Confirmed with Link: Christian Fischer signs 2-year deal

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It's not worth worrying about because it's such a small deal, but I'd rather we had just released him and tried something new.

Don't know why he deserved multiple years either.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He’s pretty “solid”, I guess. In that he doesn’t make mistakes, and always makes the safe play. He never really does anything is all. He’s a huge guy and looks like he has a ton of physics power at his disposal. But he just never uses it to do anything and it’s frustrating to watch. How can a guy who’s built like he’s built be such a quiet player on the ice?

Reactions: Jakey53

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
He’s pretty “solid”, I guess. In that he doesn’t make mistakes, and always makes the safe play. He never really does anything is all. He’s a huge guy and looks like he has a ton of physics power at his disposal. But he just never uses it to do anything and it’s frustrating to watch. How can a guy who’s built like he’s built be such a quiet player on the ice?

Rick Tocchet

Fish first year he went to the net, stick on the ice and potted quite a few goals. Fish then looks to adjust his game, probably at the wish of the coaching staff, and his game tanks

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
A hit these days is almost any contact that separates a player from the puck. That said, he's done okay defensively, he's just become much less assertive and more passive -- like the entire roster...

rt

May 13, 2004
A hit these days is almost any contact that separates a player from the puck. That said, he's done okay defensively, he's just become much less assertive and more passive -- like the entire roster...
This is so true. So I mean, when his whole deal was the same thing that seems to disappear on our roster, it makes sense it’s worse for him, because there’s less to him beyond that.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Next season I'm going to really focus on watching him. He had 140 hits last year he has to be doing something out there. :laugh:

He had the same amount of ES goals as Kessel despite getting 300 minutes (literally 30%) less ice time. He's in the bottom 5th percentile for ozone starts and 90+ for TOI vs elite competition. He came out of it +2 to Phil's -21. The only forward that saw harder minutes was Richardson.

Fischer is not Shane Doan. The sooner everyone accepts that, the happier everyone will be. He's a great 4RW to have that can play up the lineup. His current role precludes him from scoring much which is on his coach. Like most 23 yo players making a million or less, he isn't the problem.

I hate how soft he is as much as everyone else, but most bottom 6 guys are flawed in some way. His flaw is that he's gentle. Crouse is the exact same way but recognizes more than Fischer that fighting is a part of the job and adds value, so he does it occasionally.

rt

May 13, 2004
He had the same amount of ES goals as Kessel despite getting 300 minutes (literally 30%) less ice time. He's in the bottom 5th percentile for ozone starts and 90+ for TOI vs elite competition. He came out of it +2 to Phil's -21. The only forward that saw harder minutes was Richardson.

Fischer is not Shane Doan. The sooner everyone accepts that, the happier everyone will be. He's a great 4RW to have that can play up the lineup. His current role precludes him from scoring much which is on his coach. Like most 23 yo players making a million or less, he isn't the problem.

I hate how soft he is as much as everyone else, but most bottom 6 guys are flawed in some way. His flaw is that he's gentle. Crouse is the exact same way but recognizes more than Fischer that fighting is a part of the job and adds value, so he does it occasionally.
Why compare him to Kessel? That’s a really low bar to clear. Kessel was obviously the worst player on a pretty bad team.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Why compare him to Kessel? That’s a really low bar to clear. Kessel was obviously the worst player on a pretty bad team.

Perspective.

$1m vs $6.8m
617 mins vs 1200 mins total (2nd on the team)
2nd hardest minutes vs the easiest
Same amount of ES goals, Phil had a whopping 9 more ES points to show for his TOI and usage.

I think people understand Kessel was 'bad' or 'had a bad year' by his standards but I don't think they recognize how much of a boat anchor he is in every respect 5v5. You could give those 900 minutes to Pitlick and come out ahead.

rt

May 13, 2004
Perspective.

$1m vs $6.8m
617 mins vs 1200 mins total (2nd on the team)
2nd hardest minutes vs the easiest
Same amount of ES goals, Phil had a whopping 9 more ES points to show for his TOI and usage.

I think people understand Kessel was 'bad' or 'had a bad year' by his standards but I don't think they recognize how much of a boat anchor he is in every respect 5v5. You could give those 900 minutes to Pitlick and come out ahead.
I agree. But it seems much more a point about Kessel than Fischer. From a production relative to cap-hit Perspective, Kessel might have been the worst winger in the NHL with more than 25 games played last season.

Fischer is certainly not one of the worst value wingers in the entire league. But that doesn’t mean he provides much value. The nicest thing you can say about him is that he doesn’t actively harm the team while on the ice. I feel like that’s a plane that can be cleared at any cap hit.

Brad Richardson just got a 1yr 1mil deal with Nashville. I prefer him as 4LW to Fischer as 4RW. Jayce Hawryluk just got a 2 way deal. I like him better as a 4th line winger too. There are half a dozen guys that were available for roughly the same price that I like better.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I agree. But it seems much more a point about Kessel than Fischer. From a production relative to cap-hit Perspective, Kessel might have been the worst winger in the NHL with more than 25 games played last season.

Fischer is certainly not one of the worst value wingers in the entire league. But that doesn’t mean he provides much value. The nicest thing you can say about him is that he doesn’t actively harm the team while on the ice. I feel like that’s a plane that can be cleared at any cap hit.

Brad Richardson just got a 1yr 1mil deal with Nashville. I prefer him as 4LW to Fischer as 4RW. Jayce Hawryluk just got a 2 way deal. I like him better as a 4th line winger too. There are half a dozen guys that were available for roughly the same price that I like better.
It's saying Fischer produced minorly while getting unfavorable usage, but was responsible enough to negate the opposition decently. Considering his age and size, along with the recent signings, it's possible the plan for him is to start giving him more favorable offensive starts which the stats may be alluding to him being able to cash in more easily than other similar looking players. It's a low enough risk to go with Fischer over Richardson considering what expectations are this year. If Fischer stagnates whatever, but if he becomes anything else it's a win.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Hawryluk has only managed to get half the minutes of Fischer the last two years, none of them as hard as what Fischer has dealt with on a defense first team. It's fine to say you 'like' him more but that would have to be based on who he was as a junior player because there's no objective evidence to support it otherwise. I'm not really interested in talking in circles about subjective measures.

I would have liked to have had both on the roster. I can see why they went with Hunt instead.

Fischer has legs left, as opposed to Richardson. He had the better on ice numbers and got the same money. All good things come to an end. I would love to carry Richardson as the extra forward instead of Hayden, but we can't all get what we want. Fischer playing shitty minutes frees up Pitlick to do his thing.

I can see why they ended up where they are at and I don't really have a problem with anything. The logic is pretty clear. It's just a shame Kessel is going to continually undermine the stronger 5v5 play they've managed to accrue.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

rt

May 13, 2004
Hawryluk has only managed to get half the minutes of Fischer the last two years, none of them as hard as what Fischer has dealt with on a defense first team. It's fine to say you 'like' him more but that would have to be based on who he was as a junior player because there's no objective evidence to support it otherwise. I'm not really interested in talking in circles about subjective measures.

I would have liked to have had both on the roster. I can see why they went with Hunt instead.

Fischer has legs left, as opposed to Richardson. He had the better on ice numbers and got the same money. All good things come to an end. I would love to carry Richardson as the extra forward instead of Hayden, but we can't all get what we want. Fischer playing shitty minutes frees up Pitlick to do his thing.

I can see why they ended up where they are at and I don't really have a problem with anything. The logic is pretty clear. It's just a shame Kessel is going to continually undermine the stronger 5v5 play they've managed to accrue.
Subjectivity is 75% of the equation in hockey, beyond the box score. The quality of on ice event matters to the extreme as opposed to baseball, which is much easier to track quantitatively. Hockey is an extremely qualitative sport when it comes to scouting and always will be. Moneyball is almost entirely irrelevant.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Subjectivity is 75% of the equation in hockey, beyond the box score. The quality of on ice event matters to the extreme as opposed to baseball, which is much easier to track quantitatively. Hockey is an extremely qualitative sport when it comes to scouting and always will be. Moneyball is almost entirely irrelevant.

Yet it's suddenly relevant when it works in your favor like with Kahun. Funny how that works.

rt

May 13, 2004
Yet it's suddenly relevant when it works in your favor like with Kahun. Funny how that works.
Hmmm...I thought it was the opposite of what you are saying now. I thought I was talking about demonstrable puck skills that could be seen with eyeballs and you were saying that his CoRasiWar5/60Gware\Rel/82\gp/Shft/AdV/%%% was not good.

I do find all of that stuff very interesting and I do like when you cite it. That’s no BS. But I think it’s a small factor in the overall equation. But for someone like me who’s not a scout and who’s eyeball test is highly suspect and often very revisionist, the metrics are very helpful.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hmmm...I thought it was the opposite of what you are saying now. I thought I was talking about demonstrable puck skills that could be seen with eyeballs and you were saying that his CoRasiWar5/60Gware\Rel/82\gp/Shft/AdV/%%% was not good.

I said Kahun is an analytical darling due to his usage and that he is unlikely to enjoy the same things here for a variety of reasons. You have to nerf guys due to the Tocchet factor. It's like a healthy crowbar whack to the knees for every forward that comes through the door.

If there's someone out there qualified to qualitatively/subjectively grade NHL Hawryluk it's not you or me. The sample size just isn't there. They went with five other guys instead of him. He ended up taking a two way. If they wanted this player, they probably could have had him.

Looking at the numbers, I see how they arrived to where they are and it gives me more confidence in the guys at the helm than I had going into FA. Pitlick and Larsson are also analytical darlings - the respective narratives about their play are supported by their underlying numbers. Hunt has been good in this regard with what sample size there is. Someone is paying attention.

I think it bodes well for the future if they can combine smart buys with good evaluations of the person.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Don't mind it. He's being paid what he's worth. We could have done worse. I know some might get hung up on his draft position and pedigree, but at the end of the day, we retained a solid defensive forward. I don't think he'll ever live up to the expectations had about him by being drafted 32OA but he could have gotten a comparable contract on another team so I'd rather just keep our own. It's not the kind of signing that is going to make a huge difference on the team. With a coaching change we could turn him into a mean, nasty guy to play against, but I don't think that's going to happen with Tocchet as our HC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad