Christian Ehroff

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
I admit I didn't watch him in buffalo. But if he was playing lights out they wouldn't have bought out his contract. I literally can't recall a shift where I went wow he's a darn good defenseman. Scuderi has been better thus far. There I said it...

Scuderi has been sheltered like a rookie while Ehrhoff play the toughest minutes.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Scuderi has been sheltered like a rookie while Ehrhoff play the toughest minutes.

Erhroff is nice, but really a luxury. Despres plays just as solid of a game and costs nearly three million less. If we are going to resign one of Martin or Erhroff, I really hope it is Martin.

If we didn't have Letang, I think it would make sense to put him on the PP, but judging by his play this year he flubs the puck just as much.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
Erhroff is nice, but really a luxury. Despres plays just as solid of a game and costs nearly three million less. If we are going to resign one of Martin or Erhroff, I really hope it is Martin.

If we didn't have Letang, I think it would make sense to put him on the PP, but judging by his play this year he flubs the puck just as much.

Oh I didn't want to make a case for resigning Ehrhoff. I just wanted to provide a little context to the discussion before we declare Scuderi to be better than him.
Generally, I'm not worried at all about the Hoff. Lots of season left to play. I just wish people would understand the circumstances of his buyout.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Oh I didn't want to make a case for resigning Ehrhoff. I just wanted to provide a little context to the discussion before we declare Scuderi to be better than him.
Generally, I'm not worried at all about the Hoff. Lots of season left to play. I just wish people would understand the circumstances of his buyout.

German Bias.

He's looked good in spurts, honestly tonight was the best he looked with the puck. I bet part of it is adjusting to a team that is actually playing to its ability every night, rather than a team like the Sabres where half the roster is just sitting around collecting cash.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I think you need to give a new player about 20 games to show what he can do.

Saying that Ehrhoff first 14 games have been disappointing, his stats didn't look bad coming into tonight, but the eye test looks completely different then the stats show.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
No matter what this will be my take on Ehrhoff now and until he's gone: He is basically Gonchar lite. When you don't put him on the first PP this is what you get. He needs to do a better job of just playing smart defense, but what he brings to a hockey team is being minimized here right or wrong.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Ehrhoff hasn't fit in as well as I expected but we probably need to keep in mind that it can take time to adjust. Gonchar was awful for half a season when he first got here and then it all turned around for him.

Gonchar was at least getting the PP time back then though. The Pens seem to have little interest in Ehrhoff on the PP, which kind of makes the signing a bit strange since the PP is probably his strength. I don't think he's some great PP QB. I've always viewed Ehrhoff as more of a trigger guy on the PP but he's still more of a weapon at that part of the game than any other. We haven't really used him to his strengths so far.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
It's very early. I want him on the powerplay ASAP. I also think he'd be better with Despres rather than Bort. I wasn't expecting him to come in and dominate defensively, I was expecting him to get put in the position to score and set up offense. He's done well at the first until tonight, the 2nd should come with opportunity.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
It's very early. I want him on the powerplay ASAP. I also think he'd be better with Despres rather than Bort. I wasn't expecting him to come in and dominate defensively, I was expecting him to get put in the position to score and set up offense. He's done well at the first until tonight, the 2nd should come with opportunity.
Why, though?? He has done NOTHING offensively all year long. N O T H I N G. He´s averaging 2 mins of PP time and has one random PP assist. His shot is non-existent. There is nothing that justifies putting him on our top PP, because his offensive confidence is at zero right now. I don´t know why. Yeah, he hasn´t been put in the position to fire up offensively but he had enough time to show at least SOMETHING!!

I could live with some occasional defensive mistakes, those were expected and it´s not even too bad in this area, tbh. His offensive non-existence is absolutely shocking to me, though and I just can´t tolerate it. He´s basically at Scuderi´s level right now :shakehead

If he doesn´t turn things around, then it´s an easy "GOODBYE" call to him. Ehrhoff is one of the biggest minuses of our young season so far, for sure.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Of the 7 d-men we've seen so far, Ehrhoff has been the worst.

Ehrhoff hasn't been great this year, but he sealed the deal tonight. And if this news about Martin wanting to re-sign is true, then Ehrhoff is the guy I trade this season.

Martin's worst play has been about Ehrhoff's best play this year, and Ehrhoff has never played as well as PM. So the decision between Ehrhoff and Martin is now very easy.

And even if we can't lock in either PM or CE, I have no problem going with moving one now, and going all young next year. It's worth the risk. But if PM will sign a 4 year deal (not longer) at the same money he's making now (not more, or BARELY more at most), I sign PM. That means we could trade Ehrhoff now, and then Martin in about 1-2 years. Now THAT would be good asset management.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Pretty sure Ehroff has a full NMC. Trading him would mean he would have to waive it. Martin is a lot more movable.

TheHoff

Apr 11, 2007
I wonder why some people are not able to get the fact that the only reason Letang has those awesome point totals is that he's on the first PP unit with Crosby and Malkin. He hasn't done anything on that unit, but caused two (or three?) SH goals against.

And you guys do realize that Hoff is playing mostly with the 3rd and 4th unit, gets a lot of d-zone starts and plays against the toughest opposition? Do you even watch the games?

Michael8771*

What people need to understand here is if the cap does not go up, we cannot afford either Martin or Ehrhoff. It's really that simple. And with the other players we have in the fold, I'm fine with that. If we have any designs of upgrading our top two lines these guys can't be here.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I wonder why some people are not able to get the fact that the only reason Letang has those awesome point totals is that he's on the first PP unit with Crosby and Malkin. He hasn't done anything on that unit, but caused two (or three?) SH goals against.

And you guys do realize that Hoff is playing mostly with the 3rd and 4th unit, gets a lot of d-zone starts and plays against the toughest opposition? Do you even watch the games?

Soooo you come in here and think you know the pulse of how we react regarding Hoff. That is impressive. Pretty much 80% of us want to see him on the powerplay over Letang. We realize Letang makes as many crazy awesome plays as he does dumb. We get that.

Now just regarding his general play - he's been terrible for what was expected. As in - it was a complete wasted signing if he stays at this pace. Luckily we are like 15% in to the season and not 100%. So far - so bad.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Why, though?? He has done NOTHING offensively all year long. N O T H I N G. He´s averaging 2 mins of PP time and has one random PP assist. His shot is non-existent. There is nothing that justifies putting him on our top PP, because his offensive confidence is at zero right now. I don´t know why. Yeah, he hasn´t been put in the position to fire up offensively but he had enough time to show at least SOMETHING!!

I could live with some occasional defensive mistakes, those were expected and it´s not even too bad in this area, tbh. His offensive non-existence is absolutely shocking to me, though and I just can´t tolerate it. He´s basically at Scuderi´s level right now :shakehead

If he doesn´t turn things around, then it´s an easy "GOODBYE" call to him. Ehrhoff is one of the biggest minuses of our young season so far, for sure.

I'm not sure what you want him to do. Even strength you can tell he desperately wants to shoot the puck and will do so at almost every given opportunity. There's just not many of those opportunities. You can see when he does shoot the puck that he has a cannon, either slap or snap shot.

Ok so he averages 2 min a night on the PP, which is usually less than a minute at a time, with the 2nd unit who can't even establish the zone half the time. That's an incredibly deceiving argument you make there IMO.

Penguinzilla*

He's not getting PP time so he's not very valuable in fantasy hockey. I drafted him assuming he'd be on the top PP unit :rant: but have dropped him since. If Letang gets injured them pick him up quick.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Ehrhoff is also the only Dman on the team that is adjusting to a new system AND a completely new set of teammates. Need to see more reliable play from him for sure but time will tell either way.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Ehrhoff is also the only Dman on the team that is adjusting to a new system AND a completely new set of teammates. Need to see more reliable play from him for sure but time will tell either way.

Fair enough - but when he's 1 on 1 in the dzone, what is his excuse? Because he's pretty damn bad.

He had a good preseason and has been utter **** since. I would not be surprised if he was injured because he went from looking like a steal to looking like an problem in that d-zone.

Once again - I give both him and Martin about 40-50 games before I really start harping on them. But for their skill level... I'm very disappointed at the beginning of their seasons. Especially Martin. He's nowhere close to his high level of the last 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad