Chris Wagner

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
No, he's just safe from having to clear waivers for the next 30 days. I wouldn't be surprised to see Wagner traded soon.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
No, he's just safe from having to clear waivers for the next 30 days. I wouldn't be surprised to see Wagner traded soon.

Anyone just could have had him for free, and no one took him, who will give something back to get him?

But wait can`t he be sent down for all the season now?

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Anyone just could have had him for free, and no one took him, who will give something back to get him?

That's not true. Anyone that claims him has to play him on their NHL roster. He couldn't be demoted if he didn't work out. BUT teams will sometimes send a player through waivers right before they are traded on behalf of the team that they are dealing with. For players in that are in the borderline area of development that Wagner is, teams won't pay up unless they can safely send him to the minors if things don't work out. The solution is to pop the player through waivers, and when he clears, trade him with the 30 day waiver protection.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010

As he's cleared waivers now he doesn't have to clear them again this season unless he spends 30 more days on an NHL roster / plays 10 NHL games with Anaheim.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
Very few teams want to claim guys off waivers this early in the year. Teams are still trying to figure out what they have in their own team. Plus most teams are close to the 50 man limit. That's why a trade makes more sense than a claim at this time of the year.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Or maybe he is not sent down because the Gulls don`t play in the next couple of days and Wags can train with the big boys?

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Or maybe he is not sent down because the Gulls don`t play in the next couple of days and Wags can train with the big boys?

I am sure Gulls are practicing too, and if they were gonna send him down in a few days they might as well send him down now to get some chemistry....oh wait the Ducks don't believe in that.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
So we are going to trade another young center?

Nice sounds like a plan.

They were willing to let him go for nothing, do you think they wouldn't rather trade him and actually get a return? As much as we all like Wagner he's not that special. It's nice how much he's progressed and I was hoping he'd secure a spot for himself this year but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. He's set to before an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year so he might not be in our long-term plans anyway. Why not get something for him? He'll only be further down the depth chart once Thompson's healthy and we don't really need another center down in San Diego. It's really not going to be that big of a loss.

DaDucks*

They were willing to let him go for nothing, do you think they wouldn't rather trade him and actually get a return? As much as we all like Wagner he's not that special. It's nice how much he's progressed and I was hoping he'd secure a spot for himself this year but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. He's set to before an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year so he might not be in our long-term plans anyway. Why not get something for him? He'll only be further down the depth chart once Thompson's healthy and we don't really need another center down in San Diego. It's really not going to be that big of a loss.

yup.... Hopefully his career takes on a trajectory like Beleskey after he was waived. Other than that, he's a dime a dozen the way we draft.

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013

How come Wagner becomes an unrestricted free agent at end of the year rather than a restricted free agent? He will not be 27 years old for another two seasons.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

He's set to become a restricted free agent.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
How come Wagner becomes an unrestricted free agent at end of the year rather than a restricted free agent? He will not be 27 years old for another two seasons.

He's set to become a restricted free agent.

Wagner will be 25 when his contract expires and he has completed over three professional seasons. In order to avoid Group VI unrestricted free agency he has to have played at least 80 games. He's at 13 right now. Does anyone here think he's going to get 67 regular season and playoff games this year? I mean it could happen technically but considering the fact that he was just waived and could seemingly be sent down to San Diego any day now I find it highly unlikely that he'll hit that mark.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Wagner will be 25 when his contract expires and he has completed over three professional seasons. In order to avoid Group VI unrestricted free agency he has to have played at least 80 games. He's at 13 right now. Does anyone here think he's going to get 67 regular season and playoff games this year? I mean it could happen technically but considering the fact that he was just waived and could seemingly be sent down to San Diego any day now I find it highly unlikely that he'll hit that mark.

You are correct, but if Murray likes Wagner's game he will offer him a one-way contract for 16-17 before he hits UFA status July 1st.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
You are correct, but if Murray likes Wagner's game he will offer him a one-way contract for 16-17 before he hits UFA status July 1st.

He might. A lot can change from now until January (which is the earliest Murray can sign him to an extension) but the fact that he was waived doesn't speak highly of his feelings about Wagner's future. And Wagner could choose not to re-sign and decide to go elsewhere. We'll see I guess but my feeling is he'll probably move on.

Oct 18, 2011
the league is getting younger, all you ever hear analysts say is it 's becoming a youth oriented sport. maybe we should stop bringing in 30+ year olds ever summer and actually develop some forwards properly

DucksAreCool

Feb 24, 2015
pretty sure the blackhawks and kings have developed young forwards who have helped them
Not particularly young forwards and they picked up older forwards in trades to put the over the top. We have Getzlaf and Perry we've developed. Silfverberg and Maroon have been developed. We still have Rakell, Ritchie and Friberg. Teams trade for veteran forward help to win Cups all the time and they trade away young, low ceiling forwards all the time, trading Wagner is not some huge make or break thing.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Tampa is doing decent and are set for a looooonggggg time

Well in the next couple of years the contracts of Stamkos, Johnson, Palat, Kucherov, Bishop, Killorn and Hedman will all expire. And they barely have cap space as it is. So they might not look the same in a year or so as they are now.

Oct 18, 2011
Well in the next couple of years the contracts of Stamkos, Johnson, Palat, Kucherov, Bishop, Killorn and Hedman will all expire. And they barely have cap space as it is. So they might not look the same in a year or so as they are now.

yeah but the development of those young forwards is why they could possibly absorb losing stamkos. all i am saying is we are in dire need of skill up front organizationally sure it is nice to have a great pool of D prospects but we need some forwards as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00