Injury Report: Chris Tanev is injured...again

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Personally I feel that at some point, if a player is valuable enough, he should maybe assess the constantly changing on-ice situations and figure out how to contribute to the team while minimizing injuries to himself.

Of course this is easier said than done, and I'm absolutely not saying Tanev is at fault or anything stupid like that. What I do think, however, is that Tanev should take some time to reflect on the numerous times he's been injured over the last year or so, and think about what could've been done to avoid them. Forget trade value, this is about his own value as a player.

Injuries suck, no doubt about it.

Fwiw, I seem to recall the commentators talking about Chris doing something like this last summer. It was very early in the season. I can't recall exactly what was said, but iirc, it was something to the effect of consulting with someone about how to be less vulnerable to injury and/or how to train differently to that end

I shall see if I can dig up some kind of a link.....

Edit: Seem to have found one. It's an interview from last May on 650. I can't be bothered to tinker with the link too much atm but here it is:

Chris Tanev on getting 'beefed up' and other strategies for injury prevention - Sportsnet.ca

Last edited:

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Are you sure it's wise to have our best realistic trade chip playing injured as the deadline approaches?

cut.jpg

Reactions: timw33

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Fwiw, I seem to recall the commentators talking about Chris doing something like this last summer. It was very early in the season. I can't recall exactly what was said, but iirc, it was something to the effect of consulting with someone about how to be less vulnerable to injury and/or how to train differently to that end

I shall see if I can dig up some kind of a link.....

Edit: Seem to have found one. It's an interview from last May on 650. I can't be bothered to tinker with the link too much atm but here it is:

Chris Tanev on getting 'beefed up' and other strategies for injury prevention - Sportsnet.ca

Hmm yeah now that you mentioned it I vaguely recall something like that from a while back.

Either way, I think at this point Tanev's value is very low to other teams, no matter the reason, the outcome is the same: the guy simply CANNOT stay healthy, and to any team, this is a liability.

Oh well...at least we can probably re-sign him at a reasonable price when the time comes.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With every injury Tanev's trade value plummets. Shrewd GM's always seem to find a way to trade a guy like Tanev at the top of the market. But I suppose that when you haven't drafted or traded for a decent d-man in your five years on the job, Jimbo feels he doesn't have much choice but to hang on to him.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Wonder if we can trade BACK for Del Zotto now :laugh:

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Hey remember when he had value this offseason and didn’t trade him? Or Edler, or doing literally anything other than nothing?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Who could have predicted injuries to Tanev and an aging Edler? Impossible! Oh wait they did work to build depth in times of injury...that’s why they have Real Gud and Poo.

Reactions: timw33

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lieterally:

Hutton Gudbranson
Briesbois Biega
Poop Gudbad

This gonna be UGLY

Wow!..With utter confidence, I can say this is the worst blueline in the entire NHL. No offense. No zone exits. Can't win puck battles; bad reads and defensive breakdowns. Markstrom is going to age 10 years in the last 24 games.

But by the end of February, or maybe even by the end of this California swing, talk of the Canucks and the playoffs in the same breath will be just revisionist history. Cue up the lottery balls.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
This is why I laugh at those who didn't want Tanev traded in the past. And this is also why I laugh at people who want to re-sign Edler to 3+ years.

Yep. Ship has sailed on Tanev's peak value in a trade.

Maybe as a rental next year, but we've never really sold properly (Vanek for Motte lol) so I won't believe it until I see it.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
This is why I laugh at those who didn't want Tanev traded in the past. And this is also why I laugh at people who want to re-sign Edler to 3+ years.
To think of all of the future assets a competent GM could have brought back by selling at the right time on these guys. So much missed opportunity.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad