Player Discussion Chris Wagner

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Back home now, new Bruin Chris Wagner ready to home in on opponents - The Boston Globe

FOXBOROUGH — Chris Wagner chuckles at the thought that he’ll be wearing No. 14 for his hometown team. When he was growing up in Walpole, that was Sergei Samsonov’s Bruins sweater. He enjoyed watching the Russian winger create magic while cutting figure-8s around the offensive zone.

He didn’t try to model his game after Samsonov’s. Early in his playing career, Wagner realized he was better at finishing a check than a scoring chance.

“When I was little, I liked to do it,” he said. “Lining up people, I was always good at it. When I first got called up, I knew I wasn’t going to out-skill anybody. You’ve got eight minutes a night to prove something.”

“It’s crazy how well it worked out,” said Wagner before a summer pickup skate at the Foxboro Sports Center, where he was greeted in the lobby by a slew of familiar faces. “I would never say no to playing in my hometown. I don’t care about what anybody says about the pressure, or whatever they say.”

Reactions: hrdpuk and BMC

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Back home now, new Bruin Chris Wagner ready to home in on opponents - The Boston Globe

FOXBOROUGH — Chris Wagner chuckles at the thought that he’ll be wearing No. 14 for his hometown team. When he was growing up in Walpole, that was Sergei Samsonov’s Bruins sweater. He enjoyed watching the Russian winger create magic while cutting figure-8s around the offensive zone.

He didn’t try to model his game after Samsonov’s. Early in his playing career, Wagner realized he was better at finishing a check than a scoring chance.

“When I was little, I liked to do it,” he said. “Lining up people, I was always good at it. When I first got called up, I knew I wasn’t going to out-skill anybody. You’ve got eight minutes a night to prove something.”

“It’s crazy how well it worked out,” said Wagner before a summer pickup skate at the Foxboro Sports Center, where he was greeted in the lobby by a slew of familiar faces. “I would never say no to playing in my hometown. I don’t care about what anybody says about the pressure, or whatever they say.”

I can’t wait to see this kid play. Love what I’m reading about / from him.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
He went to my high school, didn't know that.

His freshman year would've been my freshman year in college though.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Doesn't seem like much, but a real good signing for Sweeney. A physical presence on what has become an extremely skill-based team (not complaining).

Other than Backes, what other forward really hits hard consistently?

Just don't pay him 5.2 million AAV for 6 years if he has a good year...

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Doesn't seem like much, but a real good signing for Sweeney. A physical presence on what has become an extremely skill-based team (not complaining).

Other than Backes, what other forward really hits hard consistently?

Just don't pay him 5.2 million AAV for 6 years if he has a good year...

Noel Acciari

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
If he can come in and give you 20 points, I think that's all you're really looking for. That'll replace Schaller's production from last season.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
If he can come in and give you 20 points, I think that's all you're really looking for. That'll replace Schaller's production from last season.

I already miss Timmy. He really grew on me. Really happy about the Wagner signing though, was hoping he'd be a Bruin.

Reactions: BMC

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I already miss Timmy. He really grew on me. Really happy about the Wagner signing though, was hoping he'd be a Bruin.
Loved his hands and shot for a 4th liner, but he was a little too slow, especially in the playoffs....hopefully Wagner is a bit quicker.

Reactions: Grimey

MetM

Nov 29, 2009
16 pts last year VS 22 for Schaller. Hopefully he can increase his production a little also.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Seems like a useful 4th liner and PKer. Not a bad signing at all for the B's. Hopefully he and Nordstrom both skate well, I don't know a lot about their skating abilities. Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner could be a good 4th line if the new guys skate well when you factor in how well Kuraly moves.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
Have to give my two cents on Wagner since I've seen him for 5-6 years in California. He was and is a big fan favorite in Anaheim, if you don't believe me check the threads when he was traded. Talk is he turned down a contract extension here that led him to being traded.

He never took a shift off and and is just a guy you love to watch play because he doesn't seem to care who he hits or irritates. He has great wheels, if the system allows him to skate, Carlyle did not . He drew a lot of penalties for the Ducks and was dangerous on the PK. He also is a very good right handed face-off option even if he's playing the wing, it seems he took a lot of draws last year even though he bounced in and out of center. Many Ducks fans wish he was still here. Honest hard working guy who can hit like a truck and has no fear.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Have to give my two cents on Wagner since I've seen him for 5-6 years in California. He was and is a big fan favorite in Anaheim, if you don't believe me check the threads when he was traded. Talk is he turned down a contract extension here that led him to being traded.

He never took a shift off and and is just a guy you love to watch play because he doesn't seem to care who he hits or irritates. He has great wheels, if the system allows him to skate, Carlyle did not . He drew a lot of penalties for the Ducks and was dangerous on the PK. He also is a very good right handed face-off option even if he's playing the wing, it seems he took a lot of draws last year even though he bounced in and out of center. Many Ducks fans wish he was still here. Honest hard working guy who can hit like a truck and has no fear.

Wow, thanks for the review and I LOVE what you had to say. Not too often you see this kind of praise for a bottom line forward.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Thanks for the report!

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Thanks for taking the time to post this. Fortunately he`ll have a coach in Cassidy who will not prevent him from using that speed you allude to. I know little to nothing about this guy other than reading observations from those here like yourself who have seen him play. Like what I am hearing, hope he does nothing to change his game, chips in from time to time

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
He was in his former teams head

They acted like he was 1974-5 Dave Schultz. Not sure what he knows or what they know but they wanted no part of him.

Fantastic pick up

Confusing that anyone would be physically intimidated by him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad