Player Discussion Chris Wagner

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
He should be gone.

Looks like we have seen the last of him

When he 1st came on board as a UFA signing. He was a solid 4th line player. Would hit everything on site. Really chippy.

Enjoyed Wags, Kuraly and Acciari line. Good at cycling the puck. Tough line

Wags, Kuraly and Nordy line was also very good for that 2018 run.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Looks like we have seen the last of him

When he 1st came on board as a UFA signing. He was a solid 4th line player. Would hit everything on site. Really chippy.

Enjoyed Wags, Kuraly and Acciari line. Good at cycling the puck. Tough line

Wags, Kuraly and Nordy line was also very good for that 2018 run.
he`s reminded me of Beleskey, 1st year was really pleased with the signing, moving onward, not as much

Reactions: Gordoff

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
No. Both he and Moore cleared.
Thanks. I'm disappointed but not surprised by either. Of the 2 I still think Moore may still be useful. He had a good TC and looked good. Wagner, I liked the addition of him back when they got him but he's been useless since then. I was afraid that they would keep him just because he's a Boston boy who gets local air time. Luckily that isn't the way it's worked out.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Thanks. I'm disappointed but not surprised by either. Of the 2 I still think Moore may still be useful. He had a good TC and looked good. Wagner, I liked the addition of him back when they got him but he's been useless since then. I was afraid that they would keep him just because he's a Boston boy who gets local air time. Luckily that isn't the way it's worked out.

It's never made sense to me why they signed Wags for $1.35 mil/3 years but let Acciari walk the year before when it was reported he would have stayed in Boston for around $1.5 and the same term. Even Nordstrom was offering more than Wagner by the end of his time here and again he was the one that was cast adrift. Just poor management to let two useful 4th liners go and now the one that was retained can't even make the starting roster. It's not a big deal but it's an error that could have been avoided with a little more foresight.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
It's never made sense to me why they signed Wags for $1.35 mil/3 years but let Acciari walk the year before when it was reported he would have stayed in Boston for around $1.5 and the same term. Even Nordstrom was offering more than Wagner by the end of his time here and again he was the one that was cast adrift. Just poor management to let two useful 4th liners go and now the one that was retained can't even make the starting roster. It's not a big deal but it's an error that could have been avoided with a little more foresight.
So what happens now since both cleared waivers ? Do they go down to Providence ?

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
Part of me believes it’s because he’s from Walpole.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
So what happens now since both cleared waivers ? Do they go down to Providence ?

At least in a paper transaction for now.

23-man roster is due at 5:00 pm Eastern today, so it's too late to put anyone else on waivers to send down.

Curtis Lazar could go on IR today allowing the Bruins to keep all of Blidh/Kuhlman/Studnicka up until Lazar is cleared to play.

Also Victor Berglund, who has not yet been cleared to play that I know of will go on IR (you can't send an injured player to the AHL until cleared). Just a paper transaction that doesn't really open up a spot. He is destined for Providence once cleared.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

When Acciari was let go Wagner had been the 7th player winner that season. He had a better season than Acciari and the Bruins thought 4th center could easily be filled by someone else (like Kuraly). Hard to foresee Wagner's game dropping off and Acciari putting up 20 goals the next season.

Nordstrom was a dime a dozen LW/C on the B's. Bruins are still short on legit right wingers to this day.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
When Acciari was let go Wagner had been the 7th player winner that season. He had a better season than Acciari and the Bruins thought 4th center could easily be filled by someone else (like Kuraly). Hard to foresee Wagner's game dropping off and Acciari putting up 20 goals the next season.

Nordstrom was a dime a dozen LW/C on the B's. Bruins are still short on legit right wingers to this day.

It was also hard to see Kuraly's game sliding dowhill like it did which obviously had an effect on the guys he was playing with. Not that Wags was playing well or anything, but to your point the track record going into the post-Noel era 4th line was not bad.

Reactions: Gordoff

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
At least in a paper transaction for now.

23-man roster is due at 5:00 pm Eastern today, so it's too late to put anyone else on waivers to send down.

Curtis Lazar could go on IR today allowing the Bruins to keep all of Blidh/Kuhlman/Studnicka up until Lazar is cleared to play.

Also Victor Berglund, who has not yet been cleared to play that I know of will go on IR (you can't send an injured player to the AHL until cleared). Just a paper transaction that doesn't really open up a spot. He is destined for Providence once cleared.

Isn't there something like a season-opening injured reserve? It's for guys who are on two-way contracts who get injured in the pre-season. Those guys don't count against the cap like a regular IR player.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

Because Accari is always hurt. He was either hurt or playing hurt almost his entire time in Boston.

He had one year in Florida where he wasn't hurt. But then was hurt for a quarter of the season last year and -- wadday know -- he's hurt again now and it's long term.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Isn't there something like a season-opening injured reserve? It's for guys who are on two-way contracts who get injured in the pre-season. Those guys don't count against the cap like a regular IR player.
There is, but there is also an amount that counts towards the cap.

Irrelevant now as Berglund has been cleared and is on the ice in Providnce.

Reactions: lopey

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
You're not alone. A lot of what that front office does is beyond comprehension. Acciari left it all on the ice every shift yet there were people here who dumped on him regularly. For some reason, maybe because Wagner had success before coming here I think he was given a lot more lee-way? Either way, it was yet another lapse in judgment when it comes to assessing "pro" players whether they play for someone else or their own.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Hockey Gent

Sep 25, 2021
Acciari said his wife really wanted to move to Florida so you know how that goes.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Acciari said his wife really wanted to move to Florida so you know how that goes.
...and sour grapes taste good. Besides the fact that they offered him a contract, he had to find something positive to say about leaving his hometown boyhood team to go to the land of ice and hockey, Florida.
But I digress, as someone else mentioned, Wagner just won the 7th Player award and Acciari is/was oft-injured so I guess at the time it did make sense to do what they did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad