Chris Wagner

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
wagnerDL030115header.jpg

Chris-Wagner-Anaheim-Ducks-featured-640x424.jpg

Well, there still wasn`t a thread about Wags, figured it might just be the time. He reportedly just signed a one year deal with us. The deal also states AHL salary so might it be it is a two way agreement? I damn hope it is

Can someone more knowledgable in contracts clarify if he doesn`t have to go through waivers if he signs a two-way deal?

Force951

Jul 17, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Can someone more knowledgable in contracts clarify if he doesn`t have to go through waivers if he signs a two-way deal?

Two-Way contract just says that he has different salaries depending on the league he is in. It has nothing to do with waiver status or anything else except the money he is due. His waiver status is due to his age and games played, so he still has to go through waivers next year.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Two-way deal is interesting, although it makes sense, given he really hasn't earned a one way. I wonder if they're confident they won't lose him on waivers. I don't know if I would be

His waiver status did though. For all intents and purposes he is a one-way player now. I can't imagine he'd clear waivers especially with how small his contract is. Maybe that's why he didn't take his qualifying offer yesterday. His qualifying offer would have been 895K so maybe now that he makes so little he'll be even more likely to get claimed and thus forcing the Ducks to keep him on the roster. His bonus would make sense at that point if he does happen to clear waivers and heads to the minors he gets a good chunk going that route.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
His waiver status did though. For all intents and purposes he is a one-way player now. I can't imagine he'd clear waivers especially with how small his contract is. Maybe that's why he didn't take his qualifying offer yesterday. His qualifying offer would have been 895K so maybe now that he makes so little he'll be even more likely to get claimed and thus forcing the Ducks to keep him on the roster. His bonus would make sense at that point if he does happen to clear waivers and heads to the minors he gets a good chunk going that route.

Or he took this deal in fear of spending the year in the minors and making a lot less money, this appears to guarantee him $175,000. I'm not entirely confident he'd clear waivers, but at the same time, every team has their own young guys to worry about, I'm not sure how many teams would guarantee a roster spot for him.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Or he took this deal in fear of spending the year in the minors and making a lot less money, this appears to guarantee him $175,000. I'm not entirely confident he'd clear waivers, but at the same time, every team has their own young guys to worry about, I'm not sure how many teams would guarantee a roster spot for him.

The Kings kept Andy Andreoff on their roster all season in fear of losing him to waivers. Wagner is every bit the player Andreoff. But I think if Wagner were to make almost 900K teams might be a little more gunshy having him as a spare. I might be reading too much into it but there must be a reason he decided to take a 50% paycut.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
This is definitely an interesting signing. I think Joe is right, this may as well be a one way deal, so good for him and good for the Ducks. He took a reasonable salary and he kept the deal structured in a two way contract. The kid wins draws plays with energy and kills penalties. He would never make it through waivers, especially at that low a contract,

mytduxfan*

I don't think Wagner would clear waivers

Me neither. I've been impressed with him every time he's come up to play with the big boys. Tbh, I would have happily played him in that 4C position had we not signed Horcoff.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Me neither. I've been impressed with him every time he's come up to play with the big boys. Tbh, I would have happily played him in that 4C position had we not signed Horcoff.

I find it interesting that they list him as a right winger, despite the fact that he's primarily played center as a pro. Could it be that they see him as such? With our 4 centers appearing to go nowhere anytime soon, I think that's a strong possibility.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Good for Wags, guy has heart and seems like he could be a real sparkplug for us. I don't them the team flirting with sending him through waivers either, that would be pretty dumb. But I could see them starting him in the AHL this season given how many warm bodies we have (also allowing room for other kids out of camp to audition), and calling him up one last time during the season when they send whatever other kid back down.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Good for Wags, guy has heart and seems like he could be a real sparkplug for us. I don't them the team flirting with sending him through waivers either, that would be pretty dumb. But I could see them starting him in the AHL this season given how many warm bodies we have (also allowing room for other kids out of camp to audition), and calling him up one last time during the season when they send whatever other kid back down.
They wouldn't have bothered with a 2-way deal if they didn't see waiving him as a possibility. And I think he wouldn't have accepted the lesser offer with the $100k guarantee if he didn't see it as a possibility either. There's a very real chance he could be demoted once everyone's healthy.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Middle of season he wouldn't. Right before the season when every team is trying to set their roster he probably sneaks through waivers like a lot of other solid tweeners.

That`s what i thought. Isn`t every year there players on some teams everyone thinks will not pass the waivers but they do. Last year that was Marksstrom (i think) and any other?
For some reason i also think there was that one time when teams seem to not pick other teams players up.

I mean - there must be something behind it otherwise Bob wouldn`t have signed him but traded.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
He will be with big club while Thompson is out and swap out with a 4th liner.

Considering his waiver eligibility, and Horcoff likely playing center, perhaps they might have eyes for someone else. A guy like Noesen doesn't have to clear, so he could see some longer looks. Mueller could also be kept up as a spare, he'd be sure to clear. Also a chance of some try out guys, maybe even another addition this summer.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Stephens's article says that he can be sent to the AHL with out having to clear waivers?

Indeed, very strange.

Here's the quote (via OCR)

The deal, according to sources, is worth $600,000 and two-way in nature. Wagner wouldn't need to require waivers if he is sent down to the American Hockey League.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Indeed, very strange.

Here's the quote (via OCR)

Stephens is totally wrong. Wagner was 20 when he signed his first pro contract. The exempt period for a player signing his first pro contract at that age is three years or 160 NHL games, whichever comes first. In fact once a player is 20 ALL professional games count so he lost waiver-exemption a while ago. The only part of the CBA that might suggest he can avoid waivers is if he's sent to the minor before the 12th day before the season starts, which is when the waiver period begins. But I don't think that would work otherwise we'd see that happen a lot I think. One way or the other once the waiver period starts, Wagner is absolutely not exempt.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Stephens is totally wrong. Wagner was 20 when he signed his first pro contract. The exempt period for a player signing his first pro contract at that age is three years or 160 NHL games, whichever comes first. In fact once a player is 20 ALL professional games count so he lost waiver-exemption a while ago. The only part of the CBA that might suggest he can avoid waivers is if he's sent to the minor before the 12th day before the season starts, which is when the waiver period begins. But I don't think that would work otherwise we'd see that happen a lot I think. One way or the other once the waiver period starts, Wagner is absolutely not exempt.
You're wrong on games played. It's 160 NHL games, not professional games. He's played 11 NHL games.

But since it's 3 years, he is eligible.

Getzholm

Jan 21, 2015
So if he is up with the team when the waiver period starts, he would have to go through waivers if we send him down, correct? .... because of the 3 years?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad