Proposal: Chris Tanev to the Leafs next offseason

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Hyperbole much? Go find find one post in which i have said i would move Marner/Matthews/Nylander for Tanev....seriously, if you are going to make a ******** statement, back it up...i'll wait.

Don't worry Lifeleafer, we don't judge you by your fellow Leaf fan conduct. As I stated before, every fan base has a few of "those guys". :laugh:

Tanev not even worth a 2nd Rd pick.......he lost all credibility right there. Doesn't matter if you feel your team doesn't need a player.....making that claim was a joke. Tanev on the Leafs is what they need, a calming defensive D to off set the offensive guys the Leafs have now who aren't as strong defensively as Tanev. Tanev won't be traded cheap, if he is traded.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
You guys are ridiculous. EASY no from Van.

Adam Larsson got Taylor Hall.
Tanev is a better defenceman than Larsson.

So start thinking around there in value TO fans.

We aren't Edmonton. Not "desperate" for D, don't have a replacement (Lucic) waiting to replace who we deal. We are in no position to be dealing Marner/Nylander.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
When Jim Benning gets fired and the Canucks start a rebuild:

:leafs
Chris Tanev

:nucks
Kasperi Kapanen
Brendan Leipsic
2018 1st Round Pick (Top 3 Protected)

How do these top 3 protected trades work ? If the pick becomes top 3 what does the other team get to make up the difference ?

LoovTrain

Stanley... Come Home
May 6, 2015
Toronto

And the price for Filip Forsberg will always be Erat and Latta.

One bad trade does not set the market.

Just like a mid 1st and 2 2nds did not set the market for young Dmen

Last edited:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
When Jim Benning gets fired and the Canucks start a rebuild:

:leafs
Chris Tanev

:nucks
Kasperi Kapanen
Brendan Leipsic
2018 1st Round Pick (Top 3 Protected)

Leafs are in the 2nd year of a rebuild. Vancouver wants to trade Tanev because they want to start a rebuild. Why is he worth giving up a top pick and top prospect by one rebuilding team but another rebuilding team would rather have the pick and prospect?

Zaitsev > tanev, what's Vancouver offer?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Now maybe the Leafs would decline for reasons other than value, but to suggest this is a total rip off for them? Come on. This deal favours the Leafs as is.

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada

I know its fun to dream but we have to assume that was a special circumstance, our ask shouldn't be too much lower in this scenario.

Last edited:

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa

Lmao you really couldn't figure this out? Tanev is about to turn 28 in 3 days. Larsson JUST turned 24 last month..

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
Ah, let's start trashing Tanev because we don't want to give up anything of value to get a top pairing elite shutdown defender that our team would really benefit from.. that narrative is always good to follow.

Either way, if Tanev is on the block, the Canucks would easily get better offers than what a lot of Leaf fans are ready to give up here.

Canucks would probably be really happy keeping their arguably best player as well.

Bye.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Ah, let's start trashing Tanev because we don't want to give up anything of value to get a top pairing elite shutdown defender that our team would really benefit from.. that narrative is always good to follow.

Either way, if Tanev is on the block, the Canucks would easily get better offers than what a lot of Leaf fans are ready to give up here.

Canucks would probably be really happy keeping their arguably best player as well.

Bye.

Both teams are in a rebuild, he suits neither.
Bye is correct.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I think if the leafs get a top 3 pick this year, they get to keep it and the other team would get leafs next first regardless of where it lands. That's what top 3 protected means.

I think the isles traded a top 5 protected Pick to the sabres and it ended up being top 5 so they chose to keep it and instead gave the sabres their next first (2015 pick I think)
I don't think either pick had protection, it was just a conditional 14/15 first rounder, the condition being the Islanders could pick the year they surrendered their draft rights.

Scygen

Jun 12, 2014
Calgary
Lets cut through all the garbage.

First Tanev is 26 years old going on 27 on December 20th.
He's not flashy he wont score any highlight real goals. He is not a #1 defense man, but has proven to be a valuable top pairing dman. He only plays the right side, and is slowly proving to be becoming somewhat injury prone(similar to Sami Salo was)
The leafs would absolutely love to have him in their lineup no questions asked. But they will not be trading any of their top prospects or younger players for him.. for much the same reasons the Canucks might be interested in trading him... by the time either team is ready to compete again after a rebuild.. Tanev will already be on the downturn of his career. Tanev's value is at a peak right now. But a trade to Toronto makes absolutely no sense at all.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks defense is awful without Tanev. Canucks simply can't afford to trade him. A first round pick would be bungled here, anyway and I think that is known. If there was a different GM, maybe that scenario makes sense?

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
Leafs are in the 2nd year of a rebuild. Vancouver wants to trade Tanev because they want to start a rebuild. Why is he worth giving up a top pick and top prospect by one rebuilding team but another rebuilding team would rather have the pick and prospect?

Just stop the silly stuff
Please someone lock up this damn thread already
Reading through it causes headaches, palm shaped forehead bruising, and a loss of IQ
Enough already

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Tanev does nothing that impresses me. Nothing. Sorry to disappoint you.

That's cause you don't notice him. And that's a very good thing when it comes to defensive d-men. Get a clue. He has VERY high value around the league and teams covet players that can routinely shut down... Actually shut down superstars.

dellzor

Bo Horvat's Head
Nov 21, 2016
Vancouver, BC

This post is almost as dumb as the post where someone thought Russell was on the same level as Tanev

Jesus

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
This post is almost as dumb as the post where someone thought Russell was on the same level as Tanev

Jesus

They also think Gardiner is better than Tanev... So apparently they have 3 top pairing D-men on their team.. Wonder why they're so low in the standings.

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
OH please Vancouver would never get Zaitsev for Tanev even up. Four reasons, he's younger, he's cheaper, he's better, he has a higher ceiling

How is he better? and how is his ceiling higher?

Confucius says you have no idea what you are talking about.

MonarchFlames

Sep 30, 2016
LMFAO at Zaitsev better than Tanev lol and pretty sure there's only one or two year difference in age. How much better will Zaitsev get if any at all.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad