Chris VandeVelde

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I still think Cousins should start as our 4th line center next season. If we can get another top 9 winger at some point, then have Raffl-Cousins-Vdv as our 4th. That looks good.

I'd be okay with Raffl in the top 9 and Bellemare on the 4th line.

Raffl > Umberger on Couturier or Laughtons wing.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
In the TV series Dragonball. Goku fights a gang of people that go by the moniker, the Rabbit Gang. The Rabbit boss is an actual rabbit who turns people into carrots and eats them. Goku kicks his ass and takes him to the moon via his power pole and tells him if he works as a slave making candy for children for a year he'll bring him back to earth. Goku then leaves and forgets about him forever. What I'm getting at is Chris Vandevelde is the Rabbit Boss.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Half of this thread I can't tell if it was written in 2014 or 2017.....look at this classic "deadhead v Striiker" battle:

Problem isn't VV, it's that they have no one better who's NHL ready.
You could rush Cousins, Straka or Leier, but you won't get much production and you might set their development back a year.
You could try Jones, but he played worse than VV.
You could bring back Akeson, but even Edmonton didn't claim him, so talentwise he's the same thing, an AHL player.

This seems to be a problem that Flyers fans don't want to face, the reason they play VV, Umberger and Vinnie is there aren't a lot of viable options in the organization and Hextall isn't going to rush players for a marginal improvement.

VV is awful (Jones was, Manning was), he's just meh. A JAG.

Did Bellemare die or something? He's obviously a large step above VV but our idiot coach, who you pathetically defend, doesn't realize that.

Different players, different coach, 3 years later.....it's all the same :laugh:

If he could learn how to PK that would be like whipped cream on the cake. But that would increase his value and cap hit as well.

Oh man, did he learn how to PK.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Jesus christ, why did you bump this, almost gave me a heart attack.

For a guy that couldn't get a gig on the worst team in the NHL at the time, to come and play for so long at the flyers, christ, that shows just how bad our personnel were at the time.

Good luck in the AHL/Europe Chris, you don't really belong in the NHL.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Half of this thread I can't tell if it was written in 2014 or 2017.....look at this classic "deadhead v Striiker" battle:

Different players, different coach, 3 years later.....it's all the same :laugh:

I was right then, and I'm right now.
VdV wasn't the disease, he was just a symptom.
The disease was a putrid farm system and lack of depth on the big team. And that was a decision made by Hextall.

And Hextall was right, as painful as it's been watching JAGs the last three years, look at our ridiculous polls on the skater prospects to realize the fruits of his benign neglect of the NHL roster.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sure, Vandevelde playing is a symptom, like having the runs with food poisoning.

And then our genius coach, instead of deciding to minimize the issue, goes out and gets a truck load of Taco Bell and some ghost peppers, making the symptom even worse than it needs to be... as if it wasn't bad enough to start with.

But wait wait wait wait, Taco Bell was the only option right? There's no alternative available, like a nice safe bowl of Couturier Noodle soup.

I'm still just wondering how deadhead rationalizes putting Vandevelde on the 1st PK unit if Hakstol recognizes what Vandevelde really is and is only using him as a last resort. Seems to destroy his entire theory, doesn't it?

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
The disease was a putrid farm system and lack of depth on the big team. And that was a decision made by Hextall.

And Hextall was right, as painful as it's been watching JAGs the last three years, look at our ridiculous polls on the skater prospects to realize the fruits of his benign neglect of the NHL roster.

Incorrect

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Some days, reading your posts makes me want to go skydiving, just so I can cut the strings on my parachute and plummet to my death.

SheasRebellion6

Jan 17, 2012
Forget Jagr, VDV still not having a contract is the real atrocity of this offseason. I mean you wanna talk about guts and laying it all on the line, woof. My man had jam. And no crotchal region injuries against all odds, at least as far as I can recall.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Even with him gone you still are all talking about VDV.

Maybe you guys secretly really loved him.

Brayden Fattison

Mar 4, 2013
Why does a player in the Mongolian Semi-pro Hockey League have his own thread? Seriously, don't jinx this ****.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad