I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
448042.jpg

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
The thing about Terry is, where does he fit? He doesn't skate well or kill penalties, and he'd be out of place on the 4th line, so he's not really a replacement for Dwyer. Nestrasil might be, but then you have Terry in a top 9 role, and that's probably not just something you want to hand him. It's the exact same argument as last year. Don't just pencil these guys in. Let them knock your socks off in training camp.

Personally, I see nothing special about his game, 11 goals or not. Quad A is exactly what he is. I would have let him walk if he didn't want another league minimum/2-way deal.

Highway29

Don dun well?
Mar 20, 2013
I got this feeling that Gerbe will be gone before the fall.. I like Gerbe but we could do better and he has some value. So he's Gerbe replacement

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
by my understanding, one-way/two-way contracts and a players waiver eligibility are entirely unassociated with one another.

Largely correct.

The main distinction is that one-way contracts guarantee that the player makes the NHL salary, while two-way contracts dictate that a player will make a higher number in the NHL ($600,000 for example) than he will in the AHL ($150,000)

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
^ If he keeps shooting 15.5% then it'll be a good deal. I'm not betting on a 26 year old who just completed his rookie season to do that.

Well he could just regress to his lifetime shooting % average of 14.1, still the highest on the team by a long shot.

Or maybe he is Gerbe's replacement, he of the lifetime 6.2% shooting percentage.

And those lamenting Terry's skating aren't paying attention. He's improved each of the last three years and is actually quite passable now. He's not a liability in his own zone, thinks the game well, and is a very good passer. He looks to be a 3rd line scoring option, which likely means that Gerbe is indeed expendable. I'd trade him in a heartbeat (and I love his heart and grit).

Last edited:

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
I don't mind this signing at all. Terry has worked hard for many years in the system to get this chance. He was decent in the time he got on the 4th line last year. I expect this to give him a vote of confidence in a make or break chance for him. He's a hard worker...I think he may do better this year. If not, he gets traded or waived. I'm good with seeing what we've got, since we're not winning the cup this year, anyway.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
I think he is smart enough and good defensively to be ok on the 4th line. I would replace Malone with him.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Largely correct.

The main distinction is that one-way contracts guarantee that the player makes the NHL salary, while two-way contracts dictate that a player will make a higher number in the NHL ($600,000 for example) than he will in the AHL ($150,000)

out of curiosity, where are they connected? does number of 1/2-way contracts have to do with a players eligibility (in the same way that years and age do?)

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I think too much is being made about this being a one-way deal. It doesn't mean anything, as we can still send him back down to the AHL if he doesn't perform up to snuff. It just means if we try to do so, he'll go through waivers and another team will get a shot at him. And if he can't perform up before hitting the waiver wire, why would we care if another team claims him?

Another bad one-way deal. Just like Malone last year. Harrumph.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
If I'm choosing between Gerbe and Terry, I'm taking Gerbe 98% of the time, every time. Gerbe doesn't strike me as the type of guy that Peters (and GMRF) will be wanting to move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad