Chris VandeVelde

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That's strange, considering how many times we were told that he was 100% getting re-signed and we should get used to it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That's strange, considering how many times we were told that he was 100% getting re-signed and we should get used to it.

If you expect the worst and hope for the best, it's a much lighter feeling when it works out in your favor.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If you expect the worst and hope for the best, it's a much lighter feeling when it works out in your favor.

I get the concept, but this is an extreme case that doesn't really fit.

Hoping to make the playoffs, but saying you expect to miss, makes sense.

Telling someone that a meteor is 100% definitely going to crash through the roof of your home and kill you, so just accept it now, is a little bit different. It was never going to happen to acting like it's a sure thing, just for the sake of being fatalistic and pessimistic, is just silly.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Poor guy has probably been sitting next to his phone all summer, waiting for a contract offer

Are you kidding?

He likely has 20-25 offers, he is just taking his time mulling they them all.

He is what is holding up the Duchene trade. Why trade for Matt when you can get VDV for free.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I get the concept, but this is an extreme case that doesn't really fit.

Hoping to make the playoffs, but saying you expect to miss, makes sense.

Telling someone that a meteor is 100% definitely going to crash through the roof of your home and kill you, so just accept it now, is a little bit different. It was never going to happen to acting like it's a sure thing, just for the sake of being fatalistic and pessimistic, is just silly.

This is anything but an extreme case. The meteor is the extreme case. I'm sure Hakstol was in Hextall's office begging and pleading especially once Bellemare was taken away, thankfully he was told to go fly a kite.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
This is anything but an extreme case. The meteor is the extreme case. I'm sure Hakstol was in Hextall's office begging and pleading especially once Bellemare was taken away, thankfully he was told to go fly a kite.

You're right, these aren't really the same thing.

There was actually a chance of a meteor striking, there was zero chance of Vandevelde coming back.

My mistake.

Chuck Downie

Filthy Blonde
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
I think he could revitalize both their careers if he would slot in on Giroux's wing rather than that fat, pasta loving Voracek.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, we could always bring Gordon back for veteran depth!

VdV was just one of many mediocre 4th line players cycling through Philly the last five years, starting in 2012-13 when the Holmgren cash crunch resulted in a back of a roster full of retreads, Knuble (40), Fedotenko (34), Hall (32), and young stars like McGinn and Rinaldo.

VdV played 18 games in 2013-14 with Rinaldo, Hall and Rosehill rounding out the bottom of the roster. How's that for a 4th line?

VdV has been the whipping boy, but the problem predates him and Hextall and Hakstol - this is what happens when a GM throws money around in the cap era.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
"Young stars like McGinn and Rinaldo".

tenor.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If one needs any evidence that Hextall is a hockey demi-god, we got 3rd rd picks for both McGinn (104g 4-10 14, CF 47.4% since he was traded) and Rinaldo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->