Confirmed with Link: Christian Fischer signs 2-year deal

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Even Garland was slowing by the end of the year as he received more 'coaching' and was encouraged to play within the 'system'.

If you watch Dallas, they play the same style but they don't just give the puck away. They actually hang onto it and try to pass it around. The Coyotes just mindlessly bang shit off the boards or dump it in with no forecheck. If it's not off the rush or a turnover, nothing is happening.

Tocchet makes Tippett look like a tactical luminary.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Even Garland was slowing by the end of the year as he received more 'coaching' and was encouraged to play within the 'system'.

If you watch Dallas, they play the same style but they don't just give the puck away. They actually hang onto it and try to pass it around. The Coyotes just mindlessly bang shit off the boards or dump it in with no forecheck. If it's not off the rush or a turnover, nothing is happening.

Tocchet makes Tippett look like a tactical luminary.
Playing "fast" for Tocchet means playing "rushed" or "unthinking". It's okay to make dumb choices with the puck as long as you make them quickly. It's really no mystery why OEL can't seem to get along here. He's the antithesis of this kind of stupidity.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If there is one thing I've learned from following European football over the years, nothing turns supporters against a manager faster than both losing AND playing entirely "unattractive" <insert sport>...
It's actually one level worst than that. It's not only bad but it's ugly but it is ALSO unspirited. At least those awful Tippett teams that were both bad and ugly were at least scrappy and worked hard. This is bad, ugly, and indifferent. The 2020 Coyotes were extremely difficult to cheer for. Not only did they lose 17 of 28 games and have the 5th worst record in the NHL in that span but they were bottom 10 in hits, takeaways, and blocks. They looked like they just wanted to lay down and die. Just like that Avs series. They wanted to be anywhere but there.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
It's actually one level worst than that. It's not only bad but it's ugly but it is ALSO unspirited. At least those awful Tippett teams that were both bad and ugly were at least scrappy and worked hard. This is bad, ugly, and indifferent. The 2020 Coyotes were extremely difficult to cheer for. Not only did they lose 17 of 28 games and have the 5th worst record in the NHL in that span but they were bottom 10 in hits, takeaways, and blocks. They looked like they just wanted to lay down and die. Just like that Avs series. They wanted to be anywhere but there.
Oh I agree...I cant recall another time in 40+ years of avidly following sports where I've ever heard a HC make statements so clearly indicative of having lost the team as some of RT's post-game interviews, and somehow hold on to their position. It's uniquely shocking, imo...

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You’re joking but Taylor Hall was a 1.00 points per game player (81pts per season average) with New Jersey - which has never been viewed as a particularly talented team during that time. He gets to Arizona and is a 0.75ppg player (61pts per season average). This is the Rick Tocchet-effect.

Max Domi averaged 53pts per 82gp under Tippett. He averaged 63pts per 82gp in Montreal. For Tocchet? 45. So just like Taylor Hall, Max Domi experienced a TWENTY FIVE PERCENT drop in production under Tocchet.

In the three years prior to playing for Tocchet, Derek Stepan led ALL New York Rangers in points per 82 in that span with 61. He was their most productive forward. His three years under Tocchet? He’s averaged 43 points per 82 games played. That’s a THIRTY PERCENT drop in production.

In parts of two seasons under Tocchet, Dylan Strome averaged 30pts per 82gp. Since the trade, he's average 63pts/82gp with Chicago. No big deal. He just became TWICE as productive is all. Haha.

Well, how about Schmaltz? It's not all bad, afterall. In the season and a half before the trade, he averaged 51pts per 82gp. In the season and a half under Tocchet? 56. So that's basically just a wash. And we aren't alone in the "about even" category.

Duclair’s is much less dramatic. It’s roughly the same in all games away from him vs all games under him. It’s all in the 35-40/82 range. It’s kinda the same in the Panik situation. In the season and a half before the trade he put up half a point per game. In the season and a half under Tocchet that following he dropped only by a few percentage points. Roughly the same.
Don't forget Stepan and Panik were on the 1st. PP .

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017

The Avs-series was the worst I've ever seen. It seemed like the Avs had the puck every second, and also locked in a deadly attack. Coyotes was unable to calm it down even just a little bit. Horrible. And when I say, worst I've ever seen: It was like watching Norway vs Russia: why are these two teams in the same tournament? But, it was worse. Worse. Norway plays with game-plan and effort. Yotes didn't seem to have any game-plan, apart from Kuemper, and gave up whenever Kuemper didn't play like a god. Entirely.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If there is one thing I've learned from following European football over the years, nothing turns supporters against a manager faster than both losing AND playing entirely "unattractive" <insert sport>...

I'm fine with unattractive. Dallas and Columbus do not play attractive hockey in the slightest, but they are gutsy and efficient. A lot of times Coyotes players are not even looking around the ice to make a play, they just instinctively slap at it up the boards, trying to get it through multiple defenders. It's like they're being told "just get it in their end asap!" without any thought behind it. There are no transition plays, they're all variations of chip dump-ins. Guys are not encouraged to skate with the puck, so they get obliterated by teams that can like the Avalanche.

It's not really a wonder that adding skilled guys like Kessel, Hall, and a healthy Schmaltz did not change the offense much at all - it does not utilize or consider the strengths of skill players at all. The whole entire reason you trade for a guy like Hall is to have him skate with the puck at the defense to draw guys to him, make a play, or get a penalty called.

There are no set plays in the offensive zone either, and most of the time they have no idea what they are doing if they even manage sustained pressure. I'm sure private tracking has to have the Coyotes as the worst or one of the worst teams in total offensive zone time.

"just go get more grit" is not going to solve this. They fundamentally do not know where to be on the ice or how to play around other teams. All they know is to move the puck up the ice the Coyote way aka be dumb and inefficient, let the game come to you, focus on turnovers.

I'm pretty sure this tactical incompetence (on top of being asked to skate 24/7 to make this even have a chance in hell of working) is what caused Tocchet to lose the room.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I'm fine with unattractive. Dallas and Columbus do not play attractive hockey in the slightest, but they are gutsy and efficient. A lot of times Coyotes players are not even looking around the ice to make a play, they just instinctively slap at it up the boards, trying to get it through multiple defenders. It's like they're being told "just get it in their end asap!" without any thought behind it. There are no transition plays, they're all variations of chip dump-ins. Guys are not encouraged to skate with the puck, so they get obliterated by teams that can like the Avalanche.

It's not really a wonder that adding skilled guys like Kessel, Hall, and a healthy Schmaltz did not change the offense much at all - it does not utilize or consider the strengths of skill players at all. The whole entire reason you trade for a guy like Hall is to have him skate with the puck at the defense to draw guys to him, make a play, or get a penalty called.

There are no set plays in the offensive zone either, and most of the time they have no idea what they are doing if they even manage sustained pressure. I'm sure private tracking has to have the Coyotes as the worst or one of the worst teams in total offensive zone time.

"just go get more grit" is not going to solve this. They fundamentally do not know where to be on the ice or how to play around other teams. All they know is to move the puck up the ice the Coyote way aka be dumb and inefficient, let the game come to you, focus on turnovers.

I'm pretty sure this tactical incompetence (on top of being asked to skate 24/7 to make this even have a chance in hell of working) is what caused Tocchet to lose the room.
Agreed...supporters are much more tolerant of "unattractive" styles of play (ie. turtling) if the team is winning. Hell, F40 was 75% "but we're IN FIRST!" in December 2019, despite the other 25% bemoaning the cynical approach on-ice, the inevitable "coming home to roost" of clear tactical missteps or outright omissions, and the shocking weakness of the rest of the Western Conference. Tunes sure changed when the same "ugly hockey" was accompanied by shambolic results vs the Avs, however...

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia

This is so spot on for the autopsy of the offensive scheme. I would add that because of the non-existence of time spent doing offense, there is so much more pressure on the defense to never slip up, and yet because they have to defend so much more often, the defensive numbers take a hit. I'm of the impression that the defense is not actually that bad, but rather just has to play it so much more than most every other team that their raw totals surrendered have gone up making the team defense look poorer on many defensive team metrics.

Additionally, surely playing this way is detrimental to team morale. I think some of the criticisms of team leadership directly stem from playing in such an inept system. How draining it must be to hop over the boards to go chase down pucks on the majority of your shifts.

I would reckon that when a minimally adequate offensive scheme is implemented, the overall team's play will rise significantly, not just because of an increase in offense, but also at that point they will have reduced time playing defense allowing those players the rest needed to defend more soundly. Furthermore, because of a lack of offensive scheme, for all we know, we have players that can finish better than we thought, yet they never get to show that off, so that skill in a player has been discounted, potentially all the reason for drastic upticks when the team makes a trade.

Oh, and finally to tie this all back into Fischer, it wouldn't surprise me if he could take a huge step forward offensively were he to be moved elsewhere. It'd be the same old story where other coaches love to get former Coyotes because they come in so defensively responsible. I hope this can all be remedied before more trades are done without getting to see our guys ever play real offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad