Christian Ehroff

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
Considering the notion that the cap isn't going up much (if at all), there's no good reason to re-up either of these two. Again we have capable albeit inexperienced guys who can replace them at a fraction of the cost. And we'll still have Letang, Maatta, Scuds, Despres and Bortz in place. It's not ideal but that's five pretty solid pieces.

Absolutely right, we all thought that the Cap would go up and at least right now it does not look that way.

The Pens just won´t have the Cap to resign guys like that AND have a balanced roster. Harrington and Dumoulin will have to get time in the NHL this season to be ready for a full role next year. Not sure about Pouliot, but I guess the same can be said about him.

Michael8771*

Absolutely right, we all thought that the Cap would go up and at least right now it does not look that way.

The Pens just won´t have the Cap to resign guys like that AND have a balanced roster. Harrington and Dumoulin will have to get time in the NHL this season to be ready for a full role next year. Not sure about Pouliot, but I guess the same can be said about him.
Yep, if we have any aspirations of adding a top six winger in the offseason besides KK this is the manner in which to do so. Five of our seven defensemen will make less than a million dollars. If Sundqvist and KK make the team, which is a real possibility, we could be in a good position here to get a pretty big fish upfront. Particularly if we can keep guys like Comeau or Downie at or near their current salaries. Chicago and several others would be up against it, not necessarily the case with the Pens. JR needs to be very sensible here.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
Http://thepensblog.com/2014-archives/fancystats-through-13-games.html
I know it's pensblog,but Jesse Marshall is pretty good with the analytics. He even mentions that the pens are getting more out of scuderi.

Yeah, I don't know. He says this is "after 13 games", but 1 game difference does not explain the extreme discrepancy. These numbers just seem waaaaaay off.

The only explanation I have is that his numbers are including special teams, which doesn't make any sense from an analytics perspective.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Yeah, I don't know. He says this is "after 13 games", but 1 game difference does not explain the extreme discrepancy. These numbers just seem waaaaaay off.

The only explanation I have is that his numbers are including special teams, which doesn't make any sense from an analytics perspective.

As is said in the linked article, he is looking at 5v5 score close situations. You can play around with it here.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
I'd like to see Ehrhoff used for what he is known for, his lethal point shot. I mean, I don't get why he's not being used in that sense. People here maybe don't remember him during his Sharks years or Canucks years, the guy is damn good at producing. He just seems like he's being used as a more all around defenseman right now and the 2nd unit powerplay thing is just moronic. I get that it's clicking at an insane pace, but I kind of want to see it struggle for a few games just so he's put on the 1st unit and we really see him run it proper.

I think the Pens are trying to develop Letang as a PP QB, so they're not going to give up on making him PP QB just because it's not working at the moment. It feels like a waste of Ehrhoff's strengths to me.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I think the Pens are trying to develop Letang as a PP QB, so they're not going to give up on making him PP QB just because it's not working at the moment. It feels like a waste of Ehrhoff's strengths to me.

sorry I don't want a defensemen whose only value is on the PPQB spot. and is a liability else wise.

I'm in the boat that I have not seen anything that justifies giving him that coveted spot. Perhaps several years ago he did well in that role, but that was then and this is now. He doesn't look good at hockey right now.

@Deutschland. what kikkerlaika said...

Whatever we think about how much Scuderi is getting vs the role he plays. Which I'm on the record as not liking that contract. Scuderi and Despres are making a pretty good pairing right now and as the stats analysis indicates thus far they are not *that* sheltered.

I sincerly hope that Erhoff turns it around as that would be good both for him and the Pens. We haven't reached the 1/4 mark yet in games so it's early.

Still we do have enough of a sample to read some of the early indications.
I for one liked the signing at the time as I was thinking of his Canuck days.
Now with this small sample size I'd be happier if we had not signed him, let Harry play and used that saved $$$ to get a better winger to mesh with Malkin.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I'd like to see Ehrhoff used for what he is known for, his lethal point shot. I mean, I don't get why he's not being used in that sense. People here maybe don't remember him during his Sharks years or Canucks years, the guy is damn good at producing. He just seems like he's being used as a more all around defenseman right now and the 2nd unit powerplay thing is just moronic. I get that it's clicking at an insane pace, but I kind of want to see it struggle for a few games just so he's put on the 1st unit and we really see him run it proper.

Aside from Letang, we have Maatta who is developing into an all-round stud and first pairing guy. He's going to be on our top PP unit sooner or later. And then we have Pouliot, who will probably be the one to push Letang off the first PP unit (eventually).

There's no role for Ehrhoff here.

sabregoon

Nov 7, 2014
Buffalo
I admit I didn't watch him in buffalo. But if he was playing lights out they wouldn't have bought out his contract. I literally can't recall a shift where I went wow he's a darn good defenseman. Scuderi has been better thus far. There I said it...
He pretty much looked like he wanted nothing to do with playing for the Sabres last year. When he decided he wanted to play he was our best d-man but those times were few and far between, and non-existent after January.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Good. He's by far the most worthless 1 year sweetheart deal I've ever seen. It wasn't all his fault as injuries played a huge role into it, but that was by far the disappointing one year deal and waste of money.

Injuries, poor play, not utilized on the powerplay, not utilized properly pretty much anywhere. My advice to CE - don't ever give a team a sweetheart deal ever again. Go get term/money and run away with it.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Thanks to his Buffalo deal, term and money aren't as vital a factor as they would be for most NHLers.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Good. He's by far the most worthless 1 year sweetheart deal I've ever seen. It wasn't all his fault as injuries played a huge role into it, but that was by far the disappointing one year deal and waste of money.

Injuries, poor play, not utilized on the powerplay, not utilized properly pretty much anywhere. My advice to CE - don't ever give a team a sweetheart deal ever again. Go get term/money and run away with it.

Guy was coming off a -27 year. He didn't have those options. I always thought he wanted to play here to show his value and cash in. Lucky for him the upcoming UFA class he still has a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad