Chris Tanev Contract Discussion

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The posts attacking Tanev are childish. Calling a man's character into question because of a news report that someone else is interested in hiring him is just stupid.

Tanev does have leverage. He is an NHL quality defenseman, one of the top players in the world. That has worth and gives him leverage.

Gillis has given Tanev leverage by trading Schneider, too. Gillis can't very well walk away from Tanev, now. Losing a second "best young player" in a single offseason for debateable reasons would damage Gillis and the club. I know, it's not like there are stampedes to join the team, now but it could get worse.

On ice, the Canucks appear to have four NHL players under contract on defense. Weber isn't a regular. Corrado is pretty raw (so is Tanev!). Some might remember the Canuck's adventures with shot blocking? If Tortorella actually is a coach who demands that sort of thing don't you need depth to pull it off over a whole season? This is leverage for Tanev.

Tanev might not want to sign with Vancouver or play for Tortorella. That's fair. Schultz chose to live in Edmonton, rather than sign with the Canucks (another obvious bungling by Gillis!). He stated hockey reasons and you have to allow a man room to manage his career as he sees fit. It is Gillis' job to overcome these objections.

Any reasonable observer accepts the Canucks are facing significant challenges this season. It's a matter of opinion how this will go. For example, some see a seasoned starter poised to reclaim his elite status. Others see a washed up hasbeen who didn't win the job on the ice. Which is right? For fans, it doesn't really matter. For Tanev, it's a work issue. As a young defenseman, do you want to be blocking shots for an expensive goalie? It isn't like those shots don't actually hurt anybody, guys get broken legs blocking shots nowadays. Again, the blocking shot thing is just an example. A guy like Tanev is capable of examining a coach's scheme for himself. If he likes the ideas and sees a fit for himself and a chance to excel, then he signs the contract. It's the management's job to sell the player on this kind of stuff. If, after meetings, the player is still not convinced, there is a world of options!

To be frank, i wouldn't want to play for Tortorella either. So i can't say i'd blame Tanev there.

But then, he is a professional, and we don't all get to choose our bosses.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Tanev may make less playing in Europe (not sure why so many of you are taking it as though his agent is claiming that he's about to sign a Kovalchuk contract), but it is a Peter Schaefer-like move that he could make, and it's frankly not wildly unrealistic if it's Switzerland or Finland or something. Obviously not optimal for his development, but if he doesn't have an NHL contract, he doesn't have an NHL contract. It's a gamble he can take if he thinks it'll pay off in the end.

And don't pretend the Canucks wouldn't miss him, even though it's suddenly en vogue on this board to pretend like he's Cam Barker. Even though he is a role player on the Canucks, losing him is indeed a blow to the team's depth (as it was with Schaefer) and he is certainly better than virtually any draft pick they could acquire for him.

I also have to echo Lindgren that Winter's claims simply being reported is not a sign of the media being "in his back pocket", I'm sorry. They are simply passing along what they hear, as expected.

You dont see any hint with not just ziemer, but steve ewin, news 1130, jim jameison all reiterating the same thing the agent says on the same day nearly all at the same time that the agent is simply using the media to further his clients interest?
Yes, they all report it because they all heard it at the same time. On Twitter, how many people tweet the same damn thing as everyone else every few minutes?

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Tanev may make less playing in Europe (not sure why so many of you are taking it as though his agent is claiming that he's about to sign a Kovalchuk contract), but it is a Peter Schaefer-like move that he could make, and it's frankly not wildly unrealistic if it's Switzerland or Finland or something. Obviously not optimal for his development, but if he doesn't have an NHL contract, he doesn't have an NHL contract. It's a gamble he can take if he thinks it'll pay off in the end.

And don't pretend the Canucks wouldn't miss him, even though it's suddenly en vogue on this board to pretend like he's Cam Barker. Even though he is a role player on the Canucks, losing him is indeed a blow to the team's depth (as it was with Schaefer) and he is certainly better than virtually any draft pick they could acquire for him.

But he does, as far as I know from gillis comments on the team1040 and using natural logic the canucks very much want tanev and want him signed, its the battle over either term or price thats the problem...

I also agree I am a big tanev fan and I fully expect him to continue be a canuck and play a good solid role on this team.

To me this is all posturing and panic over nothing like the offer sheet, guess we will find out though.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Yes, they all report it because they all heard it at the same time. On Twitter, how many people tweet the same damn thing as everyone else every few minutes?

Well thats my point, they are being fed the same thing by agent who is simply using them... And these are not just regularly people these are reporters for the media passing it to thousands of fans, now we already see the upset fans yelling that gillis needs to get tanev signed and please dont go to Europe chris. Mission accomplished, the agent is doing his job. It would be nice if one of them would ask the canucks for comment on the situation about tanev possibly going overseas as well to get both sides of the story rather then just passing the agents comments along to the fans all the time, but maybe thats asking to much.

Last edited:

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
^^

There is a certain amount of posturing that goes on...and the media lives for any little kernel of controversy...Because they are suffering through the same dog days of summer that we are.

But the bottom line is, acording to the article, Tanev wants to play in Vancouver and Gillis is confident in signing him.

Cocoa Crisp

Mar 8, 2006
NYC
Using the media as a meand of posturing and quibbling over term means Tanev's camp is ready to initiate their endgame. Fully expecting Tanev to attend training camp after signing a multi-year deal that both parties will publicly proclaim as 'fair for both sides'.

And it's a good thing, too. Tanev is a big part of our defense with, unfortunately for him, little leverage under the current CBA and a falling cap.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
There is a certain amount of posturing that goes on...and the media lives for any little kernel of controversy...Because they are suffering through the same dog days of summer that we are.

No kidding.

We've had to resort to "Torts and his doghouse" as a topic to keep us occupied. These are hard times.

:D

hockeywoot

Oct 29, 2010
China
wouldn't read too much into it.
summer. its slow for news.

look around the league. lots of RFAs yet to be signed.
many players much more valuable than Tanev. (as well as many who are worse)

NHLNucksFan

Mar 6, 2011
Vancouver
wouldn't read too much into it.
summer. its slow for news.

look around the league. lots of RFAs yet to be signed.
many players much more valuable than Tanev. (as well as many who are worse)
Agreed. The local sports reporters have to earn their pay so any news is news.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad