a younger guy is stepping up. If enough of them do that this year, watch out, we've got a chance.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
After a rough stretch...

He'll be back. With an even more impressive beard, no doubt.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Never saw a whole lot from him at the NHL level. I have hope for him still. Maybe this will be good for him to get some top pairing minutes again.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
solid D & a little toughness is the most you should expect from a #6 or #7 Dman. i think folin does his job well for the price we pay him. i do hope reilly & olofsson step up next year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Folin has looked OK so far. Seems to have better balance, and isn't scrambling as much.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Has he been scratched a couple games?

What u guys think of him long term?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Has he been scratched a couple games?

What u guys think of him long term?

He was scratched the first game of the season, but has played every game since. He's looked largely very good, and assuming he doesn't nose dive probably doesn't need to worry to much about getting scratched the rest of the season (maybe the occasional one to make sure Prosser is still alive).

Long term, he's still got top 4 upside, and I think there is a decent chance he becomes a solid 4. Who knows if it will be with the Wild due to our depth at the position, but his play has made me alot more confident about losing Brodin or Scandella via expansion.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
He really has a hard shot, the few times he's unleashed it.

He seems like a great bottom pair guy with some potential to move up.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
He's looked good so far. Really not opposed to having him on the ice in any situation.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's looked good so far. Really not opposed to having him on the ice in any situation.

Well, he's still not much for breakout passes. He's more of a bang it out on the boards type guy. What has improved a lot is his skating. He is able to keep up with the game...doesn't fall down and get crossed up anymore. He should give Dumba the name of his trainers.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Well, he's still not much for breakout passes. He's more of a bang it out on the boards type guy. What has improved a lot is his skating. He is able to keep up with the game...doesn't fall down and get crossed up anymore. He should give Dumba the name of his trainers.

There is always room to improve. :nod:

But he's miles ahead of Prosser for the #6D (original slotting). The way he's playing he'd be a second pair on a lot of teams. Can't complain too much about a guy most of us thought was a fringe NHLer this year.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
There is always room to improve. :nod:

But he's miles ahead of Prosser for the #6D (original slotting). The way he's playing he'd be a second pair on a lot of teams. Can't complain too much about a guy most of us thought was a fringe NHLer this year.

Agreed. He seems to pair well with Brodin. Folin was always strong, but wasn't able to make it work well for him because his feet would betray him. Now he looks much more rooted and solid on the ice. He'll never be a figure skater out there, but he's looking far less clumsy. Next thing for him to work on is his luck skills, so he can handle the puck better in small areas, which will allow him to create better passing angles. Will also allow him to get in better positions to get that shot of his off.

Still don't see him as anything more than a bottom pairing guy, but we are awash in good Dmen.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
3rd game in a row he's been a healthy scratch...

Prosser is a safer bet with Reilly out there. Folin/Reilly was shaky, Prosser got a chance and has settled the pair down some.

Folin hasn't looked the same since his injury.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I agree, I'd honestly rather play Prosser. Never been a huge Folin fan, and he definitely has not been the same since the injury.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I agree, I'd honestly rather play Prosser. Never been a huge Folin fan, and he definitely has not been the same since the injury.

Maybe i'm on an island here, but I think Prosser has been downright bad last few games. Directly responsible for a number odd man breaks by due to bad pinches or letting a forward slip behind him at the blueline.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Maybe i'm on an island here, but I think Prosser has been downright bad last few games. Directly responsible for a number odd man breaks by due to bad pinches or letting a forward slip behind him at the blueline.

Yeah, I saw that. Last night he made a pinch at the center Red line to jump a pass( that he missed). Problem was, he was the last man back and there was a STL player at our Blue line. I've forgotten what happened...I think they got a breakaway? Anyway, the pojnt is that not only is he limited athletically and skills wise, but his judgement isn't the greatest. With his skillset, or lack thereof, you want him to be play smart.

He's ok as a 6/7, and is paid accordingly.

I'm more worried about the lack of judgement shown by Dumba and Reilly. It's one thing having to adjust to the speed and power of the NHL game. It's another to have the brain to process it all. I'm beginning to doubt that Dumba has it, and Reilly seems to have a similar blindness.

Dmen have to be smarter and better than the other players. There are only 2 of them, and three of the bad guys. A team can't afford to be playing Dmen who make stupid plays out there. They don't have to go out there and work like dogs as the forwards do. They have to be more cerebral.

Anyway, I hope Folin gets his mojo back. I thought he and Brodin made a passable pair back there.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN

I've missed a bunch of the past two games, so perhaps you're right. I haven't noticed him a bunch lately (when he actually plays), which I would consider to be a good thing. I've just seen so many defensive lapses by Dumba, Scandella, and Reilly lately that maybe I'm just forgetting him. We really need Brodin back.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

I can only think of 2 oddman rushes from last night: Scandella/Dumba on Tarasenko's goal, and a bad line change. I did kind of zone out in the 3rd when they were up 5-1.

Early in the game the announcer kept calling Prosser Pominville. Similar numbers, not regular Wild game announcers, I kind of get it.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I think it was in the first, Prosser did a really dumb move at the offensive blue line to try and hold a puck in and the Blues went on a 2 on 1 the other way (I think Duby made a really nice save on Berglund). Think Prosser was also on the ice for the Upshall breakaway.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
It's disappointing because, before his injury, Folin was playing like a 2nd pairing defenseman... On the level of Scandella I'd say.

Both have been shaky recently, which is concerning with Brodin out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad