Rumor: Chris Tanev in play; Leafs interested

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
Canuck fans want X

Leaf fans only willing to give up Y

Endless bickering. Repeat until Tanev is inevitably traded to some other team for Z value.

To be fair the Tanev to the Leafs started so long ago that the ask at first was much higher but after this last season there really isn't any wiggle room for a car salesmen with those injuries, he is a damn fantastic defensive d but I know I'll be crushed with his return and it won't be because of his skills, the only good thing to come from trading him now is hoping he finds great success.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Everyone even Benning knows how desperate the Leafs are after their d destroyed their playoff chances again. That means because there so desperate would be a steep price, probably steeper then for other teams not so desperate

2018 1st, Liljegren, Brown, 2019 2nd
by this logic, aren't the Canucks even more desperate after their lowly team finished in the bottom 6?

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I think there are waayy better fit for Tanev than the leafs.

Tbay
Pitt
Edm
Winnepeg
Vegas

While nice, we don't have the assets to give up for Tanev. What they want, we can't afford to give up. And while I personally like Tanev and think he would be a good fit, the cost most likely makes it not worth it for him to play 70 (hopefully) games. Unless there is a conditional 1st on the fact he plays at minimum 80 games in the season.

I think to maximize the return on Tanev, that is the way to do it. You could get a real good prospect if you remove the risk of Tanev not playing 20+ games in a year.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Canucks have leverage in any Tanev deal.

They literally have zero reason to trade him for anything less than fair value.

He isnt a free agent.

If someone wants him then the offer needs to be delicous.

You gotta pray tho that he doesnt get traded in your division. Cuz he can be absoloutely fantastic and shut down the other teams best player. Theres a reason Mcdavid raved about him and pointed Tanev out specifically when they play at the Worlds together.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Everyone even Benning knows how desperate the Leafs are after their d destroyed their playoff chances again. That means because there so desperate would be a steep price, probably steeper then for other teams not so desperate

Knowing how much of a bad trader benning is, the package will be something like this:

2018 2nd and Martin

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

:laugh:

what part of "the offers haven't been great" did you misunderstand in that tweet??

and of course they are not great because Chris Tanev is made of wet kleenex.

Reactions: Ragernschnapple

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

He isnt a free agent.

You gotta pray tho that he doesnt get traded in your division. Cuz he can be absoloutely fantastic and shut down the other teams best player. Theres a reason Mcdavid raved about him and pointed Tanev out specifically when they play at the Worlds together.

That doesn't equate leverage. Basically teams are inquiring because the Canucks are rebuilding team and Tanev is a veteran with a little cost control. Yes, they don't have to trade them, but that would be terrible asset management. Do they have to sell him for peanuts? No. But other teams know the risks involved with trading for him. There is no knock on Tanev as a hockey player. The biggest knock is his injury history and plenty of teams are willing to walk away from that kind of risk.

RantanenRavin

Jun 24, 2017
Who don’t the leafs have interest in? That’s more of a head line story.

So tell me, from TSN's top 25 trade bait list,
https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-s-trade-bait-list-1.203546
Who have the leafs actually been linked to? I see about 5 players on the list that they have ever really been linked to, and mostly in no other capacity than pure speculation. Of if you look at those 5, you will notice that they are all defensemen. Kinda makes sense, as that is the biggest weakness in this team. So where do you homers get off using these ridiculous blanket statements like this?

There's 25 kinds of cereal at the store and it's easily conceivable that 5 would stand out that you are interested in. Doesn't mean that you are going to buy them all, you get one, 2 if you're lucky haha

FlyingLeafus

But what about the playoffs?
Jan 4, 2009
Milton
To be fair the Tanev to the Leafs started so long ago that the ask at first was much higher but after this last season there really isn't any wiggle room for a car salesmen with those injuries, he is a damn fantastic defensive d but I know I'll be crushed with his return and it won't be because of his skills, the only good thing to come from trading him now is hoping he finds great success.
Personally, even though I believe he is a good player and might help us out on the back end (barring injuries), at most I would trade Brown and a 2nd and even that stings more than I want it to. For me he's just not an "all in" player, and you're likely to get better value elsewhere.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

2018 1st, Liljegren, 2019 3rd

Edited cause of the whining
Haha be serious.
Take the 1st and the 3rd and consider yourself lucky

LilySmoov

May 14, 2011

2018 1st, Liljegren, 2019 3rd

Edited cause of the whining
Still no.

FlyingLeafus

But what about the playoffs?
Jan 4, 2009
Milton

He isnt a free agent.

"Fair value" is entirely subjective. You will have (some) leverage until next offseason, that's true. Better hope he stays healthy and has a good year.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
That doesn't equate leverage. Basically teams are inquiring because the Canucks are rebuilding team and Tanev is a veteran with a little cost control. Yes, they don't have to trade them, but that would be terrible asset management. Do they have to sell him for peanuts? No. But other teams know the risks involved with trading for him. There is no knock on Tanev as a hockey player. The biggest knock is his injury history and plenty of teams are willing to walk away from that kind of risk.

Then we keep him. Hope he has a healthy season and see what offers are at trade deadline.

The canucks wont lose leverage until the final year of his contract and its evident he isnt re signing with us.

Then we move him for best offer available.

Right now we can wait to be picky

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Isn't that the same guy who moths ago stated a Tanev trade was imminent?
Guess he'll eventually be right unless Tanev retires a Canuck.

Sedinsquared

Apr 22, 2014
Isn't that the same guy who moths ago stated a Tanev trade was imminent?
Guess he'll eventually be right unless Tanev retires a Canuck.

Na, this guy is legit, has been a huge source of info for Canucks fans in the past couple of years.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Tampa has two top 4 rhd, Pittsburgh has two top 4 RD, Winnipeg has three. Toronto has Zaitsez as a top 4 RHD what reasoning goes into that list?

Just because i own a honda civic , im not gonna pass up on a Benz

(I know Tanev isnt a benz. Probably more like a FORD. Fix Or Repair Daily)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad