Confirmed with Link: Chris Tierney Extension: 2 Years, $3.5 AAV

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I agree having some big bodies around who play physical is good to have.

Can't buy in to the fact we need them or else we get scared to play.

Happy to agree to disagree.

For sure. They're good to have but as soon as the other teams get some tough players they'll be too scared to hit anyone so... enjoy it while it lasts. :sarcasm:

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
But I'll ask again. Is Wayne Simmonds or Tom Wilson or Ryan Reaves or Pat Maroon going to decide not to pick on Tim Stuetzle because the likes of Gudbranson, J.Brown and Watson are on the ice or on the bench? You can answer the question however you want but from everything I've seen these players will play the way they've always played.

If physical players were so easily deterred there would be no place for them in the league. The fact is that there is still a place for tough players who will make things rough on the opposing team. It's precisely because they WON'T be deterred that they're still a significant part of the NHL.

It’s so our young guys can hit and grind and play hard. Just look at what happened to Toronto and their young guys the last couple years, people know they can go into Toronto and do whatever they want and there was zero price to pay. They got bullied at every turn and that is a fact.
You think if they had three big monsters that don’t mind the rough stuff people would just push them around and joke on camera how easy and soft the game is going to be that night?
Do you think other teams will let Drake and Norris throw big hits and be in their face all night and just bow down and take it.
It’s building a team identity and a system. If every single guy on the sens plays tough and they have a few monsters that can whoop you. It’s going to make a difference.
As much as the fighting has faded from the NHL don’t kid yourself into thinking they still don’t separate the tough guys from the wanna be tough guys. And guys like Tom Wilson play how they want but most humans will not target a team with a bunch of guys that can cave your face in and actually send you to the hospital.
It’s no joke, it’s no “oh ya I’m so scared” on my keyboard.
It’s real violence and lots of players like most humans are uneasy with the thought of some 6’4 gorilla playing bongos on your face

And yes if Wilson targets Stut he will be instantly in a fight and will have to pay for his actions and yes it makes a difference

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
In the end you just need the right balance and everyone needs to be able to play the game too.

No issue with what they've done to this point and at least they got guys that can play hockey unlike Sabourin last year or the tough guys of old.

It would be a cause for concern if they took it much further or went out and got a useless goon like the old days, but I think they're set and don't expect any more "tough guy" aquisitions.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
In the end you just need the right balance and everyone needs to be able to play the game too.

No issue with what they've done to this point and at least they got guys that can play hockey unlike Sabourin last year or the tough guys of old.

It would be a cause for concern if they took it much further or went out and got a useless goon like the old days, but I think they're set and don't expect any more "tough guy" aquisitions.

Getting tough players is fine. Getting three might be overkill but we're not going to be good this year anyway so I don't really mind (although I'd prefer to watch better players or prospects). It's the idea that by having these three players all of a sudden no other team is going to try to be physical with us. That and the originator of this discussion suggesting that Tim Stuetzle should always have one of Brown, Gudbranson, Watson or Tkachuk (I'm OK with this one) on the ice with him at all times.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Getting tough players is fine. Getting three might be overkill but we're not going to be good this year anyway so I don't really mind (although I'd prefer to watch better players or prospects). It's the idea that by having these three players all of a sudden no other team is going to try to be physical with us. That and the originator of this discussion suggesting that Tim Stuetzle should always have one of Brown, Gudbranson, Watson or Tkachuk (I'm OK with this one) on the ice with him at all times.
That I agree with. Nice to have a tough team, but I followed along the conversation and definitely agree with you on that debate.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I just realized Tierney gets paid 4.2 mil next year. Daaaaamn. Must be nice to be him, very vanilla guy in the mid-upper echelon of salary in the NHL.

I was just looking through his track record, he's one of the abarations on our roster in that, through our lows, most players under produced while he continued to do well but now that we're improving as a team, he's regressed rather significantly. In 2018-19, our terrible year pre rebuild, he was a 48 pt player with 80% of his play time being with Boedker + Ryan, or Balcers + Paarjavi. Since then, in rebuild year 2019-2020, he cracked a respectable 37 points despite improved line mates in Duclair + Namestnikov, Brown + Namestnikov, Duclair + Brady, being jus about 80% of his line combos. Still, could just be a depression in points from the team not scoring much. This year, despite another uptick in line mate quality with 75% of this time with Batherson + Stutzle, Brown + Tkachuk, Paul + Dzingle, he's dipped to 19 points on the season.

Hopefully this year is just an adjustment year, from the shit schedule, to the pandemic, to no solid pre-season camp, to rookie linemates.

I doubt Seatle will pick him up considering his 4.2 mil price tag with no longevity to his contract, but then again, he may be a guy that could blow up for 40-50 pts again on a team where he's getting 20 mins with PP time.

If he returns to form next year sitting at 30-40 pts at the deadline, could get a pretty nice piece for him if we're not in playoff mode yet.

Reactions: NB613

sirom

May 17, 2010
I just realized Tierney gets paid 4.2 mil next year. Daaaaamn. Must be nice to be him, very vanilla guy in the mid-upper echelon of salary in the NHL.

I was just looking through his track record, he's one of the abarations on our roster in that, through our lows, most players under produced while he continued to do well but now that we're improving as a team, he's regressed rather significantly. In 2018-19, our terrible year pre rebuild, he was a 48 pt player with 80% of his play time being with Boedker + Ryan, or Balcers + Paarjavi. Since then, in rebuild year 2019-2020, he cracked a respectable 37 points despite improved line mates in Duclair + Namestnikov, Brown + Namestnikov, Duclair + Brady, being jus about 80% of his line combos. Still, could just be a depression in points from the team not scoring much. This year, despite another uptick in line mate quality with 75% of this time with Batherson + Stutzle, Brown + Tkachuk, Paul + Dzingle, he's dipped to 19 points on the season.

Hopefully this year is just an adjustment year, from the shit schedule, to the pandemic, to no solid pre-season camp, to rookie linemates.

I doubt Seatle will pick him up considering his 4.2 mil price tag with no longevity to his contract, but then again, he may be a guy that could blow up for 40-50 pts again on a team where he's getting 20 mins with PP time.

If he returns to form next year sitting at 30-40 pts at the deadline, could get a pretty nice piece for him if we're not in playoff mode yet.

CT has had I think 58 seconds on the pp all year check Norris minutes on PP and PP points! Sens have moved on from him CT that is

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

No, that's exactly why Seattle will pick him. His cap hit is only $3.5m. The fact that he only has 1 yr left is a good thing. There's very little risk in picking Tierney. There are very few options at center in this draft, and Tierney has proven he can play anywhere in the lineup. He's extremely versatile and can kill penalties. He's absolutely the kind of player an expansion team would want. You want versatile players when assembling a new group of players together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad