Proposal: Chris Tanev to the Leafs next offseason

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Would you trade Horvat for Tanev?

Leafs are tanking this year, and we will get our #1RD 2nd overall in the draft.

Leafs aren't tanking they are on pace for 80+ points that's not tanking that's not enough for the playoffs but they aren't tanking

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Lol I agree that Tanev/Rielly would be a damn good pairing.

But. Leafs fans. Honestly. Tanev, a early prime, #2/3 guy, on a GREAT contract, and you guys are trying to get him with peanuts. I know you guys wanna get him, but just because you're on the east coast doesn't mean you get him for free.

Virtanen + (Nucks have no AHL forward near Leipsic as a prospect, so Subban?)+ 1st= Peanuts?

Fiala+Aberg+ 1st= peanuts?

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Do people not understand that this is a top pairing defenseman in his prime signed for 5 more years at a very reasonable cap hit? (4.45)

You need players like Tanev to achieve any amount of success in this league, if u can't defend u won't go anywhere, look at Dallas, all world offense & inconsistent defense/goaltending.

We aren't just going to give him up for nothing. As others said, right now we aren't looking to get rid of him and the price is still high. We need a proven/high quality asset back or it isn't happening. Potential mid/late 1st's, or secondary prospects won't do it.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ridiculous...huge overpayment. Keep him.

Our top prospect and a 1st. NO THANKS

Ridiculous overpayment. The Leafs are going to have cap space next season. Rather overpay a UFA,
then give up prime assets.

HUGE, I mean HUGE overpayment. I would not give the 1st round pick alone for Tanev! No ****ing way.

Don't want him he's been too injured plus I think Canuck fans want to much, I think Canuck fans saw what Larsson got and now they think every #3 d man is worth the moon but Tanev isn't

LOL at Nucks fans saying thats not enough.... ? Really

All great examples of Leafs fans overrating there own guys while underrating other teams players. Happens every time.

This is not a good trade for Vancouver. Kapanen is a solid prospect but he's not elite by any means.

That 1st rounder would not be Top 10 if this trade happened. The Leafs would be significantly better next year with the young kids being more accustomed to the league, while Tanev would be the Leafs best Dman and immediately turn that back end around substantially. He and Tanev would make for a significantly better Top pairing then what they have right now.

Vancouver fans are absolutely right to laugh at this offer. It's not enough.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Same.

Lotto Win protected 1st +Prospect not Kap (I'd like to rule out Grundstrom and neilsen too)+later of two seconds.

The whole Marner/ Nylander thing is pie in the sky dreaming IMO. Sure it could happen but overwhelmingly not likely. Non Franchise/elite 1st liners don't bring back elite prospects/ young players, they bring back same aged/value assets or packages.

And for everyone trumpetting Chia getting bent as some sort of precedent look at Hamilton.
I would do it without protection. My hope would be to draft a top pair D with our 1st....that's what Tanev is...i would deal our unprotected 1st right now.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Signed 3 years after next year wouldn't work for Toronto. They likely wouldn't be truly competing within that time period so could easily loose Tanev to UFA.
The guy hasn't never scored more than 20 points and is now what 26 almost 27? He is not a two way defender at all and I wouldn't trade that package for purely defensive defender. Not many players can be a true top pairing defender without having moderate offensive ability and I'd say he has well below average considering his TOI. He also isn't overly physical

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I would do it without protection. My hope would be to draft a top pair D with our 1st....that's what Tanev is...i would deal our unprotected 1st right now.

Ballsy, don't think I would. Staight up or any adds? IMO anything on top would have to be strictly conditional picks, not giving up a top3+ pick for a #2 without offence

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Lol I agree that Tanev/Rielly would be a damn good pairing.

But. Leafs fans. Honestly. Tanev, a early prime, #2/3 guy, on a GREAT contract, and you guys are trying to get him with peanuts. I know you guys wanna get him, but just because you're on the east coast doesn't mean you get him for free.

Toronto is not on the East coast.
Lake Ontario. Great Lakes. St. Lawrence seaway and all that before you get to the Atlantic Ocean. Its 800 kms away.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
uh can we stop making these threads

toronto clearly doesnt want any dmen that can actually play defense

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015

And would you want to give him like 7 million per year in 3 years when he is 30? Not sure if he fits in with the core Ave group enough to give that much up.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I didn't make this thread, in order to start it again I would have to start it the first time

But I didn't because I don't want him, at least not for what Vancouver fans think he's worth

I didn't say you started the thread. I'm talking about your assumption (without watching Tanev play) that Larsson is better and worth more.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Ballsy, don't think I would. Staight up or any adds? IMO anything on top would have to be strictly conditional picks, not giving up a top3+ pick for a #2 without offence

Ballsy? Sure. But as i said, if we keep our 1st...the hope is to draft a top pair D, which would need to develp. Tanev is that now at 25 on a great contract. His lack of offense doesn't bother me at all....i love his shut down game. Would i add? Not alot if at all....but i may add something if need be.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I didn't say you started the thread. I'm talking about your assumption (without watching Tanev play) that Larsson is better and worth more.

Again you are incorrect the truth is I think that was a brutal trade but it happened and I think that because NJ #3 d man got a top line forward

That your #3 d man, should get that too, technically he is your #1 but really he's a #3

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
An unprotected first for Chris Tanev? No thanks.

For the old Leafies in the crowd, this would be the Tom Kurvers trade all over again: a 27 y.o. former 7th round pick top-pairing defenceman from New Jersey for an unprotected Toronto first that turned into Scott Niedermayer.

Tanev is too old (26 y.o.) and not good enough to pay that price, no matter what pairing the Canucks play him on.

Not interested.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Again you are incorrect the truth is I think that was a brutal trade but it happened and I think that because NJ #3 d man got a top line forward

That your #3 d man, should get that too, technically he is your #1 but really he's a #3

Once again proving you don't watch him. He's a top pairing D-man and it's not a debate. Put up a poll if you don't believe me.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

He's absolutely not a #3, in terms of sheer results he's up there with Hjalmarsson and Vlasic as objectively the best defensive d-man in the league. I'm sorry but your crap in this thread is not an accurate representation of reality. Objectively Chris Tanev is really good at ice hockey, and your opinion which is of the minority is not good enough to debunk that.

Construct real arguments using information that can be backed up on how Chris Tanev is a #3.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
An unprotected first for Chris Tanev? No thanks.

For the old Leafies in the crowd, this would be the Tom Kurvers trade all over again: a 27 y.o. former 7th round pick top-pairing defenceman from New Jersey for an unprotected Toronto first that turned into Scott Niedermayer.

Tanev is too old (26 y.o.) and not good enough to pay that price, no matter what pairing the Canucks play him on.

Not interested.

I may be one of "the oldest Leafers' on this site. This isn't the Kurvers era, and there is no Niedermayer in this draft. And in my opinion, you vastly under rate Tanev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad