Player Discussion Chris Tierney (C)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We'd be foolish to trade Tierney unless we have Pageau signed.

Brown's going to stay.

The draft is unknown
Pageau being signed is unknown.

I agree we have a crunch coming...its a good problem to have...but there are many unknowns. Tierney is a certainty

All totally fair and valid points. I think if we chose to trade Tierney, it's because Pageau is signed. If Pageau isn't willing to sign, I'd keep Tierney as he's RFA and doesn't have the liberty of just leaving and trade Pageau to the highest bidder.

You mention the crunch coming is a good problem to have, I agree in part because it gives us the flexibility to trade from a position of strength. In the end, it will all boil down to the return. I think I'm higher on the return Tierney will command than some, so for example, if we're talking about Tierney for a 2nd, I'm with you.

Reactions: DrEasy

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Yes you keep trading away nhl players for draft picks...and you'll be one of the guys at the front of the line harping all the time because we suck.

Tierney is a good player and we control him. There's no need to move him
Yes you keep piling centermen until you dont have any margin to trade them ...and you'll be one of the guys at the front line praising all the time moronic management decisions.
Keep Pageau and trade Tierney

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
No more overpaying these role players that don't tip the scales when it really comes down to it. They have a fresh slate after burning their budget last time.

Guys like Tierney need to be signed for low term only, or they need to be moved on from.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Yes you keep piling centermen until you dont have any margin to trade them ...and you'll be one of the guys at the front line praising all the time moronic management decisions.

I dont have an issue with keeping or trading either one. The difference is Pageau has a choice and I wouldn't trade Tiernet unless Pageau is signed

Reactions: Alex1234

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
Really wish we traded Tierney this off-season. Not only was he expendable at the time, he's even more expendable now with the young players finding their game.
His value won't ever be higher than it was this off-season & now we have him playing as our 4th line centre. When Anismov comes back, where does he go? To the wing?

Just a useless, stat-padding roster spot that is taking icetime from players who will actually be with the team moving forward next season.

Reactions: NB613

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I don't think it's a simple as re-signing Tierney if the team trades Pageau. The guy will still be the 3C (at best) behind Brown and White and with Anisimov still on the team and Chlapik/Norris knockin on the door he still may be a good on the outside looking in sooner than later.

He'll probably be looking for a raise into the $3.5/$4 million range and I'm not convinced that's the best use of EM's limited funds.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'm just not that fond of the game this guy brings. He's soft, lacks intensity, and is the absolute definition of a tweener imo. Not good enough to be a true 2nd line center, but definitely not suited to be a 3C either. At least Pageau brings something that separates him a bit. I have no issue hanging on to Tierney until the RFA runway runs out, but I have no interest in this guy being here long term and should be used as currency at some point.

Reactions: NB613

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
He's a 25 year old RFA, I hope we can get a bit more than just a 2nd.

Tatar was a 26 year old with better tools but similar production by the time we'll be trading Tierney. He got a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Dzingel got two 2nds and Duclair as a UFA to be. Better offensive player for sure, but a year older and no contract going forward.

I'm hoping for a late 1st from a contender, or two 2nds or a 2nd and a prospect from a team looking for a long term middle six center.

We don't have a lot of need for Tierney, but that doesn't mean other teams can't see some value there.

If Tierney is struggling to carve out a top 6 roster spot on this roster I doubt any contender would pay a 1st for him.
He also doesn't have the reputation a guy like Brassard had. Which would have helped a team to make the same mistake.

He's a stop gap player. A player who is nice to have but you eventually want to replace with prospect you developed.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Most people around here wanted to keep Turris, not draft Brady, not hire DJ, not sign good role players that have really helped turn the team around this year. I don’t know who is at the front of the line cheering what but the vast knowledge on public forms isn’t really anything to brag about and insulting someone for no reason seems pointless.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Most people around here wanted to keep Turris, not draft Brady, not hire DJ, not sign good role players that have really helped turn the team around this year. I don’t know who is at the front of the line cheering what but the vast knowledge on public forms isn’t really anything to brag about and insulting someone for no reason seems pointless.

It's pretty hilarious how wrong people are around here.

Remember when Jonathan Dahlen was supposed to be the next Filip Forsberg???

Reactions: NB613 and NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Really wish we traded Tierney this off-season. Not only was he expendable at the time, he's even more expendable now with the young players finding their game.
His value won't ever be higher than it was this off-season & now we have him playing as our 4th line centre. When Anismov comes back, where does he go? To the wing?

Just a useless, stat-padding roster spot that is taking icetime from players who will actually be with the team moving forward next season.

He has never had any significant value.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

He wins 56% of his face offs this year and is good for 40-50 points he is far from useless. He also kills a lot of penalties where those face off wins help a ton. And he is the fourth most used forward on the team and does a lot more than he gets credit for.
Is he a star player? Nope. But on his current contract he is one hell of a good deal and a lot more important to the team than people are letting on.

Reactions: OD99

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I don't think it's a simple as re-signing Tierney if the team trades Pageau. The guy will still be the 3C (at best) behind Brown and White and with Anisimov still on the team and Chlapik/Norris knockin on the door he still may be a good on the outside looking in sooner than later.

He'll probably be looking for a raise into the $3.5/$4 million range and I'm not convinced that's the best use of EM's limited funds.

We will have to qualify him to retain his rights including a small raise. He isn’t playing great but his numbers would suggest he is our 2C with Pager gone behind Brown.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It's pretty hilarious how wrong people are around here.

Remember when Jonathan Dahlen was supposed to be the next Filip Forsberg???
Its pretty hilarious how wrong you are over and over again. Remember when no one cared who Mark Stone was then he turned out to be a star.

Remember when no one cared that the sens traded Demitra for a bag of pucks?

Two can play this game.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Its pretty hilarious how wrong you are over and over again. Remember when no one cared who Mark Stone was then he turned out to be a star.

Remember when no one cared that the sens traded Demitra for a bag of pucks?

Two can play this game.

Come on Bert....you can play that game all day long with players that rose from obscurity to become prominent NHLers

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
He's been fine. He is an adequate place holder. He's worth more to the team than the 2nd round pick he'd return in a trade. Tierney isnt a core player so just keep giving him short contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad